Fishing gear questions?

100acrehuphalump

In a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia
I've always been the minimalist fisherman by just using a drop line hook and Bread or worms. I've had a fair share of good luck with it, but I'd like to learn more about fishing . Mainly freshwater lakes and steams and rivers. I understand a license is required for each state and can be picked up at any Walmart. I've also learned that you don't need a fishing license for the National Parks because they're federal and not state run. What I'm curious about is equipment. I obviously don't wanna go way overboard, but I do want something of decent quality. I know very little about rods or reels though and there seems to be an overwhelming amount of varieties of poles/rods, reels, string/line, bait/lures. It can be too much for a novice like myself when walking into a fishing related store.
So my fellow enthusiastic ichthyological adventurists, what is it you prefer to use and for what, and where while fishing for your next fresh fish food? Do you fish for sport or to eat? I'm looking for a variety of interests. As I'd like to venture into new waters and I'm open to the different aspects of fishing, like for food and for sport, like catch and release.
Many Thanks, Dan.

Feel free to post any pix of what you caught with the gear you used!

Dan, I am (for 50 years) a fly fisher. I enjoy the lightness of the tackle and the enjoyment.
I fish mostly small rivers and streams.With a small lake thrown in.
I catch and release,except if I am at a camp site and will cook and eat the fish within a very short time.

As for what equipment you should use,well that's hard to suggest.
You can get way involved with any type of gear.
Especially fly fishing.
But there are good started packages,even those offered through,L.L.Bean,Orvis ,Cabellas or Sierra Trading Post.
You could get started with most of the gear for around $500.
Sounds like a lot and it is but that will get you most of what you need for fly fishing.
I also use a "ultra light"5' spinning rod and it's fun when you get into a typical trout here in the west.
All my gear fits into a backpack so I travel light.
Also a set of waders can come in handy.
Other things I use are a float tube and fish from my canoe.

About a fishing license I am sure all states require them and they can get expensive for non residents.
Not all national parks offer free fishing. I have found that the ones that do offer free fishing don,t have good fishing.
Yellowstone requires it's own license but if you go into Grand Teton NP you need a Wyoming one.

Always check local for what you can do.Streams can have a lot of regulations and you don't want to get caught doing the wrong thing.

I am rambling here but you can PM me for more info.

A few pictures.

Frank

Attachments

• markleeville oct 07 003.jpg
    markleeville oct 07 003.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 106
  • markleeville oct 07 005.jpg
    markleeville oct 07 005.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN0148.jpg
    DSCN0148.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN4435.jpg
    DSCN4435.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 136
If you're a minimalist (I tend to be also) the absolute BEST fly fishing technique I've found is Tenkara. Here's an excerpt from their website below:

Tenkara is the Japanese method of fly-fishing, which uses only a rod, line and fly (no reel). Tenkara shines in mountain streams, where the long rod and light line provide the best possible fly presentation. Tenkara is also effective in a variety of waters, such as alpine lakes, or urban ponds for panfish and bass. Tenkara is the ideal setup for anyone looking for an intuitive and fun way to fly-fish, something to take along on a backpacking fishing trip or teaching kids the art of fly-fishing, without the complexities.

Tenkara USA: America's Leader in Tenkara Fishing Gear & Knowledge

You can find Tenkara rods, lines, flies, etc. at Patagonia, Orvis or online directly from Tenkara USA.

Because there is no reel, there are limitations in the distance you can cast, but it's a great option in mountain streams. All of the fish I caught last year were with my Tenkara rod and they were all in smaller streams and ponds. What I like about it the most, is that it's so minimalistic and so effective at catching fish. I've even learned to tie my own Sekasa Kebari Japanese flies.

agree with groovy dad.

i tried a tenkara rod for the first time last year and found it a kick to use on small streams!

as i am real cheap i went on amazon and bought the cheapest one they had $7.00 including shipping :D
it worked so good that i ordered another one went high $ this time $9.99 including shipping.

made a canvas bag with strap to carry keep both poles loaded with 2 fly patterns.

fun,fun fishing.

super light spinning rig for larger streams/lakes/ponds with fly and bubble.

you do not have to spend much to get started.

les,lqhikers

I second GroovyDad on Tenkara for minimalist fishing on small waters. I think it would be a good and inexpensive way to get into fly fishing. You can use western flies as well as kebari. You don't need a multitude of different flies, either - just the old standbys such as Hare's ear nymph, Pheasant Tail, Grey Adams, Woolly Bugger and Elk-hair Caddis (just some personal favorites). On my backpacking trip to Grand Canyon in October, all my fishing gear including the tenkara rod weighed less than a pound and took up minimal space in my pack. My Tenkara rod is now my favorite to take to my local spring creek.

Here's a Grand Canyon rainbow and where it was caught on Bright Angel Creek.
trout_small.jpgBrightAngel_small.jpg

Nice fish ,highz.
I checked out the Tenkara system when it was posted a while back.
I like the idea of the light weight gear.But I don't need more gear.
So my #4 6' bamboo will have to do.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Nice fish ,highz.

Frank
#4 6 foot bamboo sounds like it will do extremely well!! There's no way I can afford a trout grass rod. I've not fished for nearly as long as you, so I had room to accumulate some Tenkara gear, especially since the price is right.

Some good looking fish in your post. I've yet to fish for grayling. Looks awesome.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Nice fish ,highz.

Frank
I vaguely remember bamboo poles from my childhood. I currently have about 23 varieties of bamboo planted on my land. Hhhmmm

Another vote for Tenkara on small streams. I tried it a couple of times in Japan and can be vey effective, sort of like hight stick nymphing with wets and dries. Japanese fishermen found it more efficient than using bait.

I keep a light rod & real for bait & lures and a 5 wt, 9' fly rod in the truck all the time. The fly fishing I'm learning.

Having dropped an expensive rod into a fast flowing creek and risked drowning to retrieve it, having helped recover gear dumped out of a canoe and broken too many rods to count, I'm an advocate of cheap gear. Just stop in any sporting goods store and buy a cheap rod and reel combo and handful of lures,weights etc.

Then figure out how to cook fish. Always tastes better when you're camping.

craig333 said:
Having dropped an expensive rod into a fast flowing creek and risked drowning to retrieve it, having helped recover gear dumped out of a canoe and broken too many rods to count, I'm an advocate of cheap gear. Just stop in any sporting goods store and buy a cheap rod and reel combo and handful of lures,weights etc.

Then figure out how to cook fish. Always tastes better when you're camping.
Makes total sense about expense and loss.

Back
Top Bottom