Fill water tank?

kingb

Another newbie question...

What is the best way to fill the FWC water tank? I live in an apartment and don't have access to a hose, and I'd also like to fill it from streams, etc.

Thanks!

What I carry is a coiled , slinky type water hose. I've found it easy to find potable water most everywhere. Most camp grounds have hose bib type faucets and you can fill up for free. Also with a smile and a polite request, gas stations, markets and restaurants will let you fill your water tank. Other locations are RV dump stations and visitor centers. Last year at this time I drove to Alaska and in over 5 weeks of travel I never had trouble finding fresh water.

As far as filling the tank without a hose, some folks use a large water jug with a short hose and set it on the roof to drain into the tank. That way you don't have hold the 5 gallons while it empties.

Sanitizing a water tank is a PITA. So unless you are sure the stream water is disease free I would avoid that as a water source.

mike

Thanks for your help, Mike. I'm also going to Alaska for 6 weeks or so this summer. As you can tell, I have a lot to learn before then, but I'm sure I'll end up learning a lot on the way, too.

Steve

What I carry is a coiled , slinky type water hose. I've found it easy to find potable water most everywhere. Most camp grounds have hose bib type faucets and you can fill up for free. Also with a smile and a polite request, gas stations, markets and restaurants will let you fill your water tank. Other locations are RV dump stations and visitor centers. Last year at this time I drove to Alaska and in over 5 weeks of travel never had trouble finding fresh water.

As far as filling the tank without a hose, some folks use a large water jug with a short hose and set it on the roof to drain into the tank. That way you don't have hold the 5 gallons while it empties.

Sanitizing a water tank is a PITA. So unless you are sure the stream water is disease free I would avoid that as a water source.

mike

A friend of mine told me that on a recent camping trip he filled the water tank in his Airstream trailer by filling a 5-gal container from a stream (several times). I asked him, "What about giardia?" He said, "We don't drink it, just for other uses." and then, "As a kid we drank from streams all the time while hiking." I did the same thing....but I was a kid in an earlier millenium.
I'm sure that the danger of infection from most wildland streams is way overblown...but still, I wouldn't do it. I hear that giardia, while curable, is pretty unpleasant (at a USFS campground in WA, a sign next to the stream warned of "explosive diarrhea" :eek:) -- but I've never experienced it myself. I do know that diarrhea and camping aren't a fun combination. But I don't really know how common a problem this really is -- I'd be interested in finding out. I'm sure it depends on where you are, how close to a clean source (deep spring, fresh snow-bank, etc.) the surface water is, etc. Maybe I'll look into it.

http://www.adventureplus.org/giardia%202003.pdf

this was a bit controversial when it came out and somewhat different than what you hear from the filter manufacturers. This was also reported in National Geographic Adventure Magazine. My bottom line is that the majority of illness attributed to outdoor living comes from poor hygiene practices and not giardia.

http://www.adventure...rdia%202003.pdf
...the majority of illness attributed to outdoor living comes from poor hygiene practices ...
This is the kind of info I was looking for, thanks! I see this guy's focus was on the "high sierra"...so other places could have a non-ignorable risk. But since I believe in rational risk assessment, I need to factor in this new (to me) info.
Personally, I practice poor hygiene at home...builds up my immune system.
tongue.gif

My Hawk came with a white food grade hose. I tank up with well water at home and haven't had to get water on the road yet, but have a jiggler hose to siphon with. When I smell some of the chemical odor coming off my old deteriorating PVC(?) hoses, I am concerned about contamination. Actually, just threw that hose out.

Kingb,
do not drink straight from the stream. It is too dangerous. besides giardia, Cryptosporidium and all kinds of other bacterium you do not want to ingest. I am a water operator and know how dirty a surface water source can be. Just because it looks clean, does not mean there is a dead animal up stream around the bend that you dont see, or some un cool campers using the stream as there personal toilet.
You have to use some sense in this. If you do fill up to use it only for cleaning, remember, you might not want to brush your teeth in it.
Sorry, I could go on and on, but play it safe. If you have to get a gallon bucket, or a five gallon bucket and a step stool and do a slow pour. Just think of how buffed you'll look after you're done.

What I carry is a coiled , slinky type water hose. I've found it easy to find potable water most everywhere. Most camp grounds have hose bib type faucets and you can fill up for free. Also with a smile and a polite request, gas stations, markets and restaurants will let you fill your water tank. Other locations are RV dump stations and visitor centers. Last year at this time I drove to Alaska and in over 5 weeks of travel never had trouble finding fresh water.

mike

I picked up a collapsible 5gal water container and use a cut down 16oz water bottle as a funnel.This I carry in the propane tank area.Haven't had to use it so far. Also a rv water hose to hook up to a faucet in camp to refill,but most of the time I just use the gal. water bottle and make several trips. Good info from the saints.The water looks so good but now a days you just don't know.Be safe and don't spoil your fun.

Frank

I carry a Reliance water container with a nozzle, so no funnel needed. Another advantage is that I can balance weight a bit during travel. I fill the FWC water tank about halfway, then fill the container and stow it on the passenger side to help balance weight. Once at the campsite I empty the container into the tank. If a five gallon container is too heavy to lift, carry two smaller containers or one smaller container and make two trips. No sweat.

If you will be where you must rely on stream water, consider a purification filter (like Katadyn) and/or purification tablets. But, that will take a while to fill the FWC tank!

Kingb,
do not drink straight from the stream. It is too dangerous. besides giardia, Cryptosporidium and all kinds of other bacterium you do not want to ingest. I am a water operator and know how dirty a surface water source can be.

Case in point.
http://www.pr.state.az.us/parks/SLRO/water.html

I even opt for filling my tank from treated city water rather than from my well. My thought is the slight amount of chlorination that is present in domestic city treated water will help eliminate any type of fungal growth over time that could occur with totally untreated water such as from my well. This is a totally unscientific thought on my part or just my own paranoia. I do believe it must have some merit though, since the tank water sits stagnant between trips it should remain more stable with the minimal amount of added chlorine. BTW, I too would never use stream water to fill the tank. Any thoughts on my reasoning or just comments on my paranoia? :)

Good Camping,

Paul

your well water should be just fine. Ground water generally is good unless you live next to a farm or such that could have heavy pollutants leaching into the soils around, or petroleum. If you want you could add one tablespoon of your non scented bleach to your camper water tank when you fill it, and feel happy.
If you are uncertain about your well water, there are alot of labs out there to go to, get the correct sample bottles and have your water tested. There are probably even people who can come out, collect samples and have them tested at a certified lab. Good luck!

I'll use stream water but only if I can see the source. Snow, spring or whatever. I've never gotten sick myself but I know people who have. Hiking out a hundred yards at a time isn't my idea of fun.

Any thoughts on my reasoning or just comments on my paranoia? :)
Paul

Actually, I add a tablespoon of Bleach to my tank and flush it during the summer months. We don't really drink the tank water, just cooking, cleaning and brushing.

Also, I always keep the tank full.

I carry a Reliance water container with a nozzle, so no funnel needed. Another advantage is that I can balance weight a bit during travel. I fill the FWC water tank about halfway, then fill the container and stow it on the passenger side to help balance weight. Once at the campsite I empty the container into the tank. If a five gallon container is too heavy to lift, carry two smaller containers or one smaller container and make two trips. No sweat.

If you will be where you must rely on stream water, consider a purification filter (like Katadyn) and/or purification tablets. But, that will take a while to fill the FWC tank!

I do much the same, must be a New Mexico thing :D . I carry the Reliance heavy duty water carrier on my back bumper, $20 on-line from Walmart. I top off the tank before I leave home and refill from the Reliance tank as needed, Finding good water in AK shouldn't be an issue. With the spout I just drain the jug into the tank and then refill the jug, easier using a little 2 step stool which I have along anyway. I don't think it is good to fill a jug and then let it sit for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom