Favorite Books

I need some ideas on a western states camping book to give as a gift.The friend camps out of a modified ford van,and does go to some out of the way places. Not fwd roads though.

Thanks Frank

California State parks put out a book a while that lists all the state parks, including day parks with des. of access to all of them plus trails, things to see with lots of good info; unfortunately, with 70 parks scheduled :(to close this year don't know what will be still open! But it is a real good reference to what's there!

Smoke

California State parks put out a book a while that lists all the state parks, including day parks with des. of access to all of them plus trails, things to see with lots of good info; unfortunately, with 70 parks scheduled :(to close this year don't know what will be still open! But it is a real good reference to what's there!

Smoke

Thank you,I'll check it out.

Frank

I am addicted to stories. I especially like rural folktales. Be thoroughly forewarned, my recommendation here is a scholarly collection (University of Illinois Press) of some of the filthiest tales you will ever read, and some of the funniest. Do you need some non politically correct reading material to pass around the campfire?

Pissing in the Snow

Here's how I first heard about this book and ran out and bought it shortly thereafter. A friend was a member of an arctic expedition in the mid 80's - retracing the route of one of the Franklin rescue missions, on skis pulling sleds across the pack ice. On the commercial flight to Resolute the expedition leader read this book out loud to the flight attendants. That had to have been an interesting flight.

I am addicted to stories.
I think there's a 12-step program for that, ski, and you've already taken the first step: you've admitted it.

I especially like rural folktales. Be thoroughly forewarned, my recommendation here is a scholarly collection (University of Illinois Press) of some of the filthiest tales you will ever read, and some of the funniest. Do you need some non politically correct reading material to pass around the campfire?

Pissing in the Snow

I'm more of a social folktale-reader, but I do like to indulge at times...and this looks like a good one to have for passing time at night or foul-weather in the camper.
Thanks for the tip. :)

Illinois Press) of some of the filthiest tales you will ever read, and some of the funniest. Do you need some non politically correct reading material to pass around the campfire?

Pissing in the Snow

Being in higher education for 30 years I'm sick of the politically correct so thanks for the tip, now enroute.

Wow, a lot of great sounding reads in this thread.

I have a couple.

The last go round: A real Western - Ken Kesey and Ken Babbs
About the Pendeleton rodeo in the early 1900's

Collosus - Mich Jiltzik
The building of the Hoover Dam and the reshaping of the Colorado River basin

The courses which affected me most greatly during college were offered in the Department of Philosophy and Religion and were taken to meet general college requirements. A religon course exposed me to Vine Deloria, Jr and "God is Red: A Native View of Religion", an entirely engrossing study of American Indian religion. Deloria was probably best known for "Custer Died for your Sins: An Indian Manifesto"

In order to learn about the Nebraska Sandhills, last year I read "The Cattlemen" and "Old Jules", each by Mari Sandoz. Old Jules was Sandoz's father and was a homesteading pioneer in and around the Sandhills. The Cattlemen is a fine depiction of the development of the cattle industry and the many conflicts between settled populations and cattle operations which required vast swaths of public land for grazing and drives to railheads.

I've chosen not to read John Wesley Powell's tome on the descent of the Green and Colorado Rivers due to the fact that it was written years after the trip and seems somewhat embellished, but I'm currently halfway through "Down the Great Unknown", (Edward Dolnick, 2001) and am enjoying his inclusion of biographical background of Powell, his co-venturers, and a short chapter about Powell's Civil War experience, which cost him an arm at Shiloh. Powell & Company might be referred to as experts in "How NOT to Wander The West", at least where their complete lack of whitewater boating skills were concerned.

Foy

A recent read that I enjoyed very much. Most all of us have heard of him but I personally didn't know why he was such a legend. This guy should have been killed countelss times....Kit Carson was a bad @ss in every sense of he word.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Thunder-Carson-Conquest-American/dp/1400031109

103436198.jpg

<snip>

In order to learn about the Nebraska Sandhills, last year I read "The Cattlemen" and "Old Jules", each by Mari Sandoz. Old Jules was Sandoz's father and was a homesteading pioneer in and around the Sandhills. The Cattlemen is a fine depiction of the development of the cattle industry and the many conflicts between settled populations and cattle operations which required vast swaths of public land for grazing and drives to railheads.

<snip

I will second Foy's recommendation of Old Jules , an excellent book and I will add The Cattleman to my very growing list. Thanks!

I will second Foy's recommendation of Old Jules , an excellent book and I will add The Cattleman to my very growing list. Thanks!

ski3pin,

There is a compilation of short stories (actually nonfiction, not fictional short stories in the literary sense) entitled "Leaning Into The Wind" (or was it leaning AGAINST the wind?). Editor and publisher forgotten. Anyway, the stories are testimonials about life in the far West and the plains as experienced by girls and women, individuals whose stories are seldom told. My wife picked up a copy at the used bookstore in West Yellowstone, MT about 10 years ago, and I found one on Amazon to send to an elderly client who grew up on a dry-land farm in western Kansas. The client was thrilled to have it, as she said it reminded her very much of growing up under difficult conditions in the 1920s and 1930s. One of the pieces describes modern life in Montana's Big Hole, where cow-calf operations and haying fascinate me due to the extreme winter and summer conditions out there. The ranch families send their kids to Dillon during the week to board with other high school families, as the only HS in Beaverhead County is there. The kids come home for the weekends only, and not every one at that, as those participating in weekend sports games can't get home regularly due to Fri and Sat night games. What a difference from urban/suburban upbringings.

Foy

Foy, is this it?

Leaning into the Wind

if so, this looks like a good read. Thanks for the tip. My list gets longer!

That's the one, ski3pin. As noted, the ladies seem to enjoy this collection, especially those who grew up on farms or ranches.

Enjoy!

Foy

I received The California Deserts as a holiday gift and am really enjoying it. For those of you who have traveled Dedeckera Canyon and the Steel Pass route, the introduction will capture your interest.
I recommend this book.

This book came out in 93 and not many people heard of it but once disco0vered, was soon adapted and read by the whole resource staff of our BLM office; it pushed me into trying to do more of what is called environmental or holistic archaeology. The Desert's Past ,A Natural Prehistory of the Great Basin, by Don Grayson (Smithsonian Institution, 1993). . The guy is a real good writer (unlike allot of geologists/archaeologists):LOL: and makes science interesting and understandable to the layman.

You guys convinced me: I just ordered both of these. :)

I paid extra for shipping (Amazon) to make sure I receive them by Thursday...just in case I leave on my trip Friday morning, I want to take them with me.

Not a book, but maybe the most amazing "nature" video I have ever seen. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/darwin-never-knew.html

Gene, thanks for the tip. This is available on Netflix and we watched it last night. Science is so interesting! And then last night I read in The California Deserts that the evolution of the pupfishes is just as enlightening as Darwin's finches. Wonderful.

... The Desert's Past ,A Natural Prehistory of the Great Basin, by Don Grayson (Smithsonian Institution, 1993). ....

You guys convinced me: I just ordered both of these.
I paid extra for shipping (Amazon) to make sure I receive them by Thursday...just in case I leave on my trip Friday morning, I want to take them with me.

So....I received this book today, having paid extra for 1-day shipping.

I looked at the cover: "Hmmm....this looks familiar... Does Jim have this book? Where have I seen this before...?"
unsure.gif

I looked at a dusty stack of books on the lower shelf of my coffee table. Some great titles there:
Mountain Light, by Galen Rowell
Outcroppings, by John McPhee, photos by Tom Till
Alaska: Images of the Country, photos by Galen Rowell, text by John McPhee
A Vast and Ancient Wilderness: Images of the Great Basin, by Claude Fiddler
The Sagebrush Ocean, by Stephen Trimble
and...
The Desert's Past: A Natural Prehistory of the Great Basin, by Don Grayson !
ohmy.gif

rolleyes.gif
Anybody want a copy of this fine hardcover book in like-new condition? Available at cost: $20 (OBO). (purchased "Used, like-new" from Amazon marketplace)
I'll be down the east side of the Sierras as well as in the Redding area over the next couple of weeks, so I can hand-deliver it at no additional charge!
smile.gif

Maybe I should do a little inventory of what I own...perhaps even a little house-cleaning. I really don't want to be featured on an episode of Hoarders.
tongue.gif

(and to top it off: I'm now not leaving on my trip until Monday, so I didn't actually need 1-day shipping! oh well...)

Been there, done that..........

Q: What's the one sure-fire way to find something you've lost track of (be it misplaced or perhaps just forgotten about)?

A: Get another one. The first one will turn up immediately upon receipt.

A CA Benchmark,like new, anybody? :rolleyes:

Foy

So....I received this book today, having paid extra for 1-day shipping.

I looked at the cover: "Hmmm....this looks familiar... Does Jim have this book? Where have I seen this before...?"
unsure.gif

I looked at a dusty stack of books on the lower shelf of my coffee table. Some great titles there:
Mountain Light, by Galen Rowell
Outcroppings, by John McPhee, photos by Tom Till
Alaska: Images of the Country, photos by Galen Rowell, text by John McPhee
A Vast and Ancient Wilderness: Images of the Great Basin, by Claude Fiddler
The Sagebrush Ocean, by Stephen Trimble
and...
The Desert's Past: A Natural Prehistory of the Great Basin, by Don Grayson !
ohmy.gif

rolleyes.gif
Anybody want a copy of this fine hardcover book in like-new condition? Available at cost: $20 (OBO). (purchased "Used, like-new" from Amazon marketplace)
I'll be down the east side of the Sierras as well as in the Redding area over the next couple of weeks, so I can hand-deliver it at no additional charge!
smile.gif

Maybe I should do a little inventory of what I own...perhaps even a little house-cleaning. I really don't want to be featured on an episode of Hoarders.
tongue.gif

(and to top it off: I'm now not leaving on my trip until Monday, so I didn't actually need 1-day shipping! oh well...)

Sorry Mark-but its still a damn good book (I'm even rereading it again) -carry it with you and give it (sell) to some traveler out there who you want to impress or who is in need of some good reading! Well I've been waiting for someone to mention Terry C. Johnston and his Mountain Men novels, and Sons of the Plains, the Plainsmen novels, I mean how would life be without Titus Bass and his mule Sarah and where would the west be without Semus leading the US Army into every battle ever fought in the West! I understand Johnson died a few years back and I always wanted to take that tour he gave every summer of all the battle sites and places he mentioned in numerous historical novels! Really if no one has ever read him before, make sure you start at the first of each group. Just pulled A Cold day in Hell -the Dull Knife Battle-1876 out of a pile of his books-might be time to reread that. After I finish Keary's March-The Epic Creation Of the American West, 1846-1847 by Groom that is, looks like it might be a good guide for a long road adventure. Sort of, after I follow the Louis and Clark Trail east to St Louis, maybe take his march back-if I live long enough! Ah-so many books to read and places to see:cool:! How could you throw a book out, Mark, give it to someone! I could never part with a good book unless it goes to someone that will enjoy it-but I have no room left in the house-it may be time-no no!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom