Folding Solar Panels

RC Pilot Jim

I just got an email from www.solarblvd.com on the above. I removed the link as the page has been removed as of Sept 30, 2013. I would phone them for more information. Norco is near Riverside in Southern California

My email shows it folded up like a suitcase. Comes with a Charge Controller and a stand for the rear.

100 watt price $169.00.

I'm using the shipping carton to carry my 60 watt. Might be of interest to those of us that use portable panels and are "challenged" finding a place to store it safely while traveling.

2014 update
Solar Blvd has the suitcase panels back in stock, however this info not on their website. Phone them and get the info that way.

Built in charge controller. Very nice. If I decide I need more power thats a nice way to go.

RC Pilot Jim said:
It comes with a "built-in" Charge Controller and stand in the rear. For those of us using portable panels. Not a bad price $169 for the 100 watt. Comes in other sizes too. .
Thanks for the tip, Jim! I just bought the 120W suitcase solar panel. Just what I wanted in a portable panel!

Just went to the site... very nice idea. If one has already a 90 watt panel and controller set up with 2 Glass Matt marine batteries, could you parallel this panel (as it has its own controller) to your batteries? I am not sure but I sure would be interested in having more capacity to keep the batteries charged.

Just went to the site... very nice idea. If one has already a 90 watt panel and controller set up with 2 Glass Matt marine batteries, could you parallel this panel (as it has its own controller) to your batteries? I am not sure but I sure would be interested in having more capacity to keep the batteries charged.

Absolutely. Each charge controller would use the battery voltage to control its own panel input.

Thanks... now I'll save up and watch the price drop!... Gets to a point tho when one just has to jump off the dock.

Cool. So how would you connect/disconnect this? I assume you put the panels out where you want them and there's a wire... but then what?

If I understand correctly, this comes with alligator clips. So you'd maybe set the panels next to the truck and somehow run the wire into your battery compartment (mine's under the couch, so maybe through a turnbuckle vent). Then just clip on to the battery and that's it (and unclip when you pack up and leave)?

Thank you for the idea.

When and if I do an external I'll wire in a plug on the outside. No point in using alligator clips.

Camper 101

I ordered my FWC Eagle with a solar plug in the back wall. The wires (one red, one black) connect to the PLUS and MINUS posts on battery.

Install procedure:
1. Buy 25- 50 feet of 12-2 or 10-2 gauge wire (12 gauge 12-2 is easier to work with then 10 gauge 10-2) at the hardware store.
2. Cut off the alligator clips from solar panel Add a 4 wire flat trailer coupler section - Red to positive - Black to negative.
3. Splice in the wire to other side of the flat 4 wire connector(note I bought a 50 foot spool of red 12 gauge and spool of black 12 gauge to make up my 12-2 wire).
4. Use black electrical tape every 6 inches or so to connect the sides of the two cable together.
5. While at hardware store purchase a extension cord reel to wind the wire on.
6. If you ordered your camper with a solar plug mounted on back wall of camper call the manufacturer and purchase the other end of the connector.
7. If not you will have to work out the connection yourself as it is trial and error process

If your not skilled in wiring find a company that install trailer lights and they will do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom