For those with an Engel

brett13

Lovecock
I had been ignoring discussions about Engel 12v fridges figuring they were too expensive to replace (almost) free ice and probably did not save any weight either. But then I got to thinking- maybe they do save weight and space. Space/weight: you fit more into one Engel than probably two coolers since you don't need the space for ice. Weight- because replacing two chests of ice with one Engel unit, you may indeed save weight.

So my questions are thus:
1) Do you find a weight/space advantage with the Engel?
2) How is it powered when you are not driving? I suppose it draws off the battery, but how long can that last?
3) Other thoughts/comments

Thanks and I look forward to everyone's opinions.

Bret13:

Well, I have a ARB version of the Engel. I really like it. Here is how I use it:

For short trips or trips with one or two people, i use it as my main cooler. Fill it with everything, including frozen stuff that will thaw and help keep stuff cool and use less power. I really like the removable basket. I plug the frig in the house the day before, then move it to the camper. Place the basket in next, so it is not so heavy. I can also start it the night before in the camper, as usually I will be driving the first day and so will charge the batteries. I have two batteries....starter and a deep cycle second battery just for the camper and toys. It is under the hood. No solar....yet.

If I don't have a lot of passengers, I place the fridge in the back seat of my extended cab. This way, maximize space in the camper. I can reach through the sliding window into the cab to get what I need. Another reason for the sliding window!

If I am going somewhere with a lot of folks, I can be sure they will all have coolers. This also holds if I am going on extended (more than week) trips with little chance to resupply. I use the fridge to freeze food and cold packs. I can then change the cold packs into the ice chest to keep food cold and don't have to get ice. At least I don't have to worry about getting ice. Others will. They can travel.

Now, I can run the fridge in fridge mode for about 3 days on the 100 AH battery pretty easy. If we are driving every day, no problems with the freezer. Have yet to try the freezer in the hot desert.....one day I will. I think that having solar could really help. I have a 28 watt panel and it will actually run the fridge when the panel is in full sunlight. Amazing.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes, great for weight savings.
2. Powered from batteries when not moving. Never had tried an extended trip where we stay put. Expect about 3 days power.

Other findings:
My brother has a northstar with 3 way fridge. His is much bigger, but will kill his battery in 1 hour!! AC is nice, but how often do you have shore power (seems FWC users rarely do) Propane is cheap, but I have a shell and don't want to worry about propane tanks. Besides, those units must be level for the propane to work. Switching back and forth when stopping for anything more than a few minutes is a royal pain. There is also the Two-zone from down under. expensive, but might be nice to have the freezer/fridge combo going. One day I might try it.....

Also, get he case. I took it on the maiden voyage on some rough roads in Hell's Canyon. Boy did it get dinged. Also, the Transit lock option and secure it to the camper or truck. Don't like to see that expensie box jumping around in the back......

In short, espensive, but really convenient and fun to have. Don't leave home without it now. All my friends want one. If FWC/ATC could figure a design to have these built in......now that would be cool....

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Dave in Seattle.

engle

We actually installed an engle fridge in one of our campers for a customer. It will fit in place of the 1.9 dometic and he claims it works fine for him. The one thing I would recommend if you do though is to buy the mounting kit with the fridge. Our customer did not and we had to make a mounting kit for the fridge when we installed it.

I have 2 friends with them and they are running off of small solar panels and never drain the 2nd battery even after 3-4 days parked. I'm sold!

Just before Ileft for LA and the surgery I tried to start my 3way. It wouldnt fire and I didnt have the time of patience to deal with it. I'll try again when back in AZ but I have never had good luck with these things especially in very hot climates. When I ran it on 12V in 105 degrees it never got colder than 70 so its either another batt and an Engle or continue to use the Coleman Extremes.

I'm giving some thougt to taking out the rear sitting portion of the back seat and putting in a platform. Simi Mike have you done this?

How did you install it?

We actually installed an engle fridge in one of our campers for a customer. It will fit in place of the 1.9 dometic and he claims it works fine for him. The one thing I would recommend if you do though is to buy the mounting kit with the fridge. Our customer did not and we had to make a mounting kit for the fridge when we installed it.

Hey Ben,
how was this fridge installed?
Did the camper come as shell or with all the interior?
What size or model was it?

Jay,
Glad you are feeling better.
My Dodge came with the fold down platform option. I've found this to be very conveniant. Just lift the seat bottom and fold out the platform. When I camp I store cases of water there along with boots, jackets and such. If my truck didn't have this I would try to build one.
Check with the local Dodge dealer to see if this can be added without a new home mortgage. It is nice to be able to switch back and forth between the seat and the platform. Ebay Maybe?

Cheers,

Mike

http://www.engel4u.com/34_quarts_ac_dc_portable_freezer.html

2.5 amp draw. With my tri battery setup I woulnd't be worried at all for a weeklong trip. Even with just a single battery I"d just check the charge meter once in a while and run the truck a bit if it got low. Of course if I was going for long trips I'd break down and get a solar panel.

Really really want one of those. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket. Be so nice to be able to keep stuff frozen.

2.5 amp draw.

First, thanks for everyone's opinions on this. I'm still fence sitting, but I might break down and get one for next year.

The specs say 0.7 amps on regrig and max 2.5 freezer. So, assume maybe 1.5 average. How may amp-hrs does our aux camper battery hold? Gotta go look.

Engle fridge

The aux battery has a rating of 75 amp hours.

I knew someone was going to ask what model we put in and I did not keep that info. It was a full camper with cabinet. We had to build a mount for it and a front for it on the cabinet. I would assume that it was either a 1.9 or 2.0 cubic foot refer.

It was installed the same as we would install the dometic refer. One thing about it was that you could mount the compresser up to six feet away if I remember right. We left it where it came though with the fridge.

I knew someone was going to ask what model we put in and I did not keep that info.

In an email from Ben to me...The aux battery consists of an Interstate Battery #DCM-0075

Mike

Model

He was asking what model of Engle fridge. That was the info that I didn't keep:)

Thanks for posting the battery info though.

Ben,

I'd love to see a picture of that Engel installation. Any chance of posting one?

me too ben :D !

Ok, bear with me here:

Engle states the large model weighs 53#.
If I currently use 2 ice chests of 54 quarts each and fill them roughly 1/2 full with ice (blocks and cubes). That would be about 26 quarts of ice each minus some air, so say 20 quarts of ice each or 40 quarts ice total.
40 quarts = 10 gals.
10 gals water x 8.3 #/gal = 83# ice (before any melting and emptying)
cooler might weigh 4# each x 2 = 8 lbs
pounds saved 83+8=91
pounds added 53
net weight saved = 38 assuming I can ditch both coolers (ditching only one actually adds weight)

This math seem right?

Of course, there is the convenience factor, which is huge. I'm just trying to estimate weight saved here.

Seems right to me, Brett, but then I'm only good with Math, not arithmetic. :eek:

I was thinking about it from the cost angle. Say an average bag of ice costs $2 and lasts two days, so a bag of ice a day means you'd have to camp for approx. 700 days to pay off the Engel in ice savings. Camping 50 days a year, that works out to a 14 year payback for an MT35! :eek:

I decided to live on canned goods for a month straight to see what it was like. So far, not bad... :cool:

I decided to live on canned goods for a month straight to see what it was like. So far, not bad... :cool:
We decided to live on home canned goods since December 1999 to see what it was like. So far, not bad... :cool:

Silly Meatasaurus, ice is only for beer, not food. :p

Vegasaurus Mike

Silly Meatasaurus, ice is only for beer, not food. :p

This meatasaurus drinks highly refined beer in the form of WT101--

598.jpg

They spend so much time and effort getting the water out of that stuff, I wouldn't think of adding it back, frozen or not.

I tried keeping a bottle in the freezer once, like my brother-in-law does with tequila. It took on the consistency of maple syrup and I got all confused over that.

Speaking of confused, I'm wondering, "Is '-asaurus' a synonym for '-head'?"

:rolleyes:

This meatasaurus drinks highly refined beer in the form of WT101
Your missing out. I keep some of this handy at all times...
tg.jpg

Why is it that so many of our threads degenerate into comparing alcoholic beverages? Let the Guiness crowd chime in now...;)

Back
Top Bottom