Folding Steps

remithoren

Advanced Member
I'd like to add folding steps (I've seen them on other FWC's) to the rear to gain roof access. Any suggestions on drilling through the skin and into the insulation? How do the steps attach while screwing into the insulation? Did you use backing plates on the interior?
thanx

I'd like to add folding steps (I've seen them on other FWC's) to the rear to gain roof access. Any suggestions on drilling through the skin and into the insulation? How do the steps attach while screwing into the insulation? Did you use backing plates on the interior?
thanx

Take a look at this thread showing the framing. I would think you will want to line up the steps with the frame. I would try and bolt through the wall. I'm sure Stan or Ben will chime in with some suggestions.

rem,

We don't have the steps on our camper but I'm fairly sure they are bolted through a framing member from the inside out. As Jim said Stan or Ben will be able to fill you in. Good Luck.

Someone mentioned in another thread that someone else found that a stud finder will work to find framing members (how's that for a rumor;) ).

i too am interested in those steps...keep us posted as to what you find out. cane we purchase the steps from either atc or fwc? thanks

Someone mentioned in another thread that someone else found that a stud finder will work to find framing members (how's that for a rumor;) ).

Ben told me a stud finder does indeed work. Marty or Jeff recently tested it out to make sure.

we bolt those steps directly through the aluminum frame

make sure to drill your hold right in the middle of the frame (stronger that way)

we use a big washer, nut, and acorn nut (beauty cap) -- looks good

I can't ever remember a customer even noticing the bolts inside the camper here in the showroom (not very obvious)

When installing the rear wall steps after the fact, I think the guys here in the shop will take the camper trim off, peal the aluminum skin back a little on the rear wall to get an exact frame location, mark the skin and drill the holes.

Once the holes are drilled in the correct locations, it is a breeze to install the steps.

EXCEPTIONS: If you have a refrigerator or furnace in the camper, it is not always easy to put the rear wall steps on the driver's side. You might have to remove those in order to gain access for bolting the steps on. In that case, just put 2 steps on the passenger side and be done with it (not sure the steps would be worth the trouble of pulling the refrig or furnace just to have them) -- personal call I guess.

have a fun and safe holiday weekend !

Attachments

• rear wall step #1.JPG
    rear wall step #1.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 631
  • rear wall step #2.JPG
    rear wall step #2.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 660
  • rear wall step #3.JPG
    rear wall step #3.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 601
If you have the steps you already know this, if you don't... I find the step on the starboard side very convienent as a handhold when exiting the camper. Also use them to hang various objects from. Only occasionally do we (I) use them as steps. But when you need them they sure beat having to bring a ladder along.

thanks stan, i am getting them! i agree kilroy, i think they would serve a number of useful purposes!

Rear Wall Steps

Well Stan covered it on installing the steps. Depending on the year of your camper, there should be a 2" piece of frame in the back wall specifically there for the rear wall steps. We always bolt them all the way through the wall as the pictures that Stan put up show.

I have found over the years that the steps on the passengers side are the most useful. I use the bottom one to hang a garbage bag while camping and the top one to hang a coat or dry suit if diving.

If you put any on the divers side and have a heater in your camper, be careful. Anything hanging on that side can be melted if it hangs over the outlet for the heater.

thanks ben and stan! i will be looking into these soon...you guys are the $%#&!

To Stan and Ben,
Thanx for the info on installation. Appreciate it.
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom