Firestone airbags and daystar cradles?

Squatch,
I already asked on another topic before finding this thread. What is your feedback on the daystar cradles after more use? Have you had any instances of the bags not re-centering or anything like that?
Thanks!
Jim

Hmmm... Thanks for the link. This is the first I'd heard of that. I wonder if is out of abundance of caution on the part of Firestone, or if it's the result of issues they've seen. May need to call Firestone, but I doubt they will give much additional information.

Don

-

Figures they wouldn't warranty their bags when installed in a way they didn't design them for. Also they have a point that the Daystar cradle takes up about an inch of height, and could potentially lead to the bags being compressed more than designed to. Then again Firestone air bags don't include a bump stop, and in some applications require removal of the bump stop to install them.

I notice that with the airlift bags with internal bump stop, I feel the truck hitting the bumps more often since I installed the cradles.

I've got about 10k miles and one decent off road trip on them now, no sign of wear on the airbags and I've never had one fail to seat correctly.

We're running the AirLift bags with the internal jounce stops also. I ordered and installed the Daystar cradles at the same time as the airbags.

I've had my truck twisted up multiple times, to the extent a front wheel comes off the ground in California, Utah, and Baja, and haven't had any trouble with the airbag/cradle setup. They always center right back up and the extra height hasn't been an issue for us. It doesn't seem to bottom out ever. Even over the damn Mexican topes.

We don't have the fancy compressor system with the valves and switches and all. I just use our onboard ViAir compressor to fill the bags, using the same hose/nozzle I use to air up the tires.

I mounted the fill valves inside the fuel door, right next to the air chuck so filling and making adjustments is a breeze.

I'm sure the Firestone warning is just a "lawyers made us do it" kinda thing. They're just limiting liability.

DSC01455.jpgDSC01457.jpgDSC02911.jpg

pawleyk said:
I'm sure the Firestone warning is just a "lawyers made us do it" kinda thing. They're just limiting liability.
I'm wondering if Firestone warrants their bags for much of anything. It seems to me that they could claim that most any bag failure is due to not using the bag as intended. I ran the Firestone ride-rites on my old Tundra for 10 years, and always worried that when in for service the truck would be put on a lift and the air bags damaged.

I never had a problem other than a slow leak in one so that I had to add air every two or three days.

I mostly drove the truck without the camper and I did notice that the unloaded ride was detrimentally affected with the ride-rites. I'm thinking that the Daystar cradles would help out in that respect since the bags aren't in contact with the springs when not aired up.

The ATC Panther is due in June so I have a little time to mull this all over in preparation.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Actually Firestone recommends that you always have a little air in the bags. When my truck is empty I run 5psi in the bags. Even with the cradles on the bags are always in contact unless the truck is lifted by the frame or twisted up.

The bags work. But they are not without their idiosyncrasies. They do have a certain harshness to them under certain conditions.

I personally would rather have steel springs that are made for the weight I'm carrying. With shocks to match the springs. I'll probably do that eventually. in the meantime the air bags work.

Some folks have mentioned limit straps and pressure down to 5 lbs before lifting. I'm at about 20k miles on a F150 2015 FX, including the Trans-Lab hiway. Truck has 18" e tire, light weight aluminum wheels & heavy shock, all of which slow down a quick drop, but I watch closely (nervous nelly) when the shop raises the truck. I spoke with firestone and they had no comment on adding the straps.And as stated in a previous post, they lawyer up( I haven't done it).

All good reading in this thread, I've come to believe the Daystar cradles and/or Firestone/AirLift air bags will do the job nearly all the time. I have no plans to run any SCORE off road events ! I budgeted for adding a spring pack from Deaver Springs as soon as I can get there. I am very optimistic my non HD F150 with 3.55 elocker will do the job . Not nearly as optimistic about the 3.5 EB gas mileage under load. Rated at 1400 lbs payload I will give it a shot anyway, just toe tapping until I pick up the ATC at the end of April . The frame is now in the welding shop....:)

Glad I found this thread- thanks to all who have shared. I may be pulling the trigger on this setup. I'd wondered, is there a way to put really strong magnets on the cradle and the bottom of the bag to help align it? That said, we do get into some gnarly trails- but with the camper on- not sure if I ought to worry about it that much?

No need. The separation between cradle and bag should not be much. The inside of the cradle is a bowl to catch the bag. Firestone air bags are heavy rigid structures. It's not like they are floppy.

Squatch said:
No need. The separation between cradle and bag should not be much. The inside of the cradle is a bowl to catch the bag. Firestone air bags are heavy rigid structures. It's not like they are floppy.
Thanks Squatch. Think this is my next addition!

I just installed Firestone Ride Rites and Daystar cradles a couple of days ago. 2014 f150 FX4 1400 lbs payload.Always concerned about failures, I decided to test them a little and check,listen. My testing was less than scientific, but hitting a variety of speed bumps (domestic traffic control type)in three different heights I ran 5, 7.5, and 10 lbs psi up to 35/40 mph over these. My truck was loaded with 200 lbs splitting the axle and tailgate. So not any significant load. The plan was to get a little air between cragle and spring closer to home. I didn't here any slapping noise, cannot see any evidence of an alignment issues and at 5 psi, the ride was only marginally stiffer. It also seems to exhibit less body roll while while sporting about freeway clover leaf on ramps, this is most likely a result of E rated tires.The camper goes on Tuesday 24 April and this will certainly change everything, optimistic the combination will be suspended adequately... I will def. check before and after truck weight at the local Cat scale. A month back I also installed 5100 Bilsteins set at plus 1.25 inch front level and E rated KO 2's currently filled to 42 psi on all corners.

Rockcod said:
I just installed Firestone Ride Rites and Daystar cradles a couple of days ago. 2014 f150 FX4 1400 lbs payload.Always concerned about failures, I decided to test them a little and check,listen. My testing was less than scientific, but hitting a variety of speed bumps (domestic traffic control type)in three different heights I ran 5, 7.5, and 10 lbs psi up to 35/40 mph over these. My truck was loaded with 200 lbs splitting the axle and tailgate. So not any significant load. The plan was to get a little air between cragle and spring closer to home. I didn't here any slapping noise, cannot see any evidence of an alignment issues and at 5 psi, the ride was only marginally stiffer. It also seems to exhibit less body roll while while sporting about freeway clover leaf on ramps, this is most likely a result of E rated tires.The camper goes on Tuesday 24 April and this will certainly change everything, optimistic the combination will be suspended adequately... I will def. check before and after truck weight at the local Cat scale. A month back I also installed 5100 Bilsteins set at plus 1.25 inch front level and E rated KO 2's currently filled to 42 psi on all corners.
You'll probably have to articulate the rear axle to see any separation. Go find a ditch somewhere or stuff the front corner into a bank.

I think the cradles are most useful in those sorts of situations, where the suspension is forced to flex at or near it's capability. My bags separate from the cradles when we cross a deep arroyo or climb/drop over small ledges and banks one corner at a time.

I have this setup on same rig as OP.. 2006 DC Tundra. My only issue, is I wish I had done it sooner! I have used the truck hard, from utilitarian hauling around the house, to loaded family trips with pretty aggressive low range driving. Can't say enough. The suspension is a week link on these trucks (and all Toyotas). The air bags and cradles are a great must have imo.

pawleyk said:
You'll probably have to articulate the rear axle to see any separation. Go find a ditch somewhere or stuff the front corner into a bank.
I think the cradles are most useful in those sorts of situations, where the suspension is forced to flex at or near it's capability. My bags separate from the cradles when we cross a deep arroyo or climb/drop over small ledges and banks one corner at a time.
Yeah good point, I suppose it acts like an inflatable jounce stop and there should be no reason it wouldn't line up in everyday use. I don't have much , if any serious off road situations behind me so I'll figure it out slowly. I put the camper on yesterday for the first time and it rides and handles the load better than I thought it would. Tire pressure is also important. Ride Rites or Air Lift bags go against the normal suspension design, the cradles are a great idea at this stage.

Installed over 11k miles ago (3 months on the road). No problems at all with lining up after flex- or having the rig up on a lift doing work. I check the pressure once a month, bags holding on great. 1st gen Tacoma with FWC Eagle. Thanks to all who have ran this setup and reported so far!

Back
Top Bottom