Fleet height-need to count inches

roamer

New member here, with '15 Tacoma access cab. I'm in the Pacific NW, so must bring it inside out of the rain.
No camper yet. The clearance over the cab top under the door, with everything as it left the dealer, is now 1 foot. I'm wondering if there's any hope of clearing with FWC mounted, with upgraded tires, and any suspension mods.
I see FWC literature says 8" higher, so I'm not so sure after any other changes.
Anyone know? Thanks. Great forum!

roamer,welcome to the site.
I have a ATC Bobcat on a AC cab 02 Tundra and it's height including the "vent" cover is about 86" from the ground.Measured at the left rear tire.
You probably won't know the actual height until you get the camper mounted.
What is the height of your garage door opening?
Frank

I have an Eagle (same height as Fleet) on a '15 Tacoma Crew Cab and the camper (including vent and solar) sticks up 15" higher than the cab top, 13" if you don't have any vents or solar.

Roamer.If you check out the camper height "down" on the FWC site it will give you the height. Then add that to the "bed" height off the ground - a few inches for the sag of the weight of the camper. That should give you a close total height.
You need to measure from the bed up not so much the top of the cab I would think.
I checked FWC site the camper closed is 54". So go from there.
Frank

Won't have our fleet until April 1 so can't tell you exactly.
But it's going on a 2017 Tacoma with a two inch lift kit and racks and solar on the top.
I'm planning on (hoping) this will clear the 96 inch opening to the garage. Stay tuned !

Ok thanks, ya'll. I just measured again, and I have 82" (6-10) total, so it's not going to go in, unless I half flatten the tires, which isn't going to happen. I do need solar on top. Oh well, looks like I'll see how it endures the Washington winters outside. It will be my everyday drive, so can't blue tarp it. Maybe one of those cheap Costco shelters. I need me a barn. Actually, I run around the West with a platform in the back of the Tacoma Leer shell for sleeping, which works very fine when I'm solo, and it's not winter. There's something about waking with 35 degree air around my face that starts the day wrong.

IMHO you don't really know until you put the weight on the truck. My truck is jacked up a little and I worried about the FWC fitting through the garage doors but once I loaded it up, the truck settled quite a bit and there is enough clearance.

With a 2" OME lift on my 2015 Tacoma the top of my Eagle is 85" including the vents/solar panel. Higher if I have my Yakima rack on the camper. My truck didn't settle much at all with the camper on, but I do have the heavy OME springs.

Depending upon the ceiling height of your garage your could raise your door header to fit an 8' garage door. That is what I had to do to fit my Hawk on a 3/4 ton into my garage....I just clear the vent by a couple inches. Not the cheapest option but in the the long run the best for me.

My new crew cab was also too long but that's another expensive story.

zCx6Sjb.jpg

IXviPsx.jpg

Mark G said:
IMHO you don't really know until you put the weight on the truck. My truck is jacked up a little and I worried about the FWC fitting through the garage doors but once I loaded it up, the truck settled quite a bit and there is enough clearance.
. Can you provide the measurement of your garage opening please?

rotti said:
Depending upon the ceiling height of your garage your could raise your door header to fit an 8' garage door. That is what I had to do to fit my Hawk on a 3/4 ton into my garage....I just clear the vent by a couple inches. Not the cheapest option but in the the long run the best for me.

My new crew cab was also too long but that's another expensive story.

zCx6Sjb.jpg

IXviPsx.jpg
Wow, big project. Above my header is a 2nd floor, so really big mod. Probably not, since we'll soon be selling this big family house.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
roamer,welcome to the site.
I have a ATC Bobcat on a AC cab 02 Tundra and it's height including the "vent" cover is about 86" from the ground.Measured at the left rear tire.
You probably won't know the actual height until you get the camper mounted.
What is the height of your garage door opening?
Frank
. Only 82" I'm afraid.

Unless your Tacoma is a bit lower than my Tundra you will be over that 82" mark.
These campers are very tough. Mine is on the truck all the time but not a daily driver.
I did keep it uncovered but the neighbors Monterey Cypress just dropped to much junk and sap.
Now I just keep the camper and truck covered with nice brown tarps.
Good luck.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom