First Time FWC Owner- Eyebolt ?'s and more

spiegelbergt

Hello good folks of Wander the West!

I've been reading up on this site for a while. Thanks for all the helpful information. Forums with purely good info and no b.s. are very refreshing!! I come from the climbing forum world where insult and injury are very common.

My main question:

I am buying a 2014 Fleet off of a couple that used it on a Tacoma. They used the adapter for the bed as it is composite. I have a 2004 Tundra. I need to install eyebolts in my trucks bed. They do not have eyebolts.

-What eyebolts for the bed should I buy?? Can I get them at a hardware store? Where did you install the eyebolts?? (links appreciated)

-Do you use suspension air bags with your mid 2000's Tundra and Fleet??

Thanks in advance. The FWC I'm buying is beautiful. I can't wait to take it on trips all around Wyoming and the Utah desert and beyond. Any other advice on a Fleet x Tundra combination would be super helpful!

Safe travels,

Taylor

Taylor,
Welcome to the forum. It is a special place. I have a FWC Hawk on a 2010 Tundra, so similar but different.

Contact Stan at FWC and ask for advice on how to position the eye bolts in your truck requirements for the bolts & any backing plates. The geometry of the turnbuckles and angles from the camper attachment point to the eye bolts in the bed determines the security of the camper in the truck bed. So getting it straight from FWC would be wise.

Going to E series tires is a good idea. I’m sure others will add more specific info.

Paul

If you have the time, just put on backer plates from the get go unless you plan on just getting the camper home then taking it off and working on things. Our camper is on full-time so I made sure I had backer plates (both the truck and camper; top and bottom) and used forged, larger diameter turnbuckles that thread and lock. If you have a house battery, run heavy gauge wiring to the battery from the truck battery (with fuses, relay, etc.). Lots of info on this site on what to do but just do it right the first time since you look like you'll have some great exploring to do.

Taylor, welcome to WTW.

Here’s a link to the FWC truck prep page. https://www.fourwh.com/tools/popup-truck-camper-preparation/ It has some good info on what you should do to get ready for installing your camper. Somewhere, I’ve seen a pdf (?) that discusses eyebolt location and orientation, but don’t recall where. Maybe another member will remember. Do call FWC for assistance. Another great resource is ATC in Sacramento. If you’re close to a dealer, that might be your best option.

Any chance you have family from So Oregon?

WS

Hello spiegelbergt
Hello and congrats on the new camper, your gunna love it! Here is a link for what I believe they use in the truck bed to secure the camper.
Just for reference purposes only. Definitely find out from FWC what size and backing plates are used to secure the camper.

http://azliftinghardware.com/eye-bolts/

Russ

URL address edit

I have a 2003 Tundra with a Fleet shell (furnace and cooktop added). The tires were fairly new when I bought the truck, so I did not spring for E rated tires. I did get air bags and new Bilstein shocks. Riding fine so far.

Back
Top Bottom