Finally installed Victron Smartshunt

Outnabout

I finally got around to ordering and installing a Victron smartshunt. I will be putting in a a 12v fridge so thought watching energy usage would be important.

I have 160w panel, 2-Group 24 AGM batteries of 75 amp hours each so 150 amp hour total. But as I understand only 75 usable to keep the batteries from going bad.

My first screen with information looks like the attached screenshot.

My question to those of you familiar with this device: Does this look right? Any advice or things, settings
I need to know? Thanks

IMG_8992.JPG

After running the furnace and Fantastic Fan on high, and all lights for about 15 minutes, this what the app said. IMG_8993.JPG

After another ten minutes with everything off. The sun is not high in the sky. I am on the coast in Northern California. At the moment I read approximately 16 volts from the 160w panel. IMG_8995.JPG

Looks like you started out with the batteries fully charged or nearly so based on the 1/3 amp current in the first screenshot. You then discharged the batteries a little bit as shown in the second shot, then the solar system was recharging and nearly back to full charge in the third shot. So it seems to be hooked up ok. The reason it reads 100% in all three is you only discharged the batteries a little bit, and the battery capacity in the monitor is likely still set to the default of 200 Ah, so the 0.4 Ah you used weren’t enough to turn it to 99%.

If you haven’t already, you need to follow the setup procedure in the owners manual. One of the first steps will be to set the battery usable capacity (sounds like 75 Ah in your case). You then fully charge the batteries, and then hit “synchronize” to set that as the 100% point. You will also set the charging parameters to settings appropriate for your batteries.

Jon R said:
Looks like you started out with the batteries fully charged or nearly so based on the 1/3 amp current in the first screenshot. You then discharged the batteries a little bit as shown in the second shot, then the solar system was recharging and nearly back to full charge in the third shot. So it seems to be hooked up ok. The reason it reads 100% in all three is you only discharged the batteries a little bit, and the battery capacity in the monitor is likely still set to the default of 200 Ah, so the 0.4 Ah you used weren’t enough to turn it to 99%.

If you haven’t already, you need to follow the setup procedure in the owners manual. One of the first steps will be to set the battery usable capacity (sounds like 75 Ah in your case). You then fully charge the batteries, and then hit “synchronize” to set that as the 100% point. You will also set the charging parameters to settings appropriate for your batteries.
Thanks. I did set the battery but at the full capacity. I will go back in and set it at 75amp hours. The batteries were fully charged when I set it up. Thanks for taking the time to look over my info. I am going to order my fridge now. Same size as yours, the CR130.

Outnabout said:
Thanks. I did set the battery but at the full capacity. I will go back in and set it at 75amp hours. The batteries were fully charged when I set it up. Thanks for taking the time to look over my info. I am going to order my fridge now. Same size as yours, the CR130.
Here is a screenshot after I went and change usable battery capacity from 150 to 75. Anything else look like it need’s attention?

Outnabout said:
Here is a screenshot after I went and change usable battery capacity from 150 to 75. Anything else look like it need’s attention?
Forgot the picture. Here it isIMG_8996.JPG

It’s a good thing the Bluetooth doesn’t have a long range or I would be staring at the app[emoji6]. I need to look up the manual as mine only came with a quick start instruction sheet, nothing about the app.

I forgot about the discharge floor setting. Contrary to what i said before, the battery capacity and the discharge floor settings together determine the zero state of charge point. You want to set the battery capacity to 150 Ah and the discharge floor to 50% so it hits zero when you’ve used 75 Ah. Sorry for the wrong information before.

Jon R said:
I forgot about the discharge floor setting. Contrary to what i said before, the battery capacity and the discharge floor settings together determine the zero state of charge point. You want to set the battery capacity to 150 Ah and the discharge floor to 50% so it hits zero when you’ve used 75 Ah. Sorry for the wrong information before.
No problem. Learning here. Appreciate the link. I’ll set back and change the discharge floor to 50%. Cheers.

Curious: can you get Bluetooth working from inside your truck cab? Iv’e heard the range is pretty small.

rubberlegs said:
Curious: can you get Bluetooth working from inside your truck cab? Iv’e heard the range is pretty small.
I can connect to mine from inside the house with the camper in the driveway. Same with the MPPT controller. It’s only the Orion dcdc charger that has a very weak Bluetooth.

veryactivelife said:
I can connect to mine from inside the house with the camper in the driveway. Same with the MPPT controller. It’s only the Orion dcdc charger that has a very weak Bluetooth.
My experience is the same. I can connect to the Orion from the truck cab but typically have to hold my phone up at shoulder level to initially make the connection. Any idea why the Orion is different?

Jon R said:
My experience is the same. I can connect to the Orion from the truck cab but typically have to hold my phone up at shoulder level to initially make the connection. Any idea why the Orion is different?
I don’t know, but everyone complains about it. Mine is also a little more buried than the MPPT and the BMV.

Charged voltage needs to match absorption voltage setting on the solar controller.

Also, set your AH to total capacity. The discharge floor takes care of the usable ah issue with agm. Currently you've told the shunt you've only got 22.5ah to use.

Here's a link to a couple videos we made on how to read the information Victron gives you, if it's helpful.

https://www.zerodeclination.com/victron-walk-throughs

Outnabout said:
Forgot the picture. Here it is
attachicon.gif
IMG_8996.JPG

If you leave the charged voltage set to 13.2, it'll reset the shunt to 100% way before it's truly full, giving you a ton of false readings.

Typically absorption voltage is 14.6/14.7 or so for AGM. The shunt can't "sense" if the batteries are full, but chargers can (using internal resistance magic). So, the shunt's clue the batteries are near full is when the charger swaps into absorption voltage.

If you get this little dealy and plug it into your Overland Solar MPPT (into the port where the little round display plugs currently) your solar controller will show up on the Victron Connect app as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-ASS030536010-VE-Direct-Bluetooth/dp/B01CGFF8Q2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=34VDOHF1XNCUM&keywords=victron+solar+bluetooth+dongle&qid=1683476931&sprefix=victron+solar+bluetooth+dongl%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-3

rubberlegs said:
I tried today couldn’t connect from my cab.

pawleyk said:
If you leave the charged voltage set to 13.2, it'll reset the shunt to 100% way before it's truly full, giving you a ton of false readings.

Typically absorption voltage is 14.6/14.7 or so for AGM. The shunt can't "sense" if the batteries are full, but chargers can (using internal resistance magic). So, the shunt's clue the batteries are near full is when the charger swaps into absorption voltage.

If you get this little dealy and plug it into your Overland Solar MPPT (into the port where the little round display plugs currently) your solar controller will show up on the Victron Connect app as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-ASS030536010-VE-Direct-Bluetooth/dp/B01CGFF8Q2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=34VDOHF1XNCUM&keywords=victron+solar+bluetooth+dongle&qid=1683476931&sprefix=victron+solar+bluetooth+dongl%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-3
Thanks. I don’t have the Overland controller. I have an old Morningstar Sunsaver that isn’t a MPPT. Would it benefit me to reset the app to the settings you propose? Thanks.

pawleyk said:
Charged voltage needs to match absorption voltage setting on the solar controller.

Also, set your AH to total capacity. The discharge floor takes care of the usable ah issue with agm. Currently you've told the shunt you've only got 22.5ah to use.

Here's a link to a couple videos we made on how to read the information Victron gives you, if it's helpful.

https://www.zerodeclination.com/victron-walk-throughs
Thanks for the link and advice I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom