Fly Rod Vault

Why not have a rod case? My two-piece rod and reel fit inside a cordura case, strung up. Multi-rod fishermen may want more storage than that.

Tightlines, I had to experiment with the pipe insulation. Look back in my post where I describe how installed. The end has a full piece of pipe insulation, the middle has half a piece, and the end closest to the rod has none due to the large line loop. I start inserting the rod with the line loops up and then rotate as I slowing and carefully insert the rod. I also use a bungy as a way to hold the box in place. If the tool box breaks loose, the rods go with it.

Thanks, will experiment with the pvc over the next few weeks.
Maybe the case is the way to go as well.
When fishing multiple days a close in locations, nice to leave the rod at full length, but have broken it down for many years as well. Thanks again

Tightlines said:
Just bought my first FWC Hawk , flyfishing for 30 years in a tent, amp’ed to hit the road early spring. It’s 5 degrees here in Virginia. Need 2 rod vaults 10’ So just take a pvc tube and line it with pipe insulation? How do you get the insulation 9’ down the tube to stay in place ? Great idea, got to figure out something. Please explain. Thanks

SD_Beaker said:
Just bought my first FWC Hawk , flyfishing for 30 years in a tent, amp’ed to hit the road early spring. It’s 5 degrees here in Virginia. Need 2 rod vaults 10’ So just take a pvc tube and line it with pipe insulation? How do you get the insulation 9’ down the tube to stay in place ? Great idea, got to figure out something. Please explain. Thanks
So I did the same thing. But I used 2” pvc and bought 3/8” insulation for 1” pipe from Amazon. It comes in 3’ sections so it’s challenging to get inside.

What I did was 1) Soap it up with a dish soap and water mix, 2) put a 10’ piece of 1/2” PVC inside it 3) my son held a shop vac to the far side.

The insulation sucks down onto 1/2” pvc and you can slide it in. Once you start, you’ll get it figured out.

Let me know if I can help

SD_Beaker

Tight lines not wanting to hijack the thread but if you're ever looking for a fishing partner here in VA give me a shout!

Back
Top Bottom