Firestone Ride-Rite Heads Up

SunMan

King Taco
While prepping for a Baja trip last month I had my 4x4 guy replace the worn out Rancho's on the front of my truck. I asked him to give everything a good once over while he was under there. True to his experience building professional offroad vehicles and also his keen eye, he informed me he spotted some cracks in the lower air bag plates/brackets that straddle my leaf springs. Looking at them it was obvious they had been that way for quite awhile. While I don't think there was any immediate threat I certainly opted to replace them. I also do not believe this is any sort of defect as my airbags are over 6 years old and have seen heavy use. I just chalk it up to preventative maintenance and regular wear and tear. Zero issues with my airbags otherwise.

I called Firestone and they were not covered under warranty and they referred me to a company in the mid-west to order them from...the cost was ~$80 shipped. I pointed this out to TT who has the same set up and he also had some cracks but much more minor than mine. Anyway, I point this out to you as well as there are likely some of you out there with similar cracks. It might be worth sticking your head under your rigs for a peek. The fix is pretty simple but I would HIGHLY recommend removing the valve core on your airbags vice just letting the air out when you do it. Anyway, FYI...just thought I'd pass this along.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 129
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 133
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for the heads up, SunMan. I will check mine before my next trip. Based on the cost you mentioned, I assume you were able to order just the broken bracket and not anything more, correct?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,
Yep, just a pair of brackets, nothing else. Full pic attached.

Attachments

• photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 124
Isn't corrosion fun? I just spent an afternoon doing more welding on the Jeep. Its more than a good idea to go around looking for stuff like that. Sad to say I didn't find it but my Jeep shop found my front spring hanger broken off (it was in for other work). Could have had disastrous consequences. Needless to say with my welding skills thats one repair I left for the experts.

Where is a good source for the Ride-Rites? This being still the holiday weekend, no one is answering the phone.
I could probably install them myself, but I am getting old and lazy. :p

winks said:
Where is a good source for the Ride-Rites? This being still the holiday weekend, no one is answering the phone.
I could probably install them myself, but I am getting old and lazy. :p
I ordered mine through Amazon.Seemed to be the best price.They are easy to install.I think the hardest part is drilling the 1/2' holes in the frame.
Good luck,don't give up on doing them yourself.
Frank

I'll bet the ride rite R&D folks would be interested in those photos....it appears as if the failure is the shortest distance to the edge of the plate (pressure/flex failure)....

design issue....no matter the age of the plate.....a failure is a failure, even under extreme use

typical warranty response.....not to berate the company or the product...I've got them installed as well and I'm pleased with their performance...

I'll go look this AM

but............. if there's a failure like that...R&D would be interested ;)...especially in multiples

I blew a bag and now have parts of the mounting system for sale. And one good bag too. PM if interested.
9/29 Now sold! thanks Tomas.

do not count on getting any response from firestone i cracked a frame
way back when i had a toyota w/fwc i felt it was caused by poor design
as toyota of that year did not have boxed frame in location of mounting point

after repair to frame (boxed it in) called factory rep to explain that bracket
needed to be modified to support air bag, got blown off big time,told they never saw this
problem before.

but on next toyota i installed bags on low and behold new bracket design go figure!

Les,lqhiker

Back
Top Bottom