Flushing the water system

southern_girl

Hi Everyone

Just bought a new Eagle a few months ago..for my hubby ;)

Went on our first long trip to Utah a few weeks ago. It was so much fun when we arrived in a snow storm in Zion - instead of setting up a tent with freezing hands after a 9+h drive, I turned on the heater and made dinner. yay!

Anyhow, this trip was fairly civilized, so we did not need water - but

we are complete newbies - and about to go on a primitive trip....

The water inlet says something about making sure the system has been flushed - so my newbie question is are we supposed to flush it with some special solution? For future reference, its probably best to drain the water after each trip - so, will i need to flush it out before each trip, etc.

Do "yuckies" - mildew, worse! other things present a real problem ?

Thanks - and sorry for the probably very basic question!

Far greater experts than me will weigh in here, but my brochure says to fill the tank with water and a few cap-fulls of bleach, then let it sit for four hours, then drain and refill. If it tastes like chlorine, repeat but with a cup of vinegar instead of the bleach until taste-free.

Money no object, I'd pump 20 gallons of cien-por-ciento blue agave tequila through the pipes. Works on my system.

Congratulations on you new Eagle!!! and welcome to the fourm.

DobleTraccion has pointed you in the right direction. You can google and some RV sites have what parts per million solution to use for how many gallons you want to treat for cleaning purpose.

sg,
Welcome aboard and glad you like the Eagle so much, we love ours, especially the heater. We followed the factory instructions for initial flush using a little beach and than flushed with fresh water until it tasted clean. We leave our system drained all winter to prevent freezing and than flush again before the seasons use. I'm not sure if the seasonal flush is necessary but it seems to make since after 5-6 months of non use. Best of Luck and don't forget the pictures, we love 'em here.

Thanks Guys for the welcome and the info - I did not get a brochure on the water system in my packet of goodies that came with the camper, but I would have liked to get the one that suggests tequila..

Hopefully pictures and more comments in the Trip Reports coming soon - but so far we are really happy with our set-up!

Pretty sure those instructions are available for download from fwc. I did the initial bleach treatment and now I just try and change it about once a month and before each trip. No freezing problem here. I find having water even when I'm not camping is nice. I've used it for washing my hands at work. Watering the dog, etc.

Back
Top Bottom