Finally went and did it

craig333

Riley's Human
Thanks to RTF (the rubicon trail foundation)http://rubicontrail.org/ I finally have my ham license. KK6AUI Technician.
I was reading the Pirate4x4 boards and noticed they were having a class in October. It was a week away. I emailed and they had an opening. Amazon was great about getting me the manual in a hurry. Even better, they were doing a group buy on radios. Now I have money forked out and a test scheduled in three weeks. Made studying easier. Test was Nov.3. Brought my $15 and two forms of I.D. Not sure why the VE's were writing down our credit card info but whatever
unsure.gif
Test was passed by all. Radios were handed out and we had a short class on programming and emergency communications. Naturally I installed the mobile immediately (I'd purchased the antenna already) and have been anxiously awaiting my call sign. Just happened to see someone say they were in. Good thing because I can't look it up by name. No idea why but I found it by FRN.

If you curious, I have a Yaesu FT-8800 mobile and a Yaesu FT-60 HT.

Craig
Let me be the first on WTW to say congratulations on the new license and call sign. Was wondering if it was actually going to happen..Have fun.

73, de
Bob, K6ON

Thanks to RTF (the rubicon trail foundation)http://rubicontrail.org/ I finally have my ham license. KK6AUI Technician.
I was reading the Pirate4x4 boards and noticed they were having a class in October. It was a week away. I emailed and they had an opening. Amazon was great about getting me the manual in a hurry. Even better, they were doing a group buy on radios. Now I have money forked out and a test scheduled in three weeks. Made studying easier. Test was Nov.3. Brought my $15 and two forms of I.D. Not sure why the VE's were writing down our credit card info but whatever
unsure.gif
Test was passed by all. Radios were handed out and we had a short class on programming and emergency communications. Naturally I installed the mobile immediately (I'd purchased the antenna already) and have been anxiously awaiting my call sign. Just happened to see someone say they were in. Good thing because I can't look it up by name. No idea why but I found it by FRN.

If you curious, I have a Yaesu FT-8800 mobile and a Yaesu FT-60 HT.

I bet you were bob. How long ago did I say I was going to do it? I'd look it up but I'd rather procrastinate
biggrin.gif

Now, do I go for my general? A bit early for that I think. Damn ham gear is expensive. Like owning a boat
laugh.gif

Craig, I own a fair sized boat and ham gear doesn't even come close. Well, after being a ham for 50 years I do own a lot of ham gear so maybe in total it might come somewhat close, but I don't have to pay a marina every month to store my ham station.

Absolutely, go for the General, and the sooner you do it, the easier it will be. Would love to hear you on 20 meters working DX..

Again..Congratulations!

I bet you were bob. How long ago did I say I was going to do it? I'd look it up but I'd rather procrastinate
biggrin.gif

Now, do I go for my general? A bit early for that I think. Damn ham gear is expensive. Like owning a boat
laugh.gif

Just checked and now you're in the QRZ database. Find yourself here :

http://www.qrz.com/db/KK6AUI

Wow, I just lost a whole bunch of privacy
unsure.gif

Holy heck Bob, do you notify smud when you key up? How come no boat pics? Surely you have gear on the boat?

Oh, and thanks for the links. The more I know the more I see how little I know. The joys of being a noob.

How bout a tech question. I have a cb antenna mounted right behind the 2m antenna. Is it going to have any effect? I could easily remove it seeing as how it gets used about twice a year.

What makes you think you had any privacy before the license ?? SMUD likes it when I run the Henry amp, but I don't use it a lot. Usually use it when breaking a pileup for a rare DX station and generally get heard first call :).

You want boat pictures, here ya go..One is a scan of an old QSL card with my old call sign and my Sea Ray. Had it for 15 years and sold it just before I retired. It had a Yaesu FT-857 on board. Other pic is of present boat, no ham radio other than a 2 meter HT.

Move the CB antenna as far away as possible, but at least 2 feet away and you should be good to go.

Wow, I just lost a whole bunch of privacy
unsure.gif

Holy heck Bob, do you notify smud when you key up? How come no boat pics? Surely you have gear on the boat?

Oh, and thanks for the links. The more I know the more I see how little I know. The joys of being a noob.

How bout a tech question. I have a cb antenna mounted right behind the 2m antenna. Is it going to have any effect? I could easily remove it seeing as how it gets used about twice a year.

Attachments

• OLD QSL1.jpg
    OLD QSL1.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Bayliner.jpg
    Bayliner.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom