Flat bed side door entry-Dream camper

SER

Advanced Member
After much research and reading. This site is full of great info and ideas. I figured I should show what has come of my figuring. I started working with Bryan at AK Jan 2017 and talked him into making a side door entry flatbed on my F350, It is a 7'X 7' cab over and I loaded it up. Handles great and sooo roomy. Love it. The first one of its kind in the world. AKCamper_Dragoons2_Suzanne.jpg

I had an older truck with 300K miles on it and wanted to start my wandering years with a newer vehicle. So buying a used (like new)9000 miles on a F350- 2016 super cab short bed was the deal that fell into my lap. I like the shorter wheel base of 142" to get around much easier. I went gasoline after asking many diesel mechanics their opinions and wander the west folks chimed in too.They advised the 350 would be good for the payload we wanted on the truck. I didnt want to tow anything. Also less expensive to buy and maintain and maybe finding cleaner diesel could be a problem where we may wander and I am not in a hurry.

Highly recommend people to weigh their vehicles and campers. It is a pleasure to feel the truck can handle the camper and terrain in any conditions. Been getting average 18 MPG with out the camper on truck and 12 MPG with camper on board. I took off the bed sold it and built the flat bed locally with neighbor, put toolboxes underneath.
Total GVW with camper full of gas and 30 gallons of water, solar 2AGM batteries 2 peoples food and gear et al comes to the scales at 9860#. The truck is rated at 11,100 GVW
I shipped the batteries and solar panels to Bryan at AK so they could be mounted on the camper. I hooked up the rest of the components since they only offered a plug n play type of system.

Solar system was built with advice from Handy Bob and others on this site. Trimetric 2030 monitor & charger,2 12V Lifeline 125AH batteries, 2 165W everbright panels.

So far we have been in below freezing temps and 85 degrees and the fridge makes ice and the heater works great. No dewy side panels the insulation is good on the hard sides. Even on cloudy days my batteries haven't gone below 92% yet. So I feel confident several days (4-5) of parking in the clouds I still have amps and recharge quickly. The big windows bring in lots of light and the dining in the rear gives plenty of room for 2/4 folks if you have to be inside. If you have been into camping you know the layout of side entry versus rear and the roominess layout in a smaller space.

On to Inuvik and more

Yes Im excited to have this camper and future adventures off pavement in it. AK campers did a great job building and working with me. The project worked as planned with a few fixes on they way. It is rare to have such a good experience when starting into building something long distance. Communication before the first step building the unit was key. Understanding their process and visiting the factory first helped too.

I will post more interior pics. Sorry I need to figure out linking and/or resizing my shots.View attachment 29881AKCamper_Interior_Suzanne-2.jpg

Attachments

• AKCamper Stars_Suzanne.jpg
    AKCamper Stars_Suzanne.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 603
The preliminary floor plan. on left is a dining with 3' wide seats make into a bed and the main floor is open area 4'x 4' which makes it easy to cook, be at sink and others can wander in an out of camper, no bumping in the hallway.output-6-640x480.jpgView attachment S Romero.pdfoutput-8-640x480.jpgoutput-5-640x480.jpg

A F350 S/C with a flatbed pop-up camper. Love it!

Looking forward to reading some trip reports on where you will get to with this rig.

Thanks SER for the additional pics and info, including some weight numbers. I estimate you've put ~3300lbs on the bare chassis for a packed 7' FB camper with deck. That's a good reference number for anyone wanting to do something similar.

And don't stop at Inuvik, keep going !!! :)

Some more inside shots. I think Alaskan Camper will be coming to the Expo in Flagstaff AZ. 2018 This rig will be there if they come down and he may bring other campers.

It took awhile to figure out what I wanted in a rig. A bit of give and take on design. I am a retired wildand firefighter and have camped in the dirt with rocks as pillows many a time. Going from tents to truck shells to pop up campers is now luxury for me. Having a heater, fridge for some cold ones and a soft dry bed is a delight. When we wan to be out under the stars just throw out the pads and bags and we have the storage to do it all. So comfortable. I have been on fires all over the US, Canada and Mexico, which fed the travel bug for over 30 years. Now I can go back to many of the places that are wild and not on fire. Even winter camping will happen.

I have already experienced that the Alaskan is better insulated for the cold and keeping out the heat and quieter on windy nights. Being an AZ native I do like the western half of the continent for camping, but now that there is a house on my back anywhere is probable...hmm Always wanted to go to Patagonia

One thing that the AK doesn’t have is a screen door. I am getting ready to make one up for it. I bought a $2. Spring loaded rod at a hardware store and will sew a hanging screen. I am also thinking of rigging a toolbox to be on the rear of the flat bed to hold the steps for easy access(so they don’t have to be inside while driving) and other outdoor items.

Attachments

• bedtobackwithtable.jpg
    bedtobackwithtable.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 537
  • fronthalfsinkstove.jpg
    fronthalfsinkstove.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 547
  • fronthalfbyfold.jpg
    fronthalfbyfold.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 531
  • solarmonitor.jpg
    solarmonitor.jpg