Fleet 180 Watt Solar Panel Install

badtoytrd

VA...for hopefully a short period of time...with W
Last year we used a flexible 100W panel as a portable panel but it was kind of a pain to get out and setup everytime I wanted to use it so I decided to put a panel on the roof. I knew I wanted a 180W panel because it wanted as much as I could get but still install between the 2 roof fans. I went with a Grape Solar US unit that I bought from Home Depot. I also knew that I did not want an SAE plug on the roof because of the poor weather resistance of them. I settled on a Go Power Entry Plate. This connection is an MC4 solar connection that would allow plug and play of panels. I did, however, have to order new cable pass-throughs from Mouser because I wanted to run a more flexible wire for the junction box. Once I had everything I removed the cross-board that covers the junction box and drilled a hole. After I had a hole I mounted the entry plate, ran the wires and made my connections. To mount the panel I used the AM Solar 35mm rocker foot mount set. upon completion of the mounting everything was sealed with Dicor Self Leveling lap sealant. Everything is working great and I am seeing (when I check) ~9 amps at the Victron controller.

Here are a few pics:

IMG_3699.JPG
IMG_3726.JPG
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_3867.JPG

Looking good. Having solar on the roof is great....I started with a tripod set up and eventually went to the roof. Just one thing less to set up. With the gas lift helpers lifting the roof is easy enough. If and when you get track mounted bars the panel will also clip to them.

badtoytrd said:
To mount the panel I used the AM Solar 35mm rocker foot mount set.
Looks like a nice installation. Did you use screws or VHB tape to attach the rocker feet to your roof?

- Rusty

badtoytrd said:
I used their VHB tape and then put Dicor self-leveling sealant over it.
Got it, thanks. I'll probably do the same on my camper later this year.

Back
Top Bottom