Folding roof panels

Tommieboy

One of the first things that catches my eye when looking at pictures of the interior is the two black end panels with all the metal rivets. To me it detracts from the look aesthetically and it doesn't blend in with the lighter coloured vinyl.

Is there a reason these panels are black and is there not a way to cover up the rivets to give it a cleaner look? Maybe a cost factor I don't know but I'd be interested to hear what others think - I haven't seen any discussion on this topic after doing a quick search.

I caused some water damage and replaced (well, FWC replaced) both of my simulated wood panels with the new composite panels. I thought they looked pretty nice. I did buy my hawk with the bench seat so more people could come inside in the case of rain or a thunderstorm but try not to entertain guests inside.

Steve

Tommieboy said:
One of the first things that catches my eye when looking at pictures of the interior is the two black end panels with all the metal rivets. To me it detracts from the look aesthetically and it doesn't blend with the lighter coloured vinyl.

Is there a reason these panels are black and is there not a way to cover up the rivets to give it a cleaner look? Maybe a cost factor I don't know but I'd be interested to hear what others think - I haven't seen any discussion on this topic after doing a quick search.
The black panels are the new fiberglass lift panels that FWC switched to in 2013 or 2014. They are in my new 2014.

I think it would be difficult to make the lift panels truly attractive. The new black ones are significantly better looking and more rigid than the older thin plywood versions. You could always paint the rivets if they bothered you . . .

For me it's the functionality that matters, not prettiness. My camper is a tool to make it more comfortable to "wander the west".

I hear all the comments and agree that it's a "tool" to get to nature, off the beaten path etc., but I'm simply wondering why it can't be made to look a bit better if there isn't a bit difference in cost. It looks like FWC makes an effort to have a nice clean look with interior materials so this just stands out a bit for me. It's not in the category of deal breaker, just asking if there was a functional reason.

My guess is it's dependent on what's available from their supplier, there may be limited colors and paint would probably chip quickly. Black goes equally well and poorly with any color. :giggle:

Had a 2002 Hawk with the old panels. My 2013 Hawk has the new black panel and I love them. Much better than the old flexible wood panels.

If I was forced to speculate (I'm not but will anyway) I'd guess the black is more UV resistant than lighter colors. But I honestly have no clue how they chose it... I don't even know what kind of plastic it is, but I know that black HDPE is better with UV.

Tommieboy said:
One of the first things that catches my eye when looking at pictures of the interior is the two black end panels with all the metal rivets. To me it detracts from the look aesthetically and it doesn't blend in with the lighter coloured vinyl.

Tommieboy,

I hear where you are coming from. My suggestion is to see a FWC in person, before passing judgement. I know I felt the same when I first saw the pictures. Look at the black panels more like a "feature wall". There is more than enough other black within the unit, that it doesn't look out of place. The units are also very light and airy as it is. There is no need for it to be a lighter color.

Black goes with everything. If FWC tried to match it with the fabric it would likely be a fail. Better off not trying to match, than trying to match and fail. In the end, even if it did match I think it would look better black.

If you see a unit in person, you will likely appreciate the utilitarian, quality feel of the units vs. a plush, artsy fartsy, cheap feel of other units. Everything about a FWC feels solid and well built. Function over form for sure, but in the end very pleasing the way it all comes together. Kind of like an ambulance or a firetruck.

Bill D said:
Tommieboy,

I hear where you are coming from. My suggestion is to see a FWC in person, before passing judgement. I know I felt the same when I first saw the pictures. Look at the black panels more like a "feature wall". There is more than enough other black within the unit, that it doesn't look out of place. The units are also very light and airy as it is. There is no need for it to be a lighter color.

Black goes with everything. If FWC tried to match it with the fabric it would likely be a fail. Better off not trying to match, than trying to match and fail. In the end, even if it did match I think it would look better black.

If you see a unit in person, you will likely appreciate the utilitarian, quality feel of the units vs. a plush, artsy fartsy, cheap feel of other units. Everything about a FWC feels solid and well built. Function over form for sure, but in the end very pleasing the way it all comes together. Kind of like an ambulance or a firetruck.
Bill D, Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I'm doing, going to CA to visit the plant and have a look for myself. I didn't mean to imply there was anything inferior with the product in my original comments, just my own perception from seeing images on the web. Seeing the product in person and speaking with the staff will settle it for me.

2X. Visiting the plant should answer all of your questions. Since our 2014 Grandby is our first camper, all we had to compare were pictures posted of older campers. The color of the lift panels was never an issue for my wife or I. After all this was a big upgrade for FWC going to a fiberglass lift panel , replacing the thin wood. ATC still is using the wood lift panel.

In my experience You don't really notice the panels after the first few uses. They just sort of blend into the background.

Anyone ever seen a lift panel made with open sections (cut out sections)?

I need to replace two lift panels in an old camper and am thinking it would be convenient to have access to the area behind the panel to clean, wipe off condensation, inspect and (gulp) repair the canvas as well as inspect/wires and the arctic pack (or equivalent) etc.

Seems like one could be made from a suitably strong material (i.e. aluminum plate or plywood).

Any reason this is not a good idea?

Regards,

Craig

Back
Top Bottom