Flatbed DIY Help and Discussion

BBZ

Hey All
Looking to start a conversation about converting our truck into a flatbed for our Grandby.. Mostly for the purposes of having more storage as we like to do longer trips and would be nice to be able to have outside storage.

My idea is to get a CM Aluminum Flatbed and then add storage boxes on the sides.

Has anyone done this that can share their experiences?

A few concerns:
1. How to get the camper on centered, seems like that might be a challenge.
2. How to attach the boxes so that I know they aren't going anywhere
3. Best way to attach camper knowing it won't be on full time as I still need the truck for work..

Thanks in advance for any advice

FB_IMG_1539004872064 (1).jpg
BBZ said:
Hey All
Looking to start a conversation about converting our truck into a flatbed for our Grandby.. Mostly for the purposes of having more storage as we like to do longer trips and would be nice to be able to have outside storage.

My idea is to get a CM Aluminum Flatbed and then add storage boxes on the sides.

Has anyone done this that can share their experiences?

A few concerns:
1. How to get the camper on centered, seems like that might be a challenge.
2. How to attach the boxes so that I know they aren't going anywhere
3. Best way to attach camper knowing it won't be on full time as I still need the truck for work..

Thanks in advance for any advice
I can help with 2 of the 3.

Getting the camper centered -- as we are lowering it and it is an inch or so above the bed, its pretty easy to push it from side to side a bit to get it centered on the flatbed. Even with a rubber pad down, it can still shift, especially off road so I added some aluminum gussets to the sides to prevent that.

Attaching the camper -- I opted to use Torklift tie downs at each corner running from the jack brackets to the bed itself. It is very solid and takes little time to install or remove. I have attached a picture showing it.

I can't help with the tool box attachment as mine are integrated into the bed itself.

Hope this helps.

KevinFB_IMG_1539004872064 (1).jpg

I like Kevin's idea about using the torklift tie downs but I'd be a bit worried about the stress (side) on the brackets but it certainly would make taking it on/off easier. I'd check w/ FWC about using those brackets as side stress mounting points.

I basically has brackets build that the side boxes slide into and the brackets are bolted to the flatbed and the boxes bolted to the brackets.

My flatbed pretty much sits on the edges of the flatbed (sides) so that's easy. Front to back should be easy too once you get it where you want it I'd make some mark so you'll know it's in the right spot (that's assuming you were using the bolt through method).

I was researching this subject two years ago. YouTube has many videos that show various builds of this type. In the middle of my diesel truck search I found a complete, well designed rig for sale…and bought it. Many trips now and like 50+ nights in the rig and no regrets.

A slide in type camper on a flat bed with side boxes provides a great amount of secure, weather proof storage. All your tools, campsite gear, ground mat, fishing tackle have a place to stay and nothing has to be shuffled in/out of camper or cab every day. I have rear swing outs that carry a spare, two jerry cans, and a storage box for trash & toilet. Camper, boxes, swing outs all removable for regular truck use…about a 3 hour process. Love this set-up.

Reality checks: truck deck is higher with a flat bed by at least 4-6 inches. Flatbed and boxes will weigh more…full loaded with a well optioned Hawk I scale at 10000# and it’s all aluminum built.

‘05 Ram3500, FWC Hawk, Hillsboro flatbed, custom dabbed boxes and swing outs.

View attachment 42495

Attachments

• 155E0A2F-1E51-4F29-A02B-81AAC6561A4D.jpeg
    155E0A2F-1E51-4F29-A02B-81AAC6561A4D.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 96
  • FE4C23B6-0E1B-4ADC-816F-D42D51C83316.jpeg
    FE4C23B6-0E1B-4ADC-816F-D42D51C83316.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 86
kmcintyre said:
I like Kevin's idea about using the torklift tie downs but I'd be a bit worried about the stress (side) on the brackets but it certainly would make taking it on/off easier. I'd check w/ FWC about using those brackets as side stress mounting points.

I basically has brackets build that the side boxes slide into and the brackets are bolted to the flatbed and the boxes bolted to the brackets.

My flatbed pretty much sits on the edges of the flatbed (sides) so that's easy. Front to back should be easy too once you get it where you want it I'd make some mark so you'll know it's in the right spot (that's assuming you were using the bolt through method).
I'm not sure what side stress you're referring to. Many of the really large truck campers (Host, etc) weighing 4000 pounds plus use Torklift tie downs to secure campers with no issues. As I stated, I added some side gussets and the camper has never moved, even on pretty significant off road trails.

As a former owner of a FWC Eagle, I can honestly say that, IMHO, their mounting system was less than ideal. First, you had to access the turnbuckles, and then found that they often bent or came loose after an extended trip. Even using forged turnbuckles with lock nuts only slightly improved that approach. On their flatbeds, I have helped a few people load FWC's onto flatbeds and lining up four bolts (that are usually hidden in compartments) with a several thousand pound camper suspended overhead is not for the faint of heart. It was one of the many reasons I went with a Bundutec instead of a FWC.

I think the bolt down option is great if one never plans to take the camper off but for those of us who do upon occasion, the Torklift option works well.

BBZ said:
Thanks Kevin
What Flatbed do you have, looks nice!
Not sure what Kevin you are asking about but mine's a Hillsboro alum. I added boxes to front (under tray). I also put in a 'cargo box' which will be powder coated this winter in white (and I'll add a black strip). Picture attached.

Attachments

• 20220425_171523 - Small.jpg
    20220425_171523 - Small.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 48
I've been meaning to reply,

If you look at the truck section you'll see a thread about my 2021 F350. I am going to try to add a post to it later.

Since I just saw you are in Golden, CO. take a look at Bowen truck beds, (Eyemugh ??) has one for his hallmark and seems very happy with it. there are several posts about them on Expedition portal also.

Machinebuilder said:
I've been meaning to reply,

If you look at the truck section you'll see a thread about my 2021 F350. I am going to try to add a post to it later.

Since I just saw you are in Golden, CO. take a look at Bowen truck beds, (Eyemugh ??) has one for his hallmark and seems very happy with it. there are several posts about them on Expedition portal also.
Thx.. I have looked at Bowen, just way too much money in my opinion and like a year out... I would rather do my own.. Basic flatbed, add some boxes and call it good..

kmacafee said:
I'm not sure what side stress you're referring to. Many of the really large truck campers (Host, etc) weighing 4000 pounds plus use Torklift tie downs to secure campers with no issues. As I stated, I added some side gussets and the camper has never moved, even on pretty significant off road trails.

As a former owner of a FWC Eagle, I can honestly say that, IMHO, their mounting system was less than ideal. First, you had to access the turnbuckles, and then found that they often bent or came loose after an extended trip. Even using forged turnbuckles with lock nuts only slightly improved that approach. On their flatbeds, I have helped a few people load FWC's onto flatbeds and lining up four bolts (that are usually hidden in compartments) with a several thousand pound camper suspended overhead is not for the faint of heart. It was one of the many reasons I went with a Bundutec instead of a FWC.

I think the bolt down option is great if one never plans to take the camper off but for those of us who do upon occasion, the Torklift option works well.
The side stress I was referring to is on the brackets mounted on the corners since (in my mind, it'd be interesting to ask FWC) they are meant to lift the camper up and down and not for sideway movement. There are only 3 or 4 bolts mounted into the alum frame. I know a lot of people use this setup, I would just be a bit concerned.

As an owner of an older Eagle like you, I put backing plates on top and bottom on the mounting areas. My flatbed has them too.

BBZ I agree the price and lead time on the Bowen is high. but any custom bed and many of the non custom are close.

I tryed to look around for a flatbed before I found where I could get an EBY.
The local dealers didn't want to deal with me, I would ask for a price and either they were very high or wouldn't return a call.

I ended up going to EBY in Indiana, that salesman told me the price, and 12 week wait. I took a trailer and picked it up, wrote a check and installed it myself. (write up in my truck thread).

I had thought about purchasing top boxes, but the cost /availability/size doesn't see good to me.
My next plan is to use some oak I have to build side panels with drop down doors for access.
they will use one set of the stake pockets to mount, and will have pieces on the bed to locate and secure the camper side to side.
this will also be good for putting my outdoor kitchen on the passenger side under the awning.

I don't have a picture but I will use turnbuckles between the jack brackets and a stake pocket to secure the camper to the bed. I used a short piece of chain to extend the turnbuckle and a hook to go to the stake pocket, and a small shackle on the jack bracket .

Note shackles are sized by the shackle diameter not the pin diameter.

I recall seeing that when FWC ships the campers they use the jack brackets to tie them down to the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom