First Night in my Bobcat

GroovyDad

I've been so busy building out my shell that I haven't had a chance to actually use it--until now. I decided to go for a quick overnight/shakedown/maiden voyage to Buckeye Hot Springs, near Bridgeport, CA. I sure picked a challenging weekend as it was right in the middle of a huge Sierra storm system that was moving through the area. In fact, the entire town of Bridgeport had been without power since the night before (good thing I didn't need gas).

IMG_0390.JPG
Even Dexter was looking forward to a hot soak on a cold day...

IMG_0392.JPG
For those of you who've never been to Buckeye H.S. it's actually a hot waterfall that pools alongside Buckeye Creek.

IMG_0397.JPG
Every dog has his soak...

IMG_0394.JPG
The spring was very hot today; at least 105 degrees.

IMG_0399.JPG
We made camp right at the fork in the road and not a single car came by all day/night.

IMG_0400.JPG
We checked out Travertine Hot Spring because we were so close, but we didn't take a soak because the rain clouds were closing in fast.

IMG_0401.JPG
Topaz Lake was as smooth as glass, but it won't be for long.

IMG_0402.JPG
My photo doesn't do the rainbow on the horizon justice, but it was beautiful.

It was a good trip all in all. The bad weather threw a lot at us on this first trip, but we learned a lot like: drain hoses freeze overnight, the dog bed needs a vapor barrier underneath (a large trash bag), get a rug for the camper floor, the more level your spot, the more comfortable you'll be and a couple of old movies on the DVD player--priceless.

Maiden Voyage of My Bobcat Camper

Looks like Dexter had a good time. The springs are nice, and we hope to keep them underpopulated as you found them.
Congrats on maiden voyage!

Congrats on the first of many nights in your camper. Make yourself a list you will find lots of small things your will be adding or changing. A rug is a great addition in the cold.

ski3pin said:
Looking good there, Groovy! Congrats on the maiden voyage! Nothin' better when you have a camper is to use it. :)
I definitely need to get a system down. It was pretty chaotic with just the dog and I, I need to learn your system because you seem to have two person camping down to an art.

We purchase a couple of micro-fiber mats (Bed Bath & Beyond). It is like having an insulated rug. One fits the entire raised area between our front dinette seats and the second covers a good part of the floor. At the door we have a small shoe mat

Back
Top Bottom