Favorite Apps?

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
Not sure quite where this topic fits, so here I am at the Lounge.

I just ran into a cool website that helps identify peaks you may see on the horizon.
It's pretty cool, giving you the option of entering GPS coords or selecting a mountain peak.
You can use the website for PeakFinder.org or purchase the app for your phone, which I have not tried.

I put in Mount Humphreys, because that was a spectacular view for me from the summit.

There is supposed to be an app that you can take a pic of any mountain and it will give you the name.

I'd like to see something like this for trees and flowers etc. I'd love to learn as I explore.

MyRadar for the iPad. Turn on wind vectors, HD radar, & clouds and it really helps to see what is going on with the weather.

The wind vectors showed a strong circular pattern off the west coast that produced those 40+ ft waves hitting the coast last week. Atmospheric rivers can be seen with wind & clouds.

It is worth paying the $3 to lose the advertisements. I'm no pilot so no idea of the airflight features.

Paul

Lighthawk said:
Not sure quite where this topic fits, so here I am at the Lounge.

I just ran into a cool website that helps identify peaks you may see on the horizon.
It's pretty cool, giving you the option of entering GPS coords or selecting a mountain peak.
You can use the website for PeakFinder.org or purchase the app for your phone, which I have not tried.

I put in Mount Humphreys, because that was a spectacular view for me from the summit.
Couldn't resist buying the app. There are some peaks in the Sierra that I see from my deck that I always wondered what they are but have been too lazy to identify. Turns out the main one I wanted to identify is Grouse Ridge - never would have guessed that one. This app will be great for my upcoming backpacking trip to New Zealand So Island.
Andy, thanks for sharing this fun app!!

Great Paul!
NZ has long been on our wish list.

Another peak I often see, from Hwy 20 for example, but also by Sierra College is Fall Creek Mountain, just north of Grouse Ridge.

I can recommend vTree (iPhone and iPad). It is set up to first input your area then by a few questions narrow's down the selection. I have tried Leafsnap but it requires to have a photo of a leaf on white paper.... it works then most of the time. Both use a database at a University. Another free one is Garden Answer... free plant ID

Ventusky.com for wind, temp, snow cover, freezing level and other stuff. No radar.
For off shore wind speeds/patterns windytv.com

I'll have to look for MyRadar on my MacBook.

jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom