Fire Pans?

Aluminum garbage can cover? Also, I'm curious: would that ban allow a fire if in a pan?

Aluminum garbage can cover? Also, I'm curious: would that ban allow a fire if in a pan?

I'm not really sure, I guess I'l have to check with the rangers. I imagine they don't want ground damage and ashes. Little grills are allowed.

I'm not really sure, I guess I'l have to check with the rangers. I imagine they don't want ground damage and ashes. Little grills are allowed.

The park was quick to reply:

What you are asking about is acceptable. The wording of the regulations on
the website may need to be changed, but you may have a charcoal fire as
long as the charcoal is contained in a grill or firepan [not just in a fire
ring on the ground].

So perhaps the garbage can lid would work but mine are all plastic :(

After camping in big bend where no ground fires were allowed I starting thinking I need a fire pan. Any suggestions?

I use fire pans on river trips and almost all permited rivers now require them. Most river regulations require an elevated fire pan of around 250 sq inches with a three inch lip. Some rivers also require fire blanket under the pan to contain ash spillage.

Some rivers allow smaller pans and for years the standard for a fire pan was an metal oil drain pan. This pan has a larger lip and contains the ash better than a garbage can lid. Pretty cheap and will last for a while. Elevate it on rocks or crushed cans to avoid scorching the soil and bring your own wood and carry out your ash for leave no trace camping.
Dsrtrat

The park was quick to reply:

What you are asking about is acceptable. The wording of the regulations on
the website may need to be changed, but you may have a charcoal fire as
long as the charcoal is contained in a grill or firepan [not just in a fire
ring on the ground].

So perhaps the garbage can lid would work but mine are all plastic :(

A charcoal fire really isn't a campfire, is it? :(

Here you go, a firepan on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Galvanized-Firepan/dp/B00030NLIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296506680&sr=8-1

Compared to an oil drain pan on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Plews-75-751-General-Purpose-Utility/dp/B000G78P8G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

Here you go, a firepan on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Galvanized-Firepan/dp/B00030NLIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296506680&sr=8-1

Compared to an oil drain pan on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Plews-75-751-General-Purpose-Utility/dp/B000G78P8G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

Or a feed pan http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant13-Quart-Galvanized-GP13/dp/B000FJX8C8/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4
$10 delivered

I could drain the oil, feed the dogs, and cook up some dinner :)

After camping in big bend where no ground fires were allowed I starting thinking I need a fire pan. Any suggestions?

Any of the rafting/boating sites sell great fire pans.

nrsweb.com

downriverequip.com

I hope this helps.

Paul

I have a propane campfire. Works really nice. Last time I was in area I couldn't have a fire (allowed but way too windy to risk a wood fire) I was freezing my ass off and guess what? I forgot I had it along :(

Any of the rafting/boating sites sell great fire pans.

nrsweb.com

downriverequip.com

I hope this helps.

Paul

I'm sure they are sturdier. Now I am wondering if I can find some sort of little portable BBQ that I can also use with the dutch over. Mostly I have just been carrying a simple grill which works fine in a campground that has a grill at each site but last week the grills provided were not dutch oven friendly and the no ground fire thing. I do like having a grill that I can put on top on. I used to have a little rectangular grill on little legs and a nice cover but it is disintegrating. But that wouldn't help with the dutch oven :( So I guess I need something that keeps the fire off the ground, has a lid to help cooking some stuff, and still can be used to support the dutch oven. Sounds like two items!

Although not too practical to carry, at Collins Lake they use what I believe to be a washing machine tub. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_4319 resize.jpg
    IMG_4319 resize.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 167
I'm sure they are sturdier. Now I am wondering if I can find some sort of little portable BBQ that I can also use with the dutch over. Mostly I have just been carrying a simple grill which works fine in a campground that has a grill at each site but last week the grills provided were not dutch oven friendly and the no ground fire thing. I do like having a grill that I can put on top on. I used to have a little rectangular grill on little legs and a nice cover but it is disintegrating. But that wouldn't help with the dutch oven :( So I guess I need something that keeps the fire off the ground, has a lid to help cooking some stuff, and still can be used to support the dutch oven. Sounds like two items!

I should have added in my first post that the stainless steel pans from steam tables are larger and make good fire pans as well.
Dsrtrat

I am assuming there are no fire pits there. Just wondering why they don't allow it. Smoke, fire danger?

Then what do you do with the ashes?

I love a good ole cracklin' campfire but that is too much work!!!!

Fire danger and the "leave no trace" idea. We have been doing this for years while on multi-day river trips. We don't have to worry about fire danger in a lot of camps along the rivers. However, everyone using a fire pan and carrying out the coals/ashes allows everyone to have a more pristine experience, or at least a cleaner camp when they arrive for their use. It's really not that much work once you get into the routine.

Fire danger and the "leave no trace" idea. We have been doing this for years while on multi-day river trips. We don't have to worry about fire danger in a lot of camps along the rivers. However, everyone using a fire pan and carrying out the coals/ashes allows everyone to have a more pristine experience, or at least a cleaner camp when they arrive for their use. It's really not that much work once you get into the routine.

Totally agree. Fire danger is extremely high in Big Bend, I'd hate to be responsible for a giant brush fire, not many resources to fight it out there.

I've always wondered about this idea- why not dump the ashes in the river? It will sink, wash away or disappear right? Aren't proper ashes a fertilizer anyway? I can understand leave no trace in a place like the UT desert where unfortunately, people leave too much ash and it scars the land. But in river bottom? What am I missing?

I've always wondered about this idea- why not dump the ashes in the river? It will sink, wash away or disappear right? Aren't proper ashes a fertilizer anyway? I can understand leave no trace in a place like the UT desert where unfortunately, people leave too much ash and it scars the land. But in river bottom? What am I missing?

Hi Brett,

The reason that rivers have carry out policys is that although the fly ash will sink the charcoal floats on the surface and washes up on the beaches leaving an unsightly "bathtub ring" at high water mark.
Most western rivers experience very high use and limited campsites that are used almost every night during river season. Charcoal lasts in the enviroment longer than almost any organic material as evidenced by the charcoal from fires found at prehistoric sites.
It's really not much extra work to bag your fire debris along with your other trash and it keeps food odors down as well. The key to fire managment is to have reasonable size fires and let then burn down to fine ash and charcoal.
Dsrtrat

Hi Brett,

The reason that rivers have carry out policys is that although the fly ash will sink the charcoal floats on the surface and washes up on the beaches leaving an unsightly "bathtub ring" at high water mark.
Most western rivers experience very high use and limited campsites that are used almost every night during river season. Charcoal lasts in the enviroment longer than almost any organic material as evidenced by the charcaoal from fires found at prehistoric sites.
It's really not much extra work to bag your fire debris along with your other trash and it keeps food odors down as well. The key to fire managment is to have reasonable size fires and let then burn down to fine ash and charcoal.
Dsrtrat

Makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom