Fiberglass Exterior Hawk

AshleyR

Hi All,

Newby question. We're interested in buying a FW Hawk for winter use and have some concerns about condensation. I've read through a lot of the forum posts and was wondering if anybody out there has a fiberglass sided FW camper and can weigh in on whether or not it helps limit condensation when winter camping?

Thanks

Doubt anybody has a fiberglass sided 4W camper. At any rate the condensation we've seen in our Eagle has been on the flexible material part of the popup and not on the hardsides which are insulated. We have eliminated the condensation by using reflectix insulation to make our own "Artic Pack". This combined with our catalytic heater keeps us toasty and dry.

-BillM

Yeah, I don't think the glass sided campers are very popular. I do like the "look" but they are heavier, expensive/difficult to repair compared to the alum and that $650 could be spent on much more useful options. They are nice looking though.

Condensation has never been a problem for me. I do a fair amount of cold weather camping and with the factory furnace and arctic pak I never really have had any issues.

We have the standard siding. If you look at how the FWC's are built there is foam insulation in the structure walls. We also have an arctic pack and furnace and do not see a much, if any, condensation inside the camper. We do get condensation on the inside of the soft pop-up material between arctic pack and pull the arctic pack down for a couple of days after each trip to make sure it is all dried out. I have seen comments about condensation under the mattress, but we have never seen this.

Ashley,

If you're using the camper in cold weather conditions like I do (we use it for snowmobiling) you're going to get condensation just the same on the tin exterior FWC as with the FRP (fiberglass re-inforced paneling) campers. Ventilation along with Dri-Z-Air containers will be your friend however, this product is best suited for storage applications than with weekend use IMHO, just air out your camper before you close the top for long periods of time. My advise for you is to go with whatever type of siding you like more considering what $$ you have to spend in your budget and what your needs are. Yes the FRP (smooth) siding is better looking and easier to clean, but it also is a bit heavier and costs more as the previous people have posted. In either case you should follow JHa6av8r's advice above by completing a post-camping maintenance of the inside components, prior to letting the camper sit for a long period of time. It will help the camper last much longer life for your family.

I have the smooth FRP siding and don't see any issues other than what the folks above said with the moisture behind the arctic-pack insulation.

I love it...

Kilroy

Thanks everybody. Glad to see that folks think the fibergalss is more for looks than functionality. More $ for gas and a portable generator :) I've read about the DIY artic pac and I think I will go that route as well.

Again, thanks for the help. I'm sure more questions will follow.

I've read about the DIY artic pac and I think I will go that route as well.

I was torn about spending the money on the Polar Pack from FWC. But I am really glad that I spent the extra money to get the factory arctic pack.

I was torn about spending the money on the Polar Pack from FWC. But I am really glad that I spent the extra money to get the factory arctic pack.

x2

JHa6av8 and Overland Hadley,

Can you explain why you are happy with the arctic pack?

JHa6av8 and Overland Hadley,

Can you explain why you are happy with the arctic pack?

It looks good and the fit is excellent (custom sewn), which makes it a breeze to put up and take down. And it works well to insulate the camper by creating a dead space. It definitely makes it feel cozier as well as physically warmer. Condensation between the layers is definitely an issue at any temps below 10C and gets greater (worse) as they dip. Below freezing there is a lot of ice buildup from breathing at night. Having said that its never created an issue other than being something I notice and attempt to clean up.

Keep in mind I speak from real experience. I have spent a total of 1 night in my camper without having to use the heater! And I sleep hot. We seem to be attracted to (and located in/near) cold places.

Back
Top Bottom