Fleet porch light not working

Oddball

I have an 85 Fleet, and the porch light isn't working. When I bought it, everything worked. When I took it on the first trip, the light stopped working, in fact the fridge and furnace stopped working as well. Only the interior lights work. I checked for power at the fixture and the switch, no dice. I tried to trace the wires but all I see is a jumble of red wires behind the panel/wall. Any help would be appreciated

The old fleet's ran off one hot dc wire and each individual element was tapped off that one primary wire which runs from the front left (drivers side) corner into the cabinet under the sink and then taps out from there. So if you get a problem with that one wire almost everything goes down. When I bought my fleet nothing worked but the lights so I bought a fuse box, traced the lines and rewired each item to it's own fuse with it's own color coded wire. It wasn't hard it's all very simple wiring but it made a huge difference because now if something goes down I know exactly which fuse and which wire it is. The old single wire system is doomed to fail so i would take this as your opportunity for an upgrade :)

Sounds like you need to just unscrew the front wood panel inside, take a gander to see if there hasn't been some rubbing or mice, or look upstairs, then you're likely to either find an obvious culprit or it is a fuse which is an early (not so much) indicator of a coming problem.

We're only talking about a couple of wires. Easy peazy. Now get after it and post up your findings. And don't be scared.

And if you have a meter, you can easily test which wires are getting power and isolate it. It's likely a bad connection which has grounded out tripping that little fuse. Not sure on the '85, but if your heater isn't working, I'd look downstream. Also might be time to just do a simple re-wire and re-fuse to update it. Those are some essential parts. Let me know if you need help, and of course, post some pics.

If it's original wiring there is only one fuse, it's an inline fuse, I found mine in the cabinet under the sink. I am told on some older models they were under the carpet at the front left (drivers side) of the camper, peel up the carpet and find the wiring and fuse. But as I said mine was in the cabinet where you store the pots and pans, it would be easy to damage the wiring by cramming things into that cabinet the way it was originally laid out.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom