First maintenance other that oil and filters. 2005 Tundra.

billharr

Getting ready for a trip to the east coast and doing oil and filter changes. Noticed grease thrown around the drivers side CV joints. Well 10 years old, not bad. 10 years ago I would jack it up and fix it. This time I call the dealer and got it in and out in one day. First thing I have needed to do to this truck other than oil, filters and tires. Dealer did call and recommend I change the brakes as the fronts were down to 1 mm. I told him I would take care if them. Easiest pads I have ever changed. Two clips, one spring and two pins. No need to pull the caliper. Took longer to take the wheels off than changing the pads.

The pads had over 3 mm on the thinest one. Sad that you can not trust dealers. I looked over their check sheet. Said my air filter we in the yellow range and would need to be changed soon. The air filter was one day old and had less than 20 miles on it.

Side note on tires I noticed a chunk out of the tread, more than likely only cosmetic, but the wife was worried about it. Took it into America Tire and was told only cosmetic, the wife said we had the road hazard coverage. Sales guy said OK we will change it for you. First time I have ever used road hazard coverage. He put that tire on as a spare so I now have a 10 ply spare and not the smaller tire that came with the Tundra.

billharr said:
Getting ready for a trip to the east coast and doing oil and filter changes. Noticed grease thrown around the drivers side CV joints. Well 10 years old, not bad. 10 years ago I would jack it up and fix it. This time I call the dealer and got it in and out in one day. First thing I have needed to do to this truck other than oil, filters and tires. Dealer did call and recommend I change the brakes as the fronts were down to 1 mm. I told him I would take care if them. Easiest pads I have ever changed. Two clips, one spring and two pins. No need to pull the caliper. Took longer to take the wheels off than changing the pads.

The pads had over 3 mm on the thinest one. Sad that you can not trust dealers. I looked over their check sheet. Said my air filter we in the yellow range and would need to be changed soon. The air filter was one day old and had less than 20 miles on it.

Side note on tires I noticed a chunk out of the tread, more than likely only cosmetic, but the wife was worried about it. Took it into America Tire and was told only cosmetic, the wife said we had the road hazard coverage. Sales guy said OK we will change it for you. First time I have ever used road hazard coverage. He put that tire on as a spare so I now have a 10 ply spare and not the smaller tire that came with the Tundra.
have you changed the timing belt yet? That is supposed to be done at 90,000 I think.

idahoron said:
have you changed the timing belt yet? That is supposed to be done at 90,000 I think.
I RIDE a motorcycle, the truck is not my daily driver. 2005 truck, 57,000 miles and 8,000 was on one trip. Can wait a while for the timing belt.

Just a note on the timing belt.
I have a 2006 Toyota Solara that had about 62,000 on it. Last summer it left me high and dry without any warning on the side of the road. Lucky I had a place to put it. Timing belt. I said to the mechanic I thought it was 90,000 miles and he said yes or 6 years. Well that was a little lesson for me:) Just sayin'.....

Bummer, Happyjax. I had a timing belt blow on a Subaru once and strand me with the (former)wife, kid and father-in-law 100 miles from home. :eek: That was a fun tow trip with all of us, sharing the front seat with the AAA driver.

Maybe it was the residual scarring of that long ago experience that motivated me to get my 06 Tundra timing belt and water pump done last summer before we did 1800 mile loop through Idaho. I had a local shop that specialized in Toyota do the work and it gave me peace of mind. I'm at 111k now. :)

Wondering what Toyota says is the change interval for rear diff, transfer case, and transmission fluids? Low miles notwithstanding, danged if I'd put a lot of miles on those 3 fluids when they're 10-11 years old. Oxidation alone would drive me to change them. My mother's BMW X-5 has so-called "permanent" auto trans fluid. My buddy who owns an independent German car shop says "yeah, right" about the permanent ATF. I'd be looking at a full system ATF flush and refill. On my Ford we can do our own full system flush using the transmission's internal pumps and strategically timed shut-down and refill from the dipstick tube, thus ensureing replacement of all ATF in the pumps, lines, accumulators, trans cooler, and torque converter. A commercial service facility would likely use an external pump to achieve the same thing. Either way, I'd sure want the full system drain, as merely dropping/draining the pan only gets about 40% of the ATF out of most automatic transmissions.

Come to think of it, I'd sure want a new serpentine belt, also, simply due to age (dry rot being the issue with age)

Foy

Got a new serpentine and water pump with the timing belt, and I was close to work and got help from my friends who picked me up. Neighbor lent me his car for 2 days while the work was being done. I was going on vacation to Connecticut in 10 days (from Baltimore) so it was a blessing in disguise:) Can you say lucky duck:)
Haven't had the transmission flushed yet so I have learned something new:)

Great thread Bill...

my Tundra has 34,000 miles with basically oil changes only, so I'm kicking this around as well... Just checked the manual for the '05 Tundra re fluid change schedules.
It reads "inspect" diff fluids every 10,000 miles....
****unless towing, or driving in adverse conditions..... Then, "change" every 15,000 miles.
Change? OK

I will take the sage advice of a Tar Heel and change both diffs and the transfer case before spring trips.. Thank you Foy, 10 years is a long time

Dave Wilkes Transmission likely to get a visit as well, good call Alley Kat...

Timing belt will get a wait..

TT

Edit.. Never did see when they called for fluid change even under " normal" driving conditions..... All the way through 100,000 miles it calls to "inspect" fluids...

super doody said:
Bill did they install at new CV ? How does your truck ride without camper with 10 ply tires?
Whole new shaft and joints. $350 OTD. Have had 10 plys on for several years, a little rough without the camper, fine with it on. The Helwig sway bar made the biggest difference in handling.

Amen on the Helwig. Got it installed before getting the Ride-Rites. Driving Hwy 6 to Tillamook was amazing through the corners with the sway bar. Really had trouble keeping the speed down then. :)

PAul

PaulT said:
Amen on the Helwig. Got it installed before getting the Ride-Rites. Driving Hwy 6 to Tillamook was amazing through the corners with the sway bar. Really had trouble keeping the speed down then. :)

PAul
You need to keep the speed down or add a strap to the port a potty. Don't ask how I know. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom