Fantastic fan

Yes, quieter....and more variable. With the remote you can dial it in from 10% to 100% manually....or you can set a temperature and the fan will speed up/slow down to try to hold that temp. "Low" speed on the standard model is about 35% power from matching the sounds each fan makes. When it's 15F outside and you want to move JUST A BIT of air yer out of luck with the standard model. It's just too much airflow....and the heater will run all night trying to keep up.

Don't forget there is also the modification to add a resistor to slow the fan and selector switch to turn the base model fan into a 6 speed fan. But for $60 price differential it may be worthwhile to just pony up for the nicer model if you can swing it. The mod is good if you happen to already have that fan.

Got the details on the mod?

I'm handy with a soldering iron seeing as how I have six of them...

PS, we are mostly "fair" weather campers.

Just a little twist. I installed a vent cover over the fantastic fan.

Good; Can leave the vent open in hot climates. Keeps the camper cooler in hot weather. Cna leave it and not
worry about rain.
Wet weather and you can leave the fan cracked a little to dry out the wet canvas.
Cold weather leave the fan cracked aliitle to keep musty smell at bay.

Bad; Increased height of unit. One time I drove in an under ground parking lot and thought I had enough clearance. I had to let the air out of my air bags to clear the structure. But on the positive it protects the solar panel.

Got the details on the mod?

No need for soldering, just some crimping and wiring.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1329/

I must be the only one who is satisfied with my three speed fan the way it is. :unsure:

Craig, at least you have a fan...
sad.gif

I must be the only one who is satisfied with my three speed fan the way it is. :unsure:

I like the low-low setting offered by the above modification at times, worth the couple bucks to me.

If it's cold outside, why do you need to turn the fan on at all? With that big a temperature difference (inside-outside), natural convection (hot-air rising) will cause plenty of air to vent out without the fan.

It's called condensation, marc. That stuff that most folks fight on the liner of their FWC after a good night's sleep...or after making the mornin' joe-java. The super-low speeds of the 6600 fan allow JUST enough air movement that...at least here in the beautiful Rockies...it keeps the condensation down to almost nil...even with 3 people and 4 dogs crammed in there.

Then there's the white noise. I have a hard time falling asleep when it's totally quiet.....so the myriad of adjustable speeds offers a variety of sones to pick from to lull me into noddyland. Because the 6600 in my Hawk is mounted aft in the camper...the remote allows me to adjust speeds without getting out of bed.

And last but not least...there's partytime to consider... snicker... (if yer nice we'll park upwind from you)

thanks for letting me vent on the topic. Be safe, all.

mtn

It's called condensation, marc.

Ummm...the name's Mark

BTW: Partytime?...I thought that stuff was for "medicinal use"
rolleyes.gif

Either way, no thanks, I'll park upwind...not a fan of second-hand smoke of any type
wink.gif
)

I didn't realize there were so many options for the 6600R.

From http://www.rvvent.com/index.htm. They point out that their remote is wireless radio frequency (if that matters). Price seems comparable.

We offer a choice of 4 lid colors: White (No light through it), White Translucent (some white light), Smoked ( some bluish light) and Clear (all light). A choice of Flat or Standard Dome , Lids. Insulated/double dome lid (standard domes only) are available at extra cost of $19.50 with a new vent purchase. A Choice of Hi or Low profile Luran Bases. A choice of 3 interior colors: White (Like printer paper), Off-White, and Gray. Plus, you will get by supplying a measurement, the proper height trim garnish--no cutting.

Any suggestions for the lid color, dome, or hi or low profile bases? For an ATC Bobcat. Thanks.

Like you say Rob, there are countless choices regarding the 6600R-417 fans. I just got off the phone with the tech people at Fantastic Fans. These folks are great. They basically told me I had at least three options, none of which requires me to buy a whole new fan to upgrade my current stock fan to a 6600R-417. For around $100.00 bucks I can buy the upgrade kit. Buying a whole new unit would cost me a minimum of $242.99.....(best price I have found on-line for a 6600R-417). Since I can reach my current fan from the bed area I don't think I will go with the remote. (although, being a guy, I may have to have just because) Other than the remote I will get all of the same bells and whistles of the 6600R. The main thing I am interested in is the rain sensor closure system. With the sudden downpours common in Colorado, I see this as a good thing. Plus, the upgrade will also work on a thermostat, so when it gets too warm in the camper for fido when I am not there, it will also open and turn on automatically. The other nice thing about the upgrade kit is all of the changes are done from the inside. No need get up on the roof to make any changes. The folks at Fantastic Fans gave me several options and basically could have sold me a new fan but instead, talked me out spending more than I needed to spend, based on my needs. Nice to see that type of service still out there!

Just in case others are confused with all of the options available.

Good Camping,

Paul

That is the basic one most have. Some folks opt for the higher level ones which add remote control, thermostat, etc.

We just upgraded to the top of the line with remote control. We are very happy with the new fan, but the old one worked great too. The big advantages of the one with remote are that if you are short you do not need to reach the ceiling, and it has some very quiet low speeds. All depends on what you need. We have placed the remote holder by the sink where it can easily be reached from all sections of the camper.

Just went out and repaired my fan. It wouldn't turn on. Figured it was probably the dome closed switch and it was. Just a quick turn of the wrench to tighten the nut and I was gtg.

We just upgraded to the top of the line with remote control. We are very happy with the new fan, but the old one worked great too.

Still have the old one???

Ummm...the name's Mark

BTW: Partytime?...I thought that stuff was for "medicinal use"
rolleyes.gif

Either way, no thanks, I'll park upwind...not a fan of second-hand smoke of any type
wink.gif
)

Mark ...

Considering that the WTW's favorite DRUG of choice has absolutely no medicinal value and is used exclusively for the effect it offers, very few folks here (IMO) can comment about "partytime" without being completely hippocritical.
rolleyes.gif

Either way, I fully respect your stance on second-hand smoke. I feel exactly the same way about being subjected to second-hand >drunk<.
rolleyes.gif

hic....

As far as gettin back on topic...I lucked out when I bought my 6600 and got it for $159.95 on Ebay. After I purchased it I had to call FF customer support. When questioned/asked where I got the fan...as well as how much I paid for it...the guy @ FF was very upset that someone was selling units for JUST above cost. Looking at the same seller's page this AM...I see the price is now $229.95....so my guess is that FF came down on him for the low prices.

I'm not all that electrically inclined.... but has anyone looked into a variable speed mod for these fans? (like a rheostat, maybe?) Is there such a thing for 12v systems?

happy trails, all

mtn

Mark ...
Considering that the WTW's favorite DRUG of choice has absolutely no medicinal value and is used exclusively for the effect it offers, very few folks here (IMO) can comment about "partytime" without being completely hippocritical.
rolleyes.gif

I don't drink.

Nevertheless, I totally support the right of anyone to indulge in whatever drugs they need to feel good.
Enjoy!
smile.gif

I didn't realize there were so many options for the 6600R.

From http://www.rvvent.com/index.htm. They point out that their remote is wireless radio frequency (if that matters). Price seems comparable.

We offer a choice of 4 lid colors: White (No light through it), White Translucent (some white light), Smoked ( some bluish light) and Clear (all light). A choice of Flat or Standard Dome , Lids. Insulated/double dome lid (standard domes only) are available at extra cost of $19.50 with a new vent purchase. A Choice of Hi or Low profile Luran Bases. A choice of 3 interior colors: White (Like printer paper), Off-White, and Gray. Plus, you will get by supplying a measurement, the proper height trim garnish--no cutting.

Any suggestions for the lid color, dome, or hi or low profile bases? For an ATC Bobcat. Thanks.

Rob, did you make a final decision on options for your 6600R? I have the same dilema, not sure what combination would work best with the ocelot. If you have any thoughts on it I'd like to know what you found out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom