Favorite Books

The Lady & I recently made a trip to Eugene, OR and did some "citified" stuff in the rain. Citified for us is hit a thrift shop and a used book store.

I love western history and I picked up a copy of High Noon in Lincoln by Robert Utley, published by University of New Mexico Press.

High Noon in Lincoln

This is a scholarly account of the Lincoln County War where Billy the Kid is merely a footnote. It is a story without heroes and without any romance of the west.

It is a shock that myth and legend grew out of such a lawless episode. I found the story fascinating and recommend this book to folks who share an interest in history.

A few books for southwest history buffs:
"Black Range Tales" by McKenna. DD might like this one as McKenna was a prospector/miner in the 1870's and 1880's in the Colorado and New Mexico mining areas.
Howard Bryan's "Robbers, Rogues, and Ruffians", "True Tales of the American Southwest", "Wildest of the Wild West", and books on Santa Fe and on Albuquerque. Bryan was a fellow who moved to New Mexico from Indiana in the 1940's. He found that there were people still alive who had lived the 'wild west' so he collected oral histories and scouted the old newspaper files.

This one is a little different but it does have to do with western history and exploration.

Final Flight

This well written book combines many aspects that make this a recommended read - mountaineering, the High Sierra, a mystery, excellent research and investigative work, and returning fallen heroes home after more than 60 years.

My nightstand next to the bed is almost sacred territory. The Lady leaves it's stacks of books and dogeared magazines alone until she just can't stand it anymore. Truth is many times in becomes uncontrollable for me. I just finished two books and was digging through the pile. I had one in mind. Then I discovered one book I did not recognize. I believe it was a holiday gift. It certainly looked like a book I would enjoy, and I am, immensely.

Passing Through: An Existential Journey Across America's Outback

Now I have to diplomatically figure out who gave me this book and say thanks again.

Highly recommended.

Great topic 3pin- I hope this thread lasts a long time and expands in different directions too. My current read is Running Dry by Jonathon Waterman. It combines his 1400 mile trip down the Colorado with some history of the river and his knowledge of the present water problems. I found it a good read and an eye opener. Murr

Great topic 3pin- I hope this thread lasts a long time and expands in different directions too. My current read is Running Dry by Jonathon Waterman. It combines his 1400 mile trip down the Colorado with some history of the river and his knowledge of the present water problems. I found it a good read and an eye opener. Murr

Thanks Murr, I'm checking it out now. :)

I have to diverse here and open up the topic a bit. Here are some eclectic titles which I've enjoyed immensely:

Into the Silence - Wade Davis
Rubicon - Tom Holland
Skeletons on the Zaraha - Dean King
Let My People go Surfing - Yvon Chinard
Albatross - Tui De Roy
Sea Sick - Alana Mitchell
The Man Who Loved China - Simon Winchester
Slow Death by Rubber Duck - Rick Smith

I thought I'd check out Desert Solitude but I ducked on that one when the cheapest price I could find was $760.00
I'll settle for Desert Solitaire. Good recommendation I'm sure.

I want to thank Murr for recommending Running Dry

I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style and subject matter and the author's journey of discovery. I highly recommend Running Dry and it should be required reading for anyone who cares about the West.

Stepping away from the deserts of the western US for a moment, allow me to recommend a fine book about early motorized exploration of the Libyan Desert of central and southern Libya and western Egypt. The book is "The Lost Oasis: The Desert War and the Hunt for Zerzura", by Saul Kelly. Kelly describes the history of automobile-supported exploration and mapping of this desert, roughly the size of the Indian Subcontinent, starting in the late 19th Century. The pace picked up considerably in World War I with the British Army's "Light Car Patrols", and between the wars a core group of British Army officers stationed in Egypt famously spent many months of their leave and much of their own money outfitting Ford Model A cars with "wide sand-tyres" of a whopping 3.5" tread width. Lead by Penrose Medal awardee Ralph Bagnold, they pioneered closed-circuit expansion chambers to keep boiled-out radiator fluid from escaping, navigation by sun-compass, off-road driving techniques, and discovered entire mountain ranges not visited by man since the desertification of the Sahara between 5,000 and 7,000 years ago. Bagnold became a Fellow of Royal Geographical Society, and was awarded the Penrose Medal by the Geological Society of America in 1970, in recognition of his pioneering work on formation and migration of desert dune systems.

When World War II broke out, Bagnold and his former desert exploration buddies were reunited and formed the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG). The LRDG outfitted far more modern vehicles, such as half-ton to one-ton rated 2-wheel drive Chevy pickups, with the latest in sun compasses, sand channels, long-distance radio apparatus, and .50 caliber Browning machine guns and routinely traveled hundreds and hundreds of miles across the desert, supported by only by what they could carry and by resupplying at strategically placed dumps, to perform recon and to maintain a "road watch" along the coast highway, where Rommel's supply line activities could be observed with strong implications as to his plans. The occasional "beat-up" of supply columns was subsequently Americanized and embellished to become historical background for the 1960s TV series "The Rat Patrol". Bagnolds pre-war and wartime interaction with Count Almasy of Hungary was embellished and made into water-cooler chat by the book and movie "The English Patient", where certain real-life rock-art sites, such as the Cave of Swimmers, are described.

In addition to the Kelly book, William Kennedy Shaw was an officer in LRDG and wrote their official history in 1943, following the disbanding of the outfit once Rommel was defeated and left North Africa. Kennedy Shaw's book is not politically correct in the descriptions of native populations and of the Italian military, Rommel's allies in North Africa (actually, Rommel came to North Africa to save the Italians from being routed by the British). Despite the rough language and racist commentary, Kennedy Shaw's book "Long Range Desert Group: WWII Action in North Africa", is a great read on how the LRDG was formed, their transport (sort of a "how to Wander the West in a 1940 2-wheel drive Chevy"), their logistics and navigation skills, and their underlying love of the desert and exploring it.

Here in the 21st century, a Hungarian by the name of Andras Zboray runs a website devoted to desert exploration which can be found at www.fjexpeditions.com. Zboray runs annual tours in between outbreaks of armed violence. His writing and photography are first-rate, and one could spend many, many hours just noodling around his website. Plus, if you contact him via email and express interest in his work, he'll send you an email Christmas card every year!

Foy

Foy
The book sounds interesting and I'd like to read it but I wouldn't necessarily recommend a similar one: Lost Oasis- in search of paradise by Twigger, Robert. Sounds like the same area, same topic and maybe even the same guide - offhand who knows- but I felt it was badly in need of an editor. Murr

Foy
The book sounds interesting and I'd like to read it but I wouldn't necessarily recommend a similar one: Lost Oasis- in search of paradise by Twigger, Robert. Sounds like the same area, same topic and maybe even the same guide - offhand who knows- but I felt it was badly in need of an editor. Murr

Murr,
A 120 second skimming of the Amazon listing and 4 reviews tells me I have no interest in Twigger's account. It seems lightweight in terms of the history of desert exploration in Libya and Egypt. Probably entertaining, however, but seems to not be an in-depth piece. Kelly's, on the other hand, is excellent.

"The Lost Oasis" of Zerzura (Valley of the Little Birds)is the subject of considerable legend in North Africa. As desertification advanced and the process was completed with the deposition of tens of thousands of square miles of dunes, springs were buried and hidden, and the relatively few which survived became oases. Traders formed routes between oases, but their limiting factor was a camel's "between water" range, which if I recall correctly is something on the order of 200 miles. Given the aerial extent of the Great Sand Sea and the gravel plains and barren mountains surrounding it, a huge block of territory was un-reachable by camel-borne traders and explorers. Then came the automobile, and with some modifications, some skill, and some huge cojones, the Light Car Patrols and their peactime follow-ons in the form of the Bagnold boys entered, explored, and mapped territory not accessed by man, at least not by anybody who survived their trip, for around 5,000 years.

As previously noted, of considerable interest to me are the logistics of the LRDG's outfitting of their trucks, their fuel, water, and food rationing, and their communications (they used normal military field radios but employed routine nightly atmospheric "skip" conditions to extend the very short range to hundreds of miles). There were flathead V-8 factory Ford 4WD trucks available and some were used early on, but the fuel consumption was around twice that of the inline-6 cylinder 2WD Chevys, so they stripped the Chevys of much sheet metal (including removing the tops altogether), beefed up the springs, fitted 10.5" wide "sand tyres", and became experts in reading soil conditions on the fly to minimize getting stuck. Once jeeps became available, parts of the patrols used them for command cars, but the very limited load-carrying capacity of the jeeps meant the Chevys remained the primary workhorses of the LRDG. You can get a good look at the Chevys and the jeeps, including the famous SAS jeeps, on the LRDG website.

Foy

I wondering if we shouldn't split this thread three ways: guide books, adventure/historical account books, and fiction?

Anyway, I have to add two of my favorite books, both historical accounts of real adventures. Actually, probably two of the most amazing adventure/survival tales out there:

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, Nathaniel Philbrick.
This is the true story that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick. A Nantucket whaler was sunk by a whale in the Pacific in the early 1700s. This is the first-hand account of one of the only three from the whole crew to survive a several month ordeal floating around in the middle of the Pacific. You won't be able to put it down.

The Worst Journey in the World, Apsley Cherry-Garrard.
This is the full account of Robert Scott's failed attempt at the South Pole. I'd say this is every bit as good/exciting as Shackleton's misadventures. Cherry-Garrard uses his own journal from the trip, combined with passages from Scott and others'. I'm just finishing the audiobook version, which is particularly good due the brilliant British accent. I just want biscuits and tea while listening. And the books is just $2.99 on Kindle.

I wondering if we shouldn't split this thread three ways: guide books, adventure/historical account books, and fiction?

Anyway, I have to add two of my favorite books, both historical accounts of real adventures. Actually, probably two of the most amazing adventure/survival tales out there:

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, Nathaniel Philbrick.
This is the true story that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick. A Nantucket whaler was sunk by a whale in the Pacific in the early 1700s. This is the first-hand account of one of the only three from the whole crew to survive a several month ordeal floating around in the middle of the Pacific. You won't be able to put it down.

The Worst Journey in the World, Apsley Cherry-Garrard.
This is the full account of Robert Scott's failed attempt at the South Pole. I'd say this is every bit as good/exciting as Shackleton's misadventures. Cherry-Garrard uses his own journal from the trip, combined with passages from Scott and others'. I'm just finishing the audiobook version, which is particularly good due the brilliant British accent. I just want biscuits and tea while listening. And the books is just $2.99 on Kindle.

Might as well add a fine biography of Apsley Cherry-Garrard, entitled "Cherry" to the list. Not only do some of the details of the polar expeditions and how they were organized and funded become clearer, but for those of us with little understanding of the English social and political systems of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it's a great read on how the British Labour party movement of the 1920s and beyond was rooted in the class warfare of the age. I'd always had some notion of how and why we Scots-Irish historically despised the Brits, but holy smoke, never much of an idea as to exactly why.

Foy

Thank you all for the good suggestions.  
I recently finished Passionate Nomad: The Life of Freya Stark by Jane Fletcher Geniesse, published in 2001.  
Freya Stark, a most charming English woman raised in Italy, adventured without official approval deep into forbidden areas of the Middle East, primarily in the time between World Wars I & II.  She gained the respect of local tribe leaders with her knowledge of the language, religion and acceptance of the culture.  The information she brought back about the previously unexplored regions allowed her to correct and extend maps which won her praise from the English military and the Royal Geographical Society. Freya Stark was apparently a very captivating writer. I must admit I had never heard of her until I found this book at the book exchange in the Mark Spencer Hotel, Portland, Or.
Passionate Nomad is so well written that I will be reading more by both Jane Fletcher Geniesse and Freya Stark

There is a certain madness comes over one at the mere sight of a good map. Freya Stark: Letters from Syria

Thank you all for the good suggestions.
I recently finished Passionate Nomad: The Life of Freya Stark by Jane Fletcher Geniesse, published in 2001.
Freya Stark, a most charming English woman raised in Italy, adventured without official approval deep into forbidden areas of the Middle East, primarily in the time between World Wars I & II. She gained the respect of local tribe leaders with her knowledge of the language, religion and acceptance of the culture. The information she brought back about the previously unexplored regions allowed her to correct and extend maps which won her praise from the English military and the Royal Geographical Society. Freya Stark was apparently a very captivating writer. I must admit I had never heard of her until I found this book at the book exchange in the Mark Spencer Hotel, Portland, Or.
Passionate Nomad is so well written that I will be reading more by both Jane Fletcher Geniesse and Freya Stark

There is a certain madness comes over one at the mere sight of a good map. Freya Stark: Letters from Syria

Foy

Try Philbrook's next book "Sea of Glory" about an 1840's US Navy exploration/mapping in the Pacific-which most people never heard off or his latest "The Last Stand" about Custer-good books. Try Michael Asher's " Death in the Sahara " about the French Timbuktu massacre or Kings' "Skeletons on the Zahara" for some unknown desert adventures! I've got a pretty extensive arctic collection and found another unknown book about the introduction of rain deer and their later rescue in 1898 (in A far Country: John Taliaferro) a real good read! Just picked up "Bitter Waters" by David Bain, about America's forgotten 1848 navel mission to the Dead Sea-now I never heard of this adventure before, so I can't wait to start it. Looking at maps, planning for adventures and when you can't do it your self, reading about other adventures is what's it all about! Ah to be born a couple of hundred years ago, and be a mountain man or on some of those early army mapping expeditions to the west-guess just have to settle for the Black Rock Desert and find places to go with my FWC on all those BLM/USFS and other maps I have! That's probably why I became an archaeologist-just exploring the past from the present!

Smoke

I have to add the most amazing NF account: 'A land so strange' by Resendez, Andres. It's about Cabeza de Vaca and a group of colonists in Cuba in 1528 that try to capture the rebel Cortez who had sailed away with his small army. Cabeza's group of 300 landed in Florida and began to hike overland to the Pacific. 296 died fairly quickly and the surviving 4 undertook this 8 year adventure. Four of the 8 years were spent as slaves of the locals then they morphed into healers and did quite well. It goes without saying that like the survivors of 'Skeletons on the Zahara' their journey was quite extraordinary. Some very interesting comments too on the natives they encountered along the way. Murr

To make this topic more useable to all of us I created a spreadsheet and entered everyone's suggestions. Janet H., on the tech admin team here converted it into a Google document.

WTW Favorite Book List

The classifications and the placement of the suggested books into the classes I choose was my decision. Please just ask for an edit if I've screwed up. I also added a column with the specific post the book is mentioned in so you can read the comments on "why" its on the list. I believe this is sortable at the top of the columns.

I hope this makes this information more accessible. Somebody have a better idea? I like better ideas because I usually come up with the hardest way to do a task. :oops:

Most of the titles are linked to Amazon only because its an easy way to get additional information. This is not an endorsement or promotion.

Thanks Ski. Good timing and excellent work. I opened the WTW site to browse for books to read during my upcoming shoulder surgery recovery and, abracadabra, there they are in easily searchable format. Amazing. Thank you for what you bring to WTW.

I hope this makes this information more accessible.

Wow, that is a lot of effort put to a good result. That is an impressive reading list. Thanks a lot for doing this.

Anything by Terry Hodges. I started with Sabertooth. Starts when game wardens didn't have radios or carry guns.

http://www.gamewarden.net/

Back
Top Bottom