Fly Rod Vault

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
While looking for a fly rod vault that I could attach to the camper or the rail of the truck I came across this homemade version. Denver Outfitters wants $350 for theirs and the price will be going back up to $450 in the near future.

I built mine with a cost of approximately $50. i had to purchase another tool box as the original fittings were too small and the hole couldn't be drilled bigger.

[SIZE=12pt]http://www.instructables.com/id/FISHING-ROD-VAULT/[/SIZE]

The PVC pipe has pipe foam in most of the 10' length. I had to play around with the foam as the rod eyelets, especially the biggest one, didn't allow for foam the entire length. The 3' feet closest to the real box has no pipe insulation. The next 4' feet has the bottom half of the tube only, and the final 3' feet has the complete foam tube. I start with the rod upside down to make it easier to get in and then turn it.

20170824_145148_resized.jpg

I had hope to mount the rod vault on top of the bed rail, but the clearance lack the needed extra 1/2". I'm going to mount brackets to the jack brackets. I will post additional photos.

My hope is that when I stop to fish I can speed up the process, since my rod will be together and I will need to grab my gear, and maybe have to change a fly.

jd

I finished the project. I used 1/8" thick aluminum angle, drilled the holes to match the leg brackets and used "U" bolts to rest the PVC pipe on. I'm now ready for some good fishing in 3 weeks.

Attachments

• 20170903_123415_resized.jpg
    20170903_123415_resized.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 646
Jon do you travel with the vault attached?
Looks like an issue with someone hitting it.

Nice idea,could you mount it higher on the camper.
Like the top edge of the side wall?
That way it would be out of the way
and not stick out.As it could run the full length of the camper,rear to front of overhang.
Frank

Frank/Steve, I was thinking the same. I was concerned as well. I do have a carrier rack that sticks out past that. I was running out of ideas. I didn't want to put any holes through the camper. I wanted to have something for our trip in 3 weeks. I'm going to keep exploring ideas. Thanks for the comments. jd

Hi longhorn1
It does look good there. You are right about the ability to get the perspective of others being a benefit. Looks like you will still be able to access the rods with ease.

Russ

I am not so sure about the 10' rod case and the reel vault that is probably catching a bit of wind on the highway. I was going to built one too, but using larger diameter pvc and length long enough to accommodate rods broken down to two pieces. Padding inside pvs would be nice too. I am hesitant to risk my Sage and Orvis hanging outside the cab and if I am moving that much between fishing spot, I might like it to be handy and setup already, but it doen't take that long to set up.

Camped next to another FWC 2 years ago at Westport, Ca. campgrounds who was an avid fisherman. He had built a hollow platform with 2 sheets of plywood with 2x4s on edge in between. So 3- 1/2" space the length of the truck bed and 4' wide with a hinged, hasp locking door flap on the end. He essentially mad a new truck bed to keep a lot of fishing rods in. Then put his Grandby on top! I liked it. Probably hold 15 rods

Just bought my first FWC Hawk , flyfishing for 30 years in a tent, amp’ed to hit the road early spring. It’s 5 degrees here in Virginia. Need 2 rod vaults 10’ So just take a pvc tube and line it with pipe insulation? How do you get the insulation 9’ down the tube to stay in place ? Great idea, got to figure out something. Please explain. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom