floodlights..

norcalhawk

I would like to install two exterior floodlights or spot (type) lights with separate switches located inside my Hawk. Presently, I have a porch and awning light which was installed when I bought my camper last year. I also have two (group 24) aux. batteries, 3-way (small) frig., water heater and furnace and I run LED lights inside and out. I'm not real electrically talented, so has anyone hooked up floodlights w/switches. Any info/pictures/wire diagram would be much appreciated. Thanks

I have the flood lights supplied by FWC but rarely use them because they suck so much power (over 8 amps). I may replace them with LEDs in the future but I'm not sure I really need or want them. If I was to reorder my camper that would be the first option I would eliminate.

camelracer said:
I have the flood lights supplied by FWC but rarely use them because they suck so much power (over 8 amps). I may replace them with LEDs in the future but I'm not sure I really need or want them. If I was to reorder my camper that would be the first option I would eliminate.
I had the halogen floods installed on my FWC because I only planned using them if really needed. On hindsight, I wouldn't have gotten them at all. The standard LED porch light provides enough illumination for anything we do do at night even set up if needed. But we try not to use a lot of artificial light when we camp.

camelracer said:
X2

Recently installed a rear facing 10W LED flood light. Am pondering connecting it via a relay to the reverse lights circuit on the truck.
i-6sWBs9r-M.jpg

ntsqd,

I have a Ranger II with wings and built in lights. I know that most folks do not like that style, but to me the camper looks better with the wings. Anyway, I replaced the stock tail/brake/reverse light assembly with a direct replacement LED tail/brake only assembly. VERY bright, only no reverse lights, and of course the truck lights are covered by the wings. I then installed a set of PIAA oval lights attached to the bottom of the camper where it hangs over the truck bed. They are wired to the camper battery via a relay and 3-way switch using the truck reverse wire to "trigger" the relay. The switch is mounted just inside the camper door on the end of the couch bottom. The PIAA's function as normal reverse lights or can be operated manually with the switch on the couch. They provide "instant daylight" behind the truck. I rarely even use the FWC porch light anymore. I will try and post phots in a day or so if anyone is interested.

CWD

Powered by the camper battery, but driven by the reverse light circuit on the truck is what I am thinking of doing. I guess first I ought to fix the known Dodge problem of the reverse light switch.....

Testing the light shows that it will light up an area easily twice the footprint of the truck to a level where work can happen. I put the switch for it behind one of the 'wing' doors so that it is accessible from outside.

ntsqd said: