For those who travel with a companion...

smlobx

Lost again
What do you sleep on/in?

I hope I'm not being too inquisitive but my wife and I are trying to figure out what to use on our queen mattress of our upcoming Hallmark Everest.

Since the mattress is only about 4" thick I don't think conventional fitted sheets would work (particularly with our North/South arrangement.

Do you use a double sleeping bag? Or something else. What about sleeping bag liners?

Thanks.

I have been using a Travasak since the purchase of my previous camper in 2007. It is basically a queen sized sleeping bag, one side more heavily insulated than the other so you have a 'summer' and a 'winter' side to use on top. The special washable sheet liner is held in by velcro adjacent to the zipper. I found this to provide relatively easy cleanup by washing the sheet, with the ready access of a sleeping bag. There are a couple companies making such things, and they are probably overpriced for what you get, but I continue to enjoy mine. It stays in place on the bed when I close up the camper - there is room for that in my FWC.

I have a similarly sized double sleeping bag I use when tenting - if I didn't have the Travasak or know about them, I'd use that bag in the camper.

As far as what I might wear, I wear a light weight base layer when it will be below 45 or so, and a heavier layer when it will get below about 35 or so. So far I haven't run the furnace overnight, even when down to 20 degrees.

She wears more stuff than I do to bed - she sleeps colder than I do, I guess.

We use the what is now called the -

RV Superbag

A similar product was sold by West Marine (but no longer) for $200 and that's where we purchased ours. The sheets are removable so you can wash them. We made two sets of fleece sheets that work very nicely in the cold months. It has two sides for up - summer and winter.

when we had a eagle fwc/ toyota we used a double bag with a liner.
liner was sewed up using 2 queen sheets then safety pinned in,tried velcro
but i guess we wiggled to much hence the safety pins.
with our currant pop up (northstar) has a full size matteress so we use standard sheets,blankets,quilt
and top still folds down with room to spare.
do not miss the sleeping bags as it seems that the zippers were always getting stuck!

enjoy your new camper.

Les,lqhikers

Used a double down bag for several years. On the new Hawk with the extended cabover we do not pull the extension out. 48" is enough for the wife and I. Have a double Exped self inflating pad, just deflate to lower the top. Bedding is 2 flat sheets and a blanket, if cold a thick and light down comforter.

We don't pull out the bed and use flat sheets, a comforter and a blanket. On colder trips we take an extra blanket and pile our fleece outdoor blankets on top. On short warmer trips we might leave the blanket or comforter home. Sleeping bags constrain my "freestyle" sleeping technique.

Alan

Separate sleeping bags! I sleep hot, my wife cold - so she has my old Alaska Range guide bag (good to many degrees below zero) and I use a lighter bag. We use a flat sheet underneath. On hot summer nights, which we rarely get to go out in due to my job, we just a sheet and light blanket on top.

We use two separate bags, we do extend our bed for more room. When camping alone I use a Cabelas magnum bag with a zip out fleece liner for colder nights.

We use a double sleeping bag but Sioux hates the cold nylon. So we bought a double fleece liner and put it in with safety pins.

We also bought a 1" eggshell foam mattress topper from Walmart and inserted it in on top of the foam. With a gentle hand on top the top will still clove with the sleeping bag laid out on top of the mattress. (This applies to the old "hard as a fir 2 x 12" mattress in our 2012 Hawk.)

The mattress in our 2015 Hawk seems a bit softer but we will still probably insert the 1" eggshell inside the cover. (One advantage of the Flatbed Hawk is you have a queen bed without having to pull the slider out and take up interior space. Nice.)

I'm lazy and like the real easy to make queen size indoor BAG with warm/cool sides. BAM, it's made! Sleeps just fine.
My CFO/CEO/bedmate likes sheets and a traditional "made bed"..,
Every morning she climbs up and wrestles the covers to make the bed she is sitting on.
As long as she is the one doing battle with the sheets/blankets/bedspread, it sleeps just fine... Lol

Oh, yeah, memory topper, too...

I guess you could say I've made my own "bed-roll". I started with an old felt blanket stretched out on my living room floor; I placed a flat sheet on top and used small safety pins to attach the head of the sheet to the blanket; I placed a second sheet over that and with larger safety pins attached both sheets to the blanket along the foot; I then place one or two fleece blankets on top of those (unpinned) as weather dictates; if it's really cold I also use a comforter on top of that. I roll this up from the foot to make my bed-roll.

As I pull out the bed shelf, I unroll the bed-roll from the head. The blankets are longer than the sheets, so tuck the foot of the blankets under the final bed cushions.

Works well as the pins keep the sheets in line and they're easy to unpin for washing.

We have 2 sleeping bags, purchased at Gander Mountain, good to -20. We pull the bed extender out and sleep N/S. I'm 5'-9" so my toes hang over a little. We usually leave the bed pulled out while we are moving around and if we want to sit at the front dinette we can slide the bed back in and flip the sleeping bags back. The RV Superbag looks intriguing for warm weather/fall sleeping. During warmer temperatures we lay on top of our bags and cover with a queen sheet.

RV superbag here as well. We do have a very thick heavy duty double sleeping bag as well but it is huge, and doesn't have a liner. The only time I wished I brought it with me was the other night when it was 17 degrees out. Otherwise the Rv superbag is much easier to live with and more comfortable.

We have tried several ways. Our most recent is to zip two lightweight Coleman (Walmart) rectangular sleeping bags together, and put either a down comforter or a heavy sleeping bag over the top in cold weather. We can lower the top with the Coleman bags on a 1" egg crate topper (over the rock hard FWC mattress). The heavy bag or comforter has to be removed. We wash the Coleman bags in our washing machine. In the past, when we have slept in cold weather (5-20 deg) with no heat, we used separate 0 degree mummy bags, wearing long underwear.

We have the Hawk pull out queen that we are currently trying without the extended section. We have a 12v mattress heating pad under the foam topper (pinned to the mattress) that we can use if necessary.

The Superbag looks like a good option, since it would be easier to wash the sheets.

Great responses.Thanks everyone.

In reading the posts several people have mentioned sleeping in weather down to the teens or whatever. We are getting a heater in our Everest and I guess my question is don't most people use a heater? That was one of the reasons we decided to get a camper instead of shivering in our tent!

We anticipate setting the thermostat around 60 or so. Am I the only one who anticipates doing so?

smlobx said:

In reading the posts several people have mentioned sleeping in weather down to the teens or whatever. We are getting a heater in our Everest and I guess my question is don't most people use a heater? That was one of the reasons we decided to get a camper instead of shivering in our tent!

We anticipate setting the thermostat around 60 or so. Am I the only one who anticipates doing so?
Many are 12v cheapskates ;-) I set my heater to 50 at night, it has only come on a few times and was nice when it did.

smlobx said:

We prefer the cold when we are sleeping. 60° and we'd be naked on top the bedding. If you consider running the heater at lower than usual household temperatures (60° is in that area) you want to consider a thermostat that has a lower minimum set point such as -

Frost Sentry

Back
Top Bottom