Fluctuation in market based on time of year?

kifo4173

I'm curious if the WTW members that have been around a while can speak to how the market for used campers varies throughout the seasons. Is there truly much more demand in the late spring than any other time? Or is this an unusual, high-demand market where an FWC moves at a constant rate year-round?

This may seem obvious-I have a general sense of how it works-but though others could chime in who have been around the FWC market for longer. Cheers.

I think the biggest difference that you will see is the volume of inventory that is available in the spring vs. the fall. In the spring you will see a limited number of campers come up for sale and they are usually purchased very, very quickly. In the fall there are a few more units for sale. They will still move quickly if priced fair or below market value (which seldom happens). It's the units that are overpriced that need a price adjustment or two before they sell and you'll have a bit more time on these units. I've noticed this more towards the fall.

Bottom line... demand always exceeds supply on these units, no matter what time of year it is. If you are waiting for a bargain you better be awfully quick and be prepared to purchase it sight unseen, or within a day or two maximum at any time of the year.
If you can get a unit at a fair price at anytime of the year and you don't need to travel too far to get it, consider yourself lucky.

Again to summarize my thoughts, prices don't vary much based on the time of year, just the inventory levels vary.

Others may have different thoughts than I do, but this is the trend I have noticed.

Even here on the east coast, which is a relatively new market for FWC (~3 years), used units sell very, very quickly. Even in the "off-season", used units are sold in a matter of days, if not same day listed...sight unseen.

I have yet to see a <5yo FWC camper at what I'd call a "bargain" price. Most sell at a premium because of supply v demand. A gently used FWC holds it price very well and usually commands top dollar.

If you find a used FWC camper that peaks your interest, best not to wait too long to make a decision.

My feeling is from early spring to late fall most people are using their camper. Once their camping season is over people looking to upgrade or try something different will sell their camper. It seems to me there are more available during the off season and I seldom see a FWC or ATC for sale during the summer. Like others have said, if you do see one you have to be ready to jump in your truck and buy it. When I bought my first Hawk in 2008 or so, I looked for over a year before I happened across one in Tucson, Ar. I called the seller,told them I wanted it, made a 15 hour drive from Sacramento after work and bought it. I had to pull the wiring and eye bolts off the sellers truck and install them in my truck. So bring some tools with you!! I'm sure there are a lot of other owners who have the same story. Good luck in your search.

Back
Top Bottom