For those diesel owners thinking of going to Mexico..

The only question I would have would be if we know for sure that the diesel they are getting is ULSD? I mean, they could be importing LSD (not the drug) although I know that Baja Norte only gets ULSD. I don't know what the mainland of Mexico does but I had no issues in Baja (only purchased diesel in the North) and filled up at Jesus Maria (last Norte station with ULSD).

US refiners are prohibited from producing LSD. Most industrialized countries now require ULSD (15 PPM) or a max of 50 PPM. Besides, with the equipment conversions mandate to be in place in 2006 at US refineries, they couldn't produce LSD if they wanted too.

Mexico is lagging way behind the introduction of ULSD at their refineries; they are several years behind schedule. Baja Norte sources all of its diesel fuel from San Diego, hence it is ULSD. Baja Sur is LSD barged into La Paz from the mainland refinery.

In Baja, I have not found or heard any horror stories about diesel fuel being improperly labeled at the pump. Look for one of these stickers on the pump...bottom one is ULSD. Middle one is LSD. top one is usually on the street sign with price. You still need to look at the sticker on the pump.

Screenshot_2017-11-17_09.55.44.png

The below PEMEX station is in Tijuana. You can't go by the street frontage sign. You have to look at the sticker on the pump. This station has the UBA Diesel sticker on the pump.

Screenshot_2017-11-17_10.01.12.png

As a side note...China requires 150PPM in all areas except Bejing which is mandated at 10PPM, the Euro V standard.

Back
Top Bottom