For Those Running Air Bags

WarpathEngineering

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at upgrading to an air bag system and would like some advice. I've had experience with air bag systems in the past..about 10-15 yrs ago and they were more of the commercial variety utilizing a self leveling control mounted on the frame rail and linked to the rear axle. These systems worked ok but were a pain to set up and keep adjusted. I'm sure they're better now but just the same, I'd like to stay away from them. What are you all using to control your air bag inflation? I'm looking for a set up that will allow me to keep the air lines to a minimum and out of the truck cab so I'm looking for something with electropneumatic soleniods. I'd like to be able to control the left and right independently for uneven camp locations. Is anyone using an inline air tank and do you find it worth the added expense?

Thanks for the input!

Rick

I love my airbags!I just put the shrader valves on either side of the license plate.I have a portable airtank(that I keep full) and 12volt compressor.I put 55 psi and they hold pressure great.I thought about installing a remote comp system when I installed my bags but it has worked out so well without it that I would not even consider it now.

Air bag inflation

I use the same pump I use for my bicycle. Takes only about 25 pumps to inflate them to the 30 pounds I run in the bags. No reason to use anything more complex. I use two valves mounted on the bumper. The bags don't really hold that much volume.
Desertrat

keep it simple

I strictly follow the KISS way of life (most of the time). I installed the air bags, connected them with a T and routed the house to the shrader valve installed next to the gas filler. This way I don't have to bend down to inflate them with the pump.
The first stage of this install didn't even get a pressure gauge as it's impossible to inflate the airbags to it's max pressure of 100 PSI with a hand pump (at least for me).

My first camper was a Sunlite, but don't let the name fool you, it had nothing to do with light. Empty it was about 970lbs so I had to inflate the airbags to it's max pressure. For that I installed at the end the original compressor and gauge combination from Air Lift. The compressor is inside the cab and pretty loud, but I only have to fill up the air bags once every week or two.

The simplicity of the system doesn't allow me to have different pressures between both air bags, but I also never had the need to balance an uneven load. I just try to balance the load when I put it up.

Like the others, I just use the schraders at the rear with a bike pump or 12 volt pump. I measure from wheel well to tire on each side to get things level. The bags hold the air great I have yet to add any air other than to adjust for weight.

I also have schraders on either side of the rear license plate. Not a lot of volume needed (10-20psi on my 07 tundra) to lift up the rear nicely. I use my shop compressor before a trip, but a 12v travel compressor will work fine. Hand or foot pump is probably ok too. I opted to NOT close the system with a T. If the system is closed with a T, then you can't adjust side to side. Also, lets say you are turning right. The right turn will force more pressure on the left side of the truck, putting more pressure on the left bag. More pressure on left side ought to force air into the right bag- which is exactly what you don't want in a right turn. It actually increases instability. Unless there is some sort of check valve in the T to prevent this, I would keep the lines separate. Seperate lines also would help determine if there is a leak, where it is.

I had AirLift before now I've Firestone. Swap out the AirLift because the bag location they use for 05+ Toyota Tacoma.

Air It Up - Air It Down

Kelderman's on the Tow Missle, which are Firestone bags with a better compressor and better hardware. If I was in the market for a set today, I would give the Pac Brake units a look. BEEN EATIN YOUR FISH,I SURE HOPE SO

Kelderman's on the Tow Missle, which are Firestone bags with a better compressor and better hardware. If I was in the market for a set today, I would give the Pac Brake units a look. BEEN EATIN YOUR FISH,I SURE HOPE SO

If sardines count, then yes!
:thumb:

It's A Fish

You're covered, the commerical fishermen of America thank you, at least the few who are left do.

Firestone Ride Rite with 2 valves mounted through the bumper to the side of the license plate. I air them with a small 12V compressor I already had. I haven't checked the air for almost 5 months but they seem to be holding. I may still look into Firestone's dual controller and compressor set up, but installing all the extra lines and the compressor location seem to make the whole thing too complicated. I do prefer simplicity.

Air Lift with the valves run out to the license plate. I fill them with a small portable air compressor that I carry.

Two years and 30,000 miles with no problems so far.

Thanks for all the replies! I whole heartedly agree with the KISS
method. I did decide however to install a compressor....I know, my
wife says the same thing. Why ask my advice if your just going to do
the opposite! Well the thing is, I haul more dirt, gravel and mulch on
a regular basis than I have the camper on. And most times, these
hauls come on a right now basis so......I opted for the compressor.

I'll be installing a set of Firestone Ride Rite bags and an Air Lift SureSet
compressor system which uses a small digital controller in the cab instead
of the pneumatic gauges. I spent 10 years of my life chasing air leaks on
Fire trucks and Ambulances and I've learned from bitter experience that
the shorter the air hose the better!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Rick

Rick,
I'm very interested in that controller setup. Part of the reason I gave up on the controller was all the extra air lines. I'd love to see the set up after you finish the install. Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies! I whole heartedly agree with the KISS
method. I did decide however to install a compressor....I know, my
wife says the same thing. Why ask my advice if your just going to do
the opposite! Well the thing is, I haul more dirt, gravel and mulch on
a regular basis than I have the camper on. And most times, these
hauls come on a right now basis so......I opted for the compressor.

I'll be installing a set of Firestone Ride Rite bags and an Air Lift SureSet
compressor system which uses a small digital controller in the cab instead
of the pneumatic gauges. I spent 10 years of my life chasing air leaks on
Fire trucks and Ambulances and I've learned from bitter experience that
the shorter the air hose the better!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Rick

I was thinking about the same thing, Firestone Ride Rite bags and an Air Lift SureSet. But can't justify the cost of SureSet and afraid of chasing air leaks "again".
Keep us posted on the progress. Should be an interesting project.:thumb:

I just finished installing the Firestone Ride Rites in my Dodge w/ the Lorenz DP Leaf Springs. The install went pretty smoothly and I am impressed w/ the fit/finish/quality of the Firestone kit. The only part I wasn't crazy about was the bolts they use to mount the upper bracket... I HATE allen head bolts in any type of application that necessitates a degree of torque to be applied. I went with the manual fill schrader valves on the rear bumper license plate holder for now, but will be adding one of the compressor systems in a month or two. I have to dump most of the air to get the truck in the garage and fill it back up once I get it out, so the manual fill is getting old REAL quick! I'm just glad I don't drive the truck everyday. Pics below.

Attachments

• airbags01.JPG
    airbags01.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 283
  • airbags02.jpg
    airbags02.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 290
  • airbags03.JPG
    airbags03.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 311
  • airbags04.JPG
    airbags04.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 290
No, I only do a 4 tire rotation. The tire under there is actually the best of my previous set before I replaced them w/ my current tires. The rim also doesn't match those on the truck... so...

But yes a good point for everyone that goes w/ the non factory size tire... especially if you go offroad is to replace the spare w/ the same size tire. I run 315 70 17s, which is the largest that will fit in the factory spare tire location. Even so, I noticed that it does rub the diff cover under full compression.

Back
Top Bottom