Ford 6.4 Liter Diesel - One Year Wonder?

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
More truck research:

It seems that the new, and from short term tests well liked, 6.4 liter diesel is going to be replaced in the near future with yet another engine. Would you be concerned about long term support/parts for this engine given it's short production life?

That is something to think about. The reason I bought my Dodge was because of the Cummins engine. If Ford is changing the engine after a little over a year you have to wonder why. I like Fords and have owned a couple of them, all gas engines. You can check the Ford owners forums to see what problems people have had with this engine. Keep in mind that folks post when they have a problem not when things are trouble free. This may just be a change in venders and not a reliability issue.

The new Fords have really nice interiors and handle well for a heavy duty truck. However I am having trouble getting past the front end. Do a search on " Griswold Family Truckster ". :D

Cheers,

Mike

Ford has now changed their engine (in some cases radically) 3 times since '01 with a new one next year. It would appear they haven't got it quite right yet. I've learned the hard way to never buy in the first year of a model change. It's just me and the whole thing may be perfect but like my brother Mikey from SV I bought it because it had a Cummins in it. I had 30 years of experience with Cummins and they're bullet proof.

When Crown Coach ceased operations and LAUSD started buying other makes most were built on IH chassis and came with Navistar engines. Some were Cats as well. The Cats took a short time to dial in but we had nothing but trouble with the Navistars. When the soot collectors were added it just got worse.

I'm not here to dis Ford I've always been a Ford fan but Cummins have proved themselves on the Ram for a lot of years. I can't for the life of me understand why Ford changed after '01. My guess is they feel the same way.

Back
Top Bottom