Fernley to Lovelock, Nevada

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
That tufa is just mind blowing. Never seen anything like it.
Doesn't look like things end well for the fellow in the black SUV.
Awaiting Part II.

Glad the Nexus and BC Nav is continuing to be a useful tool set.

Wow, fascinating rock formations, I didn't realize at first how immense they are. You guys sure find a lot of beauty and history on your "wanderings". I'm looking forward to part 2. Thanks for sharing, Brad

Thanks for another stellar report - those tufa formations are amazing. Thanks also for mentioning the app for the Nexus - I need something like that for my Nexus 7.

Looking forward to Part 2.

That close-up, #20 of 37, defintely shows a crosscutting relationship. The coarse crystals within the intrusion suggest hydrothermal fluids filling a fracture. Looks like a sign of contact metamorphism where the vein material contacts the wall rock. That's the "rind" looking border between the vein and the wall rock.

OUTRAGEOUS tufas! Now I've got you looking for northeast-facing Lahontan shorelines at around 1,370 m above sea level all over western Nevada, don't I?

Foy

Lighthawk said:
Glad the Nexus and BC Nav is continuing to be a useful tool set.

steelhead said:
<snip> Thanks also for mentioning the app for the Nexus - I need something like that for my Nexus 7.
The Lighthawks deserve credit for introducing us to the Google tablets and the Backcountry Navigator Pro app. Thanks guys! I have hundreds of dollars invested in the old National Geographic TOPO! software that I still use extensively on the PC. With the Backcountry Navigator app (for around $10, if I remember right) I can download maps, maps, maps. Isn't technology grand!

What is most amazing it how well the GPS antenna works in the tablet. Our handheld Garmin will not work in the cab of the truck - I have to use an external antenna. The tablet works great.

Foy said:
That close-up, #20 of 37, defintely shows a crosscutting relationship. The coarse crystals within the intrusion suggest hydrothermal fluids filling a fracture. Looks like a sign of contact metamorphism where the vein material contacts the wall rock. That's the "rind" looking border between the vein and the wall rock.

OUTRAGEOUS tufas! Now I've got you looking for northeast-facing Lahontan shorelines at around 1,370 m above sea level all over western Nevada, don't I?

Foy
Somehow I just knew you would enjoy a close up of that intrusion! :)

Outrageous tufa indeed! The search is on! :)

N'kwala said:
<snip> Fascinating country.

GroovyDad said:
You two find the neatest stuff, even the most overlooked and desolate areas.

Yeah, I think most folks think the section between Lovelock and Fernley is something to be endured rather than enjoyed. We were even surprised at what we found and now have a growing list of more things to see out there.

Thanks all for your continuing kind comments about our trips. We really appreciate it. :)

Back
Top Bottom