Floor pack

cavecarl

I am looking at a Hawk shell for a Ford F-150 and am concerned about staying under GVWR. I notice that the "floor pack" seems to be a stack of 3/4" sheets of plywood. At an average of 60 pounds for a 4x8 sheet, it looks to be very heavy. How much does a Hawk floor pack weigh? What is its purpose? Can't find anything in any of the specs.

I understand the need to save weight but I personally would not look there to do it. The structure needs to be able to take the stress and keep the sides from folding when under pressure from the turnbuckles.

Cavecarl,

Having put one of these together, I can tell you it is about 2 1/2 sheets of plywood. I used 5/8" exterior glued sheets. So you could look up what they weigh and go from there. Doing it again, I think I might have to go with 3/4", just for the added strength. The original Grandby had 5/8", so that's why I followed suit.

However, I'm in agreement with Oregon_troutbum, not a place to cut corners, anything less than5/8" would likely not hold up.

Considering its functions of a solid platform for the aluminum frame to mount, which has significant flex, it also supports your water tank (in some cases), batteries, and the mounting surface to the truck bed, it has many roles to play.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I may be wrong, but I think it's a single sheet. There are 1x4 trim strips that keeps the ply off the truck bed. Perhaps that is what you're seeing.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I may be wrong, but I think it's a single sheet. There are 1x4 trim strips that keeps the ply off the truck bed. Perhaps that is what you're seeing.
Its that way on my eagle but the sheet is really thick. It is at least 3/4 maybe 7/8. It would not surprise me if the bigger campers have thicker floors.

I hope this is still within the threads topic: that is the under support of the camper floor. If I have it wrong please let me know. Is the "floor pack" spoken of above the actual floor ply or are we talking added layers to boost height for getting the camper over the side bed rails? I have an Eagle and have to raise it 3.5 inches to put on new truck. I was going to make a "bed" on which to place the camper. I have a truck bed mat that is supposed to be 3/8" but call it 1/4 after compression ... I was going to make a frame with 2x4" stacked horizontally ...4 rows and cap with 1/4 " ply both sides to distribute the load as the base has 4 strips under which I was putting the 2x4's ... weight wise it is no big deal.

I had to lift my Eagle up a bit and while at ATC having some work done, they put some strips of plywood under the camper. When I asked why strips the answer was that a whole sheet weighs too much so just use strips (across the width of the camper) and lift it up to the desired height. I think the strips are about 4" wide and there may be 5 or 6 of them.

Back
Top Bottom