Fleet furnace removal; diesel heater installed

mattp

I've been waiting to find a satisfactory solution to my 2018 Fleet propane heater issues. Been through every factory heater trick and solution but finally realized it needed to go! I have loved our Fleet camper (initially in a 2003 Tacoma and now in a Ford F150) but the biggest failure of the camper is the lack of reliable heater especially at higher altitudes and winter.

I have read and watched many youtube and other videos of the "chinese diesel heaters" but was lurking on this forum hoping to copy someone on the install and swap from the factory propane. Maybe I just needed to go first!

I removed the outer plastic cover and vent pipes from the heater with the largest problem being the putty or silicone. Once trim was out I disconnected the wires for the thermostate and small screws holding the heater. The heater slid out the exterior, wires were then cut and saved to reconnect the new heater. The space for the diesel heater was nearly perfect. I chose to route my fuel from the propane storage area on the back right and ran fuel line under the camper. I routed the control panel wiring back through to the existing thermostat location and swapped out the old for this one and it fit perfectly.

Biggest issue is choosing the exhaust and intake location but it fit perfectly. All is now mounted and tacked in place.

The key to making this work is probably that I am fitting the 2018 Fleet in my larger F150 giving my more space

Sounds interesting. I'd like to hear about how well it works.

I've been thinking upgrading the heater in my 2017 Fleet to a Propex heater. I camped out in 10 below zero temps this last winter. I really want reliable heat in those conditions.

My plans are to install a diesel heater also so I would love to see some pictures detailing how you ran the fuel, exhaust, etc.

After spending time in a brand new FWC this past winter I was very disappointed with the massive temperature swings on the factory unit. The diesel units seem to have an advantage since there are a a number of lower BTU settings to select from.

Back
Top Bottom