Finally sprung for a FWC

Wallowa said:
Good lord, $849! For a 40 qt cooler! That is serious coin.
That's a refrigerator/freezer, and if you need it, it's well worth the coin.

We can stay out a long time with an Engel and a Yeti. I keep a couple of 64 oz water bottles with us, then swap them from freezer to Yeti to augment purchased ice. It works well, and you have a source of clean water if you need it.

I use a group 27 battery dedicated to the freezer, although I could use a battery onboard the boat. A 1000 watt generator run for an hour in the AM and PM keeps it charged. If we are at a spot where we don't move for a couple of days, the portable solar panel gets used.

I bought my Engel through Jay Aranow (Chinsle) here on the forum.

Edit: when we are on the road, we keep the Engel under the truck canopy, and run on a DC outlet. I think we could also use the truck inverter while underway, but I need to check ratings to be certain of that.

The Engle is a great fridge, had one in my D90 and in my FJ but sold the last one when I got my FWC and went for the built in. The built in fridge is more convenient but not nearly as efficient as the Engle.

SL...I guess I miss stated my power question...how much power does the Engle draw compared to a 110 liter 2 way freezer/frig in a FWC? Hovenweep? Someday, a place to experience.

Thanks..Phil

If I got things right... Don't hold me accountable if the numbers are not correct.;)

Dometic 110L avg current draw 3.75 amps
Engel MT45FU1 avg current draw 1-2 amps hour

Wandering Sagebrush said:
If I got things right... Don't hold me accountable if the numbers are not correct.;)
Dometic 110L avg current draw 3.75 amps
Engel MT45FU1 avg current draw 1-2 amps hour
Numbers ok but...
Dometic rating for max current draw is 5.9 amps (~75 watts at 13 volts)
Engel for max current draw is 2.5 amps

Average where & when? At 90 deg F in Death Valley, my 110L fridge ran most of the time consuming all the output of my 100 watt panel at noon but on Steens Mountain, Oregon at much lower temps, it ran less than half time.

Paul

My experience is in the desert in summer w/ 90-100 degree days on the Engle. No problem with my 60w foldable. So far it seems like I need the 60w in addition to my 100w roof panel for the Dometic under similar conditions. The Engle was just running as a fridge, though, while the Dometic (65) was running as a fridge/freezer.

We have cast iron pans and a couple regular pots. thrift store stuff. cook mostly on the fire. I am planning to remove the water tank and furnace in our camper as we never have used then, Even when out in 20 blow zero. We take a buddy heater with us, for the cold trips. Especially for the September and October hunting trips in the Yukon..

Robbie

Robbie, I have a 2004 Grandby. Please tell me how you removed the Furnace and Water Tank. Any unusual problems or tools needed? I do NOT use the Furnace or Water Tank and would like to convert the vacated space for storage of boots, ropes, snow tire chains, beer,......

Oly Bill said:
. I quickly replaced these w/4 Les Schwab LT245/75R-16/6 108/104S Open Country AT 6 PLY Tires.
i'm not certain of this, but you might want to check.. i'm pretty sure i've read that 6 ply in schwabb terms is 4 ply tread, 2 ply side..

TrapperMike said:
Reggie - The Engel is model MR040F-U1 (40 quarts). Had to take the right handle off so it would fit where it is. Just enough room to access the left front turnbuckle hatch when it is pushed all the way forward. Need to move it out an inch or 2 to open the lid. Here are the specs on it Engel MR040. I plan on building a small platform with storage underneath to raise it up a few inches.
Congrats on the new Hawk.
Mike
I run the Engel MT35. Robust off road capable (takes quite a bit of jarring and shaking) and freezes like you wouldn't believe. Worth every penny.

Oly Bill said:
Robbie, I have a 2004 Grandby. Please tell me how you removed the Furnace and Water Tank. Any unusual problems or tools needed? I do NOT use the Furnace or Water Tank and would like to convert the vacated space for storage of boots, ropes, snow tire chains, beer,......
Why do you need boots, ropes, tire chains????? :)

Happyjax, I need the Boots for wading through the BS in the Presidential debates; the Ropes for my Mt Everest climb and the Tire Snow Chains for my Mars Landing Craft. I need the Beer to increase my energy, improve my social skills and to help my memory to do something - but I forget what??? :(

Oly Bill said:
Happyjax, I need the Boots for wading through the BS in the Presidential debates; the Ropes for my Mt Everest climb and the Tire Snow Chains for my Mars Landing Craft. I need the Beer to increase my energy, improve my social skills and to help my memory to do something - but I forget what??? :(
The beer I got, the rest I now understand :) Mars can be tough without tire chains :) I'm not sure the waders will be high enough....

Back
Top Bottom