Fill water tank?

your well water should be just fine. Ground water generally is good unless you live next to a farm or such that could have heavy pollutants leaching into the soils around, or petroleum. If you want you could add one tablespoon of your non scented bleach to your camper water tank when you fill it, and feel happy.
If you are uncertain about your well water, there are alot of labs out there to go to, get the correct sample bottles and have your water tested. There are probably even people who can come out, collect samples and have them tested at a certified lab. Good luck!

Actually, my well water is fine, we use it for all domestic use including drinking, but it is running all the time with our domestic use. I was just thinking if it sat in the camper tank unused and unreplenished for an extended period of time I might see some type of fungal growth.

Instead of using a funnel or siphon in the field why not use the water pump that's already there? I modified the line between the tank and the pump such that I can "turn off" the tank and "turn on" another source. That other source is usually a 20L Scepter can. I drop a food grade hose into the scepter can and just keep using water like it's the main tank. So with two 20L Scepter cans, I'm carrying a total of 38 gallons (22 main tank, 6 water heater, 5 in each Scepter).

As far as stream water goes, I'm a hardcore backpacker and I use my FWC as base camp for starting and ending multiday hikes. When the temps are in the teens in the winter, propane is my limiting resource, about 4 to 5 days. However, as the temps warm up, water becomes my limiting resource, somewhere around 6 days. As a backpacker, I have the ability to filter water, but it's only for drinking and brushing. There's no way I could filter 38 gallons. However, I know there are outfitters that run rivers and carry large group water filters. I don't have any experience with these. Any knowledge on these out there? I would love a way to replenish 38 gallons while boondocking. My goal is to not ever go into town. Every time I go into town, I spend money.

Here is a handy gadget.
Some campgrounds have water bib's with no threads to connect a hose. This allows you to connect to that.
I've had it for many years, don't know what it's called or where I got it.

Attachments

• DSC01801 (Large).JPG
    DSC01801 (Large).JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 150
Katadyn makes a high capacity water filter and Partner Steel makes one that is electric and can be recharged with solar power, both these filters are pricey well over a thousand bucks. A word about giardia, I must be one of those rare people I got giardia drinkning out of a mountain stream, probably the most unpleasant sickness Ive experienced. I'm a wilderness river runner and we routinely use river water to wash dishes and we always rinse the dishes in a bleach rinse last before putting them away, commercial river guides such as the ones who run the Grand Canyon always use a bleach rinse also. Trust me it's worth the effort to avoid any nasties in the water.

Instead of using a funnel or siphon in the field why not use the water pump that's already there? I modified the line between the tank and the pump such that I can "turn off" the tank and "turn on" another source. That other source is usually a 20L Scepter can. I drop a food grade hose into the scepter can and just keep using water like it's the main tank. So with two 20L Scepter cans, I'm carrying a total of 38 gallons (22 main tank, 6 water heater, 5 in each Scepter).

As far as stream water goes, I'm a hardcore backpacker and I use my FWC as base camp for starting and ending multiday hikes. When the temps are in the teens in the winter, propane is my limiting resource, about 4 to 5 days. However, as the temps warm up, water becomes my limiting resource, somewhere around 6 days. As a backpacker, I have the ability to filter water, but it's only for drinking and brushing. There's no way I could filter 38 gallons. However, I know there are outfitters that run rivers and carry large group water filters. I don't have any experience with these. Any knowledge on these out there? I would love a way to replenish 38 gallons while boondocking. My goal is to not ever go into town. Every time I go into town, I spend money.

Here is a handy gadget.
Some campgrounds have water bib's with no threads to connect a hose. This allows you to connect to that.
I've had it for many years, don't know what it's called or where I got it.

Camco 22484, available on Amazon or lots of places
31kzDP7Au0LSS500-M.jpg

Actually looks like something I got at the adult store one time :eek:

31kzDP7Au0LSS500-M.jpg

Actually looks like something I got at the adult store one time :eek:

Adult store...like...Home Depot, Barko? Not much for kids in there, I guess...
wink.gif

I have had giardiasis twice, the space shuttle has nothing on the thrust produced on a commode by it's wake.

Basically, we carry two spare 2.5 gallon reliance collapsable water containers in addition to a full water tank. If we know we are going to use our ATC as a base camp for more than 5 days, we use one container for non- drinking wash water, ie, unfiltered from the stream and then use our water filter for the other water jug which we use to fill the tank as needed.

Only in a few high places would I drink the water unfiltered, usually off of fresh snow melt in specific areas I know at home, otherwise, it is just not worth it. But this thread has reminded me to try and get a two person dose of Flagyl in case the unspeakable happens...

Thanks for all the good ideas on filling the water tank (and getting a power cord)!

I'm not planning to drink out of the camper tank - it's more for other uses. If I end up drinking stream water, I'll use a Steripen UV device or boiling to kill the bad stuff if looks questionable. (I have had good luck so far drinking out of streams while backpacking. It still might not be the best idea, but sometimes it's really hot outside and the stream is really cold...)

Back
Top Bottom