Flatbed camper

rubberlegs

back country campers
I'm curious about the flatbed campers from Four Wheel Camper. There's certainly a lot more room and the layout looks really attractive. Too late for us but curious anyway (our Fleet arrives in two weeks!!).

The Fleet flatbed is 300 lb heavier than the Fleet slide-in. For a Tacoma, would about 300 lbs be removed by taking off the truck bed? Or maybe even more weight? Also how much would it cost to have that done?

It is a little tricky to compare between the flatbed and slide in weights as the 'base model' for the flatbed includes far more standard options than the 'base model' slide in.

You can save some weight when removing the truck bed, but not a huge amount as modern truck beds are quite light (aluminium/plastic) and you still need a tray to mount the camper to. Also one big advantage to the flatbed is the outside storage you get from under bed toolboxes/drawers etc. Once you add these you really don't save any weight.

I would agree that the layout of the flatbeds is far superior, both in terms of extra space and better use of that space. It wasn't until the flatbeds were available that we ever considered a truck camper.

I agree with Rando that an aluminum flatbed may weigh even more than the stock bed, particularly with the composite Taco bed.

When I pulled the factory bed off my Tacoma, I invited a bunch of helpers over, assuming it would be quite heavy and awkward to move. In the end it turned out to be fairly easy for two stout folks to move it - so no more than 200 - 250lbs + 30lbs or so for the tailgate. The bare aluminum flatbed was a bit lighter, 100 - 120lbs without the drop sides, but add back in 2 tool boxes, an under tray drawer etc, and I was easily back at 250lbs.

I'm on my second FWC flatbed. They ARE heavier plus they subtly invite more weight by giving you so much more space! I'm not sure I would put one on a Taco but that's just Mr. Travel Heavy ME! (Just weighed my Grandby Flatbed yesterday and full gas/ water plus 20 gallons/ full propane, etc it came in at 10,920#!)

GVWR is 11,000# so time to put it on a diet! As I told Denny Saunders today I don't really need a splitting axe AND a pulaski AND a chainsaw!
1puH15iKoODTIpJg2FpZSlQt0Wdq9vi_5yvbobaxeuz52mQ9o6AYTfoLwCN_81Xm961UlaZkZ2fj_deYqyaDoK6fZcbzIZLkrNBCjm11yskle1OoXOgX7RCWut4h1FGi2LoZxHPpa8QzgmAIY76rjhmJlx8R_j_ORfbF5yGSq15b7C4YcNZEhDPVe_NJ9Nrw2F26h8mb87DFrAALi6At9aAYYg9TYdKqG1GLxvlnau_p7dVGsEEzBp-l4c1ld2aj2UHS2-BGmGm2D6RBkREovjcubj4WtnLCZNYBaNGR5h6Haeec3ZY4JLnUHxuHqWgRThEaDq4o8vvg8gr0LPm3vkdArkGUEcy_N93QkT0qIVeiXBLa8tOU7jv6kwRpkOqn562Ys1iBD09FhSiP-2eImJye6K6B3e3CwzR-G2SWj2TiCH4JPM45Ri3Zu8-9mQhmu9oIK966Y8FQH6JV7geH-cM8FSM1QsBH-YJaazWQGGxb4baIaYQMnCp30HzudpGLgaVgaV6Exy4ZgouEgqCwXKdX7RHA38Me8xvNsYcYgHuuRyCWmwTYeSEgbu3NqP9hiH6Z4ixpIPQ99VJDG6k3i2qekpvjfpw33aP6nlRKTZ2tV-ce75ACk2uCoiGhOdVt=w1258-h944-no

Yep! And then there is that darned aluminum crossbox with 50 cubic feet of more space to fill up!

I think my bigger problem is the front and rear axle weights- 4380# on the front (I don't have the diesel) and 6540# on the rear! Time to do some deleting and/or shifting!
ETpi6Mu_kZdb3EBUVPCm7jAOb3o6tk_T3VXq0gCwy-4DilUYoB_WthTTeKUAk1oxUoTJwk_ULErt4mhQ6QEcYTfR0cGZ0Jx_RvPwyjBPmsM0zjum4032hWxLmDDyURiV4HUodtCOjy5zTUoztu_Td3HbaZhoKYosbFEG5KZYN-tlkE5ZxN0WCj9DVQQmdSiwe6ioFHqGwiOP0f8CrB_1QbUBZiAB0ngMQhaTCDhEtHubUXyeOB39Nsx5sHk-2Rfu16zmf7zKZSL07DbugUq42oc_z0b35hJ1jGoLdXKxwz5S1-N9tikT8TtALeKXm_ZomH4wwaRlX0UelhWvNtKZUiO7W2hQtlJkGs3qg76Zs2H-8cuC5hr5Jqyw5VwFc52f7i_J9p9cFZHYLMJuSyZk-ylfF3voMtJLDFceTZBbYjubJBEzBB4CwOwYO0T8rjY3xvHhS7u8S1X2DjZLHyoh_MwTVbXaqNDR8axVNiCjnp7RsH0LU_SYp3UnwSp8pWzl3zgmwJydOGx0LhWRcRqJj1XdMci17hd2yAvK7PYU80ndTMwCwcbZKbj5qIPCUed8_T-FKAz605SSqxhJfajYj9EhvzVe0sgwVpELYMCiAYllwMPJCjR7vDiVBsuUSOR3=w1258-h944-no

Hey Durango1, I was wondering how things had turned out ... after the various threads 'n all. Hope it's all good.

Unfortunately I can't see your pics.

Anyway I'm not surprised with what you say given my own experience. Craig nailed it, it the nature of the beast (both human and vehicular).

To rubberlegs (great name btw), we don't have a FB camper but agree it has some attractive possibilities. We do have an AL custom camper deck and I agree with the others and say it weights more than the PU box would have. Also agree a big benefit of the FB config is from the truck deck if it has storage boxes (under, infront, behind). These all get one closer to having a camper/rig with "tons of storage". And "outside " storage at that. But what I want to say is you can still go slide in camper on a flatdeck. (down the road ?). That'll give you even more storage on the sides. That is what we did.

Of course there is a weight penalty - and nope, I not gonna talk about overweight and LD trucks.

Interesting stuff, learning a lot. Well, I'm glad we got the slide-in. Less than 2 weeks wait (hopefully).

Being a long time fwc owner who switched out of boredom we now have a ford
transit van happy with it but wow can you put a lot of "stuff" in it, will probably not see
some items until we sell it !

Les,lqhikers

Back
Top Bottom