flip flop couch

sourdough

I like the couch/bed option that is in my Hawk shell. Just did not care for it being front to back and in front of the viewing windows. Couch or bed you could not see out the windows. Also when in the bed mode the floor space was nil and no room to use the porta-potty without lifting the bed back to couch mode. The way I've placed it...
IMG_2485_zpsf42ab958.jpg

IMG_2490_zpsa3dd0e6c.jpg

IMG_2489_zps0154cb57.jpg

IMG_2493_zps92fbf76e.jpg

IMG_2495_zpsb776cc8f.jpg

Oops big foot view.
IMG_2491_zps07ddbdcf.jpg

I found it is needed to pull the bottom support board and cushion for raising/lowering the the top. That is the only negative so far. The Hawk has an 80" wide body which I'm really liking.

Similar to the front dinette arrange when converted for sleeping.

Nice job, Soughdough! We have actually done a couple of these. We refer to it as a front settee. You can see it Redman's photos in this thread

Nice job,looks great and sure helps with having the extra space.I think for the folks who don't like the side dinette this would be a great option,or the "new" front dinette that is showing up on the newer FWC models.
Frank

super doody said:
Great job! Couple of questions.
1. Did you have to modify the length of the couch?
No. the Hawk shell was wide enough with a few inches on each end of the metal brackets
2. How do you like your Froli sleep system?
I've slept on this system a couple times now. It is much better, without the Froli springs the bed just didn't work for me.

Nice job, Soughdough! We have actually done a couple of these. We refer to it as a front settee. You can see it Redman's photos in this thread

Cool !

I was on the summit of Imogene Pass(13,000+ elv.) and a FJ driver with a RTT was drooling on my Tundra with the Hawk shell. Said that's all you need. LOL

Sourdough,
I love the couch position, I would have considered that arrangement for my Eagle...if everything else would have fit.

Think it is time we have a post dedicated to simple shell improvements not clone custom kitchen buidout of the regular camper.

Sourdough, looks great. any chance we could see a pic of the bracket mounting? i would like to do this in my eagle but the bracket are fairly expensive…did you have to reinforce the couch at all prior to mounting? thanks

erod

I had my Grandby Shell made with the front fold over couch, it just seemed to make more sense to me. I didn't like the idea of the window being blocked with the couch back. No floor space is wasted because I can store my cooler, 7 gallon water container and Luggable Loo under it. Also I am able to get at the 2 storage bins along the sides. I am usually by myself so I never extend/slide out the cab over bed and this allows me to use the extender cushions along each side.

Back
Top Bottom