First Aid, what to carry, when does it expire?

I read somewhere, I think it was in Backpacker, that things like bandages don't go bad as long as the packaging they come in is undamaged. The glue may go bad over time and heat will make it go bad faster. You might want add the following:
- 1st aid book
- Something for foot blisters, Dr. Scholl's moleskin/molefoam
- Something for burns
- Nail clippers nail file
- Tweezers
- space blanket
- Oral thermometer
- Paramedic Scissors, the kind that lets you get under the bandage
- Paper and pen (and a sharpie pen)
- Duct tape

Managing your 1st aid kit may be more inportant then whats in it. Several times I have had someone in my group pull out thier kit and what we needed wasn't in the kit, but should have been. What I did is after I put together my kit I inventoried everything and printed it on one of those old scholl overhead projector sheets. Everytime I use something I mark it down so when I get home I know what needs to be replaced. I also keep my kit in an old amo can that is water tight.
Things that don't have an expiraton date I keep in my camper all the time. Things like asprine and other pills I keep in a zip lock bag, in a differnt zip lock bag I keep my liquids. Both of these bags I keep in the house, when its camping time I just grab them. BTW when buying your meds buy thing that you know, not off brands. Also know what reaction you'll have to them before taking them on a trip. You don't want to take a cold pill then find out it puts you to sleep before you got to drive 12 hours.

Wilderness First Aid

This is available in the northern California area. This link will also explain the difference between Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder and the time commitment involved in taking the class. I know people who have taken classes from this instructor and I have gotten good reviews.

I believe the local REI stores use this instructor as well so possibly your local REI can help with what is available in your area.

Back
Top Bottom