Fleet front dinette vs. side dinette

EnviroProf

Advanced Member
I've looked at a lot of threads about suggestions and buyer's regrets about how to outfit the FWC's various options such as thermal pack, yakima tracks, etc. But I would like to hear from those with Fleets and how they like the front dinette or side dinette models. The FWCs are so rare in the East that my only guide is looking at photos and floorpan diagrams. When a used Fleet shows up on the radar I will have to make a quick decision.

My use for the next several years will be about 70% traveling alone (plus my yellow lab/navigator), and about 30% with my wife.

My thoughts/questions from looking at photos and floorpans:

The front dinette seems to have wider floor space (maybe better for my dog to sleep) and more cabinet storage. The front dinette seating looks like it has more leg room than the side dinette, but entry looks tight.

The side dinette seems to have more open storage, rather than cabinet space. Does the wheel well make leg space tight when sitting? Also, does the narrower floor space cause any problems such as limiting the use of bins or other gear while driving?

Thanks for your comments. Sorry if this has been covered in detail and I couldn't find the thread.

My Bobcat is about the same size as a Fleet, and I went with a side dinette because you still have one place to sit when the bed is extended. BTW, it's going to be really cozy in there with a big lab. Fritz, my GWP, takes up most of the floor space at night. For our next trip, I am thinking of putting old sheets over the dinette bunk, and having him sleep there.

To answer your question about space, it's always tight in the smaller campers.

I had the side dinette in my Bobcat and I liked it a lot. Camping with a 100 pound blue heeler saw him sleeping on the dinette bunk as the floor was simply not wide enough for him to stretch out. If your dog is Chihuahua size, then it sleeps wherever.

fireball said:
Why not go over to Main Line Overland and check them out? They have both in their showroom now.
They have two Fleets in stock? I only see one used 2017 for $25K on their website. I'll call Monday and see what they have. It's a 5 hour drive from where I live, but definitely worth the drive if they have both configurations of Fleet in stock.

We have the front dinette in our 2014 Grandby. Our yellow lab sleeps on a bed that fits perfectly between the seats. If we get up in the middle of the night we have to be careful we don't step on her. We really like the front dinette, and others are very happy with the side dinette as shared in previous posts. Try and get to the East coast distributor so you can see and climb in both
jd

We went with the front dinette on our Fleet purchased last year. Decision made on having a bit more cabinet storage and maybe indirectly a bit more floor space for transporting misc items. I'll probably be second guessing myself on this one for awhile and if we had gone side dinette I would most likely be doing the same second guessing.

I feel like the FD is better balanced layout for driving and loading.
We never pull the bed out for north-south sleeping so access is never an issue.
Port-a-Loo stashes nicely in the lower cabinet by door so is always out of sight and easy to access when needed.
I do miss having a larger side window to look out of from the couch/seats.

We're quite happy with our decision..... except when someone starts these kind of threads :oops:

EnviroProf said:
They have two Fleets in stock? I only see one used 2017 for $25K on their website. I'll call Monday and see what they have. It's a 5 hour drive from where I live, but definitely worth the drive if they have both configurations of Fleet in stock.
not anymore

I bought it :p

But i wont be picking it up for another week and change

Personally I like the FD in my '15 Feelt better and checked out the SD before I bought mine to see the difference. I made the 2 hr. drive to the Woodland factory and it sealed my decision. The main reason was the Cassette Toilet vs. the Porta. The second one was the inside shower. I also like the location of the fridge and its door (that probably gets opened more than all others) being farther in than right at the entry. I also do not extend my bed shelf and go east/west which makes the inside feel much roomier. Last, I did not like the look of the back of the seat as you entered the SD. Just seemed hoky to me.

CraggyMan said:
We went with the front dinette on our Fleet purchased last year. Decision made on having a bit more cabinet storage and maybe indirectly a bit more floor space for transporting misc items. I'll probably be second guessing myself on this one for awhile and if we had gone side dinette I would most likely be doing the same second guessing.

I feel like the FD is better balanced layout for driving and loading.
We never pull the bed out for north-south sleeping so access is never an issue.
Port-a-Loo stashes nicely in the lower cabinet by door so is always out of sight and easy to access when needed.
I do miss having a larger side window to look out of from the couch/seats.

We're quite happy with our decision..... except when someone starts these kind of threads :oops:
I hadn't thought about the windows until you mentioned it. Do the front dinette seats block the view outside to both windows?

The front dinette blocks both windows. We have a front dinette and usually leave it made into a bed. Nice place lounge on a rainy day or dark evening.

Outnabout said:
The front dinette blocks both windows. We have a front dinette and usually leave it made into a bed. Nice place lounge on a rainy day or dark evening.
That's good to know about leaving the dinette in bed mode. Can you drop down only one side of the dinette at a time, so when you are sitting at the table on the opposite side you have a good view through the window?
I'm learning that packing all of these items into such a small space is very much a compromise. You have to pick your priorities.

Whoops, just watched the FWC video and it looks like you just move the back rest cushion across from you.

EnviroProf said:
If you are closer to Vermont, we have a fleet with a side dinette.

I'll throw out another option. The roll over couch. I have sat in both dinettes and don't want one. They take up lot's of space but have little space for sitting. I felt like I was tucked in kids furniture when sitting in a dinette.

Love the rollover couch.

MAOF is just a month away and I'm sure every configuration will be represented among the FWC owners attending. It's a great opportunity to pick brains, attend workshops, and have a grand time. Located close to State College.

Back
Top Bottom