for you ford 4wd diesel owners

HERR42

i noticed over the past month or so that would catch a whiff of of diesel fuel odor around the front of the truck. I decided to do some Internet research into fuel leaks on the 7.3L powerstroke and found a ton of good info out there.

we had good weather finally so i popped the hood and started snooping and sure enough as documented i found that a small valve that is used to drain the fuel filter bowl was leaking.

$250-$300 fix at the dealer, $37 for a complete replacement from www.dieselOrings.com.

this is supposedly a very common failure once you get beyond 100K miles.

while replacing the valve i noticed that i had a small hose running alongside the brake line to one of the front hubs that was just hanging. i figured out that it was the vacuum actuation hose for the front 4wd hubs. i got some new hose and slipped it into place....very easy to resolve.

both problems should have been caught by the dealer during regular service.
i am very disappointed.

check those hoses folks, keep an eye on them as they go soft and come off easily.

I'm carrying an extra fuel bowl valve in the glovebox, thanks for the reminder to check. Diesel O rings is a good site. I have the manual lockers, not as convenient but simple. Today I opened the AIS airbox and installed a foam extension to let it draw air in from outside of the engine compartment.

Ford 6.0 and 7.3 users would be wise to carry a spare camshaft position sensor. They are not expensive, easy to replace, and known to fail leaving you stranded.

I also had the smell of a fuel leak on my 97 7.3. Open the hood and in the valley of the motor was a second fuel pump that was leaking. Not a fun replacement, took me 6 hours and some bloody knuckles. ;)

Ford 6.0 and 7.3 users would be wise to carry a spare camshaft position sensor. They are not expensive, easy to replace, and known to fail leaving you stranded.

Just finally had my recall done on that and carry an extra one of those as well :) And a serpentine belt, what else??

a serpentine belt, what else??

10MM deep socket to replace the CPS
Fuel filter
20 & 30A maxi fuses

Distributor cap & rotor...

Just finally had my recall done on that and carry an extra one of those as well :) And a serpentine belt, what else??

A CTR could be useful. Oops did I say that out loud?

Do the 6.4's have this issue too?

I don't know about the 6.4. The 7.3 and 6.0 Ford's were known for this common failure of the camshaft position sensor. Dodge has not had the failures but at $30, I bought a Dodge CPS for my toolbox, just to be safe.

10MM deep socket to replace the CPS
Fuel filter
20 & 30A maxi fuses

Distributor cap & rotor...

Thanks, just went out and made sure I had the tools to replace the drain valve, takes a #20 Torx. Now to get those fuses and make sure I have to 10 deep.

Back
Top Bottom