fast jack removal

HERR42

i hate to leave the jacks on when we travel. we frequently have brush problems and tight spots where the jacks would be an issue.

so i jack the camper up, get the truck under it, and then remove the jacks. now its not too bad since there are only three bolts per jack but, the nylon bushed nuts require a socket on both sides. i dont think i need vibration resistant nuts while sitting on the ground.

has anyone done a more simpler bracket? a single hinge pin gets pulled and the jack drops off? maybe an odd looking toothed bracket that interlocks?
just a thought.

well i am going to put the truck under it now.......and pull the jacks.

I nut a bolt(permanently) on each hole of the jack bracket and then just use a wingnut (handtight)to attach jacks to camper. I remove mine everytime I use my camper (2000' FWC Hawk) and this works very efficiently.

i hate to leave the jacks on when we travel. we frequently have brush problems and tight spots where the jacks would be an issue.

so i jack the camper up, get the truck under it, and then remove the jacks. now its not too bad since there are only three bolts per jack but, the nylon bushed nuts require a socket on both sides. i dont think i need vibration resistant nuts while sitting on the ground.

has anyone done a more simpler bracket? a single hinge pin gets pulled and the jack drops off? maybe an odd looking toothed bracket that interlocks?
just a thought.

well i am going to put the truck under it now.......and pull the jacks.

I just zip the bolts on and off with an impact wrench since I'm right next to the garage.

yes i have taken steps to make the work go as easy as possible...wrenchs are right where theyre needed and i have a spot to stash the jacks, extended, ready to go back on.
but nevertheless, i wonder why there is no slick way to "capture" the jack without using bolts.

I agree locknuts are overkill unless you leave them on. Hmmm, I have an idea. I might be crazy though. Need to do some brainstorming.

yes i have taken steps to make the work go as easy as possible...wrenchs are right where theyre needed and i have a spot to stash the jacks, extended, ready to go back on.
but nevertheless, i wonder why there is no slick way to "capture" the jack without using bolts.

Me too. I'm hoping someone comes up with a quick "lever action"/"quick release"/"slide in/out" mechanism of some kind.

Me too. I'm hoping someone comes up with a quick "lever action"/"quick release"/"slide in/out" mechanism of some kind.

Assuming you're not planning to rock the camper around much (ie go in it) having a square box tubing pin on the camper bracket slide into a larger box tubing receiver on the jack bracket might have some merit. The square shape would limit the rotation around the pin. Then when the truck is on the camper and you release the jack bleed valve (or crank up a mechanical jack) it would allow the jack to slide downward off the pin that is on the camper bracket.

Invent it and they will buy it.

Jeff, this is your invention...You might even make some money out of it. Patent it before someone else reads this thread.

I travel without the jacks and use similar method as GPNAZ. I just bought large wingnuts to replace the locknuts. Afterall, I'm just using the jacks to raise/lower the camper to load/unload it on the truck. No stress and not much chance they will vibrate loose just sitting in the backyard.
BX

I put carriage bolts on my jack brackets, so I do not need a box wrench on one side. Then I just use my 18v impact gun and take the nuts off. I hate driving with the jacks on...

I put carriage bolts on my jack brackets, so I do not need a box wrench on one side. Then I just use my 18v impact gun and take the nuts off. I hate driving with the jacks on...

the holes are round. what keeps the head from rotating?

the holes are round. what keeps the head from rotating?

The brackets on my FWC have oblong holes that accept carriage bolts. They look like they were made for carriage bolts actually

I have a pencil. Oh wait mike borrowed it.

Shees, a good engineer, or an average boy scout would keep an extra pencil. I never was a boy scout, nor am I good engineer, but if you PM me with our address, I'll send you a few extra pencils. ;)

Back
Top Bottom