Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost experiences

Yonder37 said:
Started a previous thread at this site on relocating the GPS and satellite radio antennas on late-model F150s:
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/24490-relocating-ford-antennas-for-fwc/

I replaced the backup camera using this kit, which includes a new camera:
https://www.mnrelectronics.com/250-8700-2021-ford-f-150-with-oem-360-view-and-mono-hd-includes-new-oe-camera/

Or can be done cheaper by removing and reusing the camera in the tailgate:
https://www.mnrelectronics.com/250-8701-2021-ford-f-150-with-oem-360-view-and-mono-hd-reuse-oe-camera-from-tailgate/
Thank you

Flyfisher said:
WjColdWater - What kind of mileage did you get with the 5.0 vs. the 3.5? (guessing that you drove them at about the same speed)
I have had 3 - 5.0 motors, 2013 STX Supercab 6.5 bed, 2014 XLT SuperCrew 6.5 bed, and now 2016 XLT Supercab 8 ft bed HDPP.

All 4x4, but first 2 had 3.55 gears. Both those trucks would easily get over 20 mpg on the highway empty up to 72 mph.. (best ever 24.5 Denver to Durango and back on one tank, Colorado mountains so max speed was probably 65-70, but a lot of 55 fish).

Current truck gets around 18.5-19 empty on the highway, and consistently 17-ish in mixed driving .. With camper I can get the same up to about 60 and then it dips from there.

I have 3 friends with ecoboost 3.5.. none of them were able to talk me into an ecoboost (and I was hoping they would)

The 5.0 is a fantastic motor and will handle a Grandby no problem. Old school motor with less moving parts.

2016 Supercab 6.5ft bed, 3.5L EB, 36gal tank, 3.73, 4x4 offroad kit, tow package. Timbrens. 1960lb payload, 45K miles, more than half of that towing trailers or a boat or one of 2 Hawk campers over time. I also have heavy BFG AT KO2 LR E tires since new, 275 75R18.

I keep a log of every fill up with comments on what I was doing.

One trip was WA-FL trip was with a Hawk rollover and a 18ft aluminum boat taking some longer routes. That round trip averaged about 12mpg - this is with hand calculating mpg (vs reported) and correcting for tire size. Usually around 65 to 72mpg. Wind is the biggest killer, lots of mtn highway included in my runs.

With a 2022 front dinette Hawk with most options in it, I get around 16.5mpg +/-1mpg with camper on, and 18-19 camper off. No long trips with this camper yet.

With camper off, 3.5hrs crossing central FL coast to coast Florida, I once filled up with non-ethanol gas and got an average of 22.3mpg. Have not tried non-ethanol with camper or when towing.

My GVW # is more than enough for the Hawk and towing a motorcycle or small boat trailer, but if you look at the rear axle load the Front dinette model CG is further aft taking my rear axle load to the max without the trailer hitch load. Power is more than enough and crazy quick when unloaded.

I conclude that given the same tow/haul/vehicle weights, the 3.5EB and 5.0 will get about the results. The difference is when running unloaded. If you stay out of the turbos the 3.5EB can do well.

- Mike

Yonder37 said:
(3) the backup camera is on the tailgate, which is removed for the camper. FWC will install a new one, but they didn't have one that worked with a 2023 F-150. Found a replacement kit which included the same camera that Ford uses; it plugs into the same wiring and uses the same screen on the dash. The car stereo place mounted it in on the bottom of the camper under the door. Viewing angle is lower than when the camera was on the tailgate, but still adequate.
Early on, there was an issue where the Gen14s had to have the cameras recalibrated if the truck was turned on with the tailgate camera unplugged. Reconnecting the tailgate left the errors cause by the truck not seeing the camera. It hasn't seem to come up since, so I'm wondering if this was fixed in one of the APIM updates.

Have you been in this situation yet, even initially when first taking off the tailgate? Or have you always had a camera plugged in when turning on the truck?

WjColdWater said:
The 5.0 is a fantastic motor and will handle a Grandby no problem. Old school motor with less moving parts.
Agree, only thing I'd mention is 2018+ models (I don't know if this has been fixed) burn oil. Something about some new boron lining was the working theory a while back. They increased the oil capacity around that year by 1+ qt vs older 5.0s presumably due to this.

jeep364 said:
Agree, only thing I'd mention is 2018+ models (I don't know if this has been fixed) burn oil. Something about some new boron lining was the working theory a while back. They increased the oil capacity around that year by 1+ qt vs older 5.0s presumably due to this.
Well, I will find out.. 2023 will be here in a month or two.. I have had a 2016, 2014 and 2013 and had no issues with oil use and they take 7 qts of oil..

BBZ said:
Well, I will find out.. 2023 will be here in a month or two.. I have had a 2016, 2014 and 2013 and had no issues with oil use and they take 7 qts of oil..
Do they have really short lives or do you just like that new truck smell? :p

Paul

PaulT said:
Do they have really short lives or do you just like that new truck smell? :p

Paul
Haha.. all have been flawless.. Brakes and Tires, that's it..
First one was a supercab, traded up to a super crew because the kids were getting bigger (drove to 87k)..
2016 is my first HDPP Supercab, bought at 44k (kids are grown). 71k now..
The new one will the last for quite some time but also need a big tax write off so its a good time..

Early on, there was an issue where the Gen14s had to have the cameras recalibrated if the truck was turned on with the tailgate camera unplugged. Reconnecting the tailgate left the errors cause by the truck not seeing the camera. It hasn't seem to come up since, so I'm wondering if this was fixed in one of the APIM updates.

Have you been in this situation yet, even initially when first taking off the tailgate? Or have you always had a camera plugged in when turning on the truck?
I have just have a single backup camera in the tailgate, not the more complex 360-degree multi-camera system. And replacing the tailgate camera was no problem, once I had the appropriate kit. Obviously there was no image in the dashboard display after disconnecting the camera and removing the tailgate. But the image reappeared instantly after plugging in the replacement camera (which is supposedly identical to the factory camera in the tailgate).

However, I do have one issue with the reverse sensing system that I suspect is related to the camera replacement. The truck has a helpful safety feature called "Cross Traffic Alert" which causes rapid beeping when the truck is in reverse and a vehicle is approaching from the left or right side. In addition, there is a second safety feature called "Reverse Brake Assist" which automatically applies the brakes in this situation (or any other situation where it seems like the truck might back into something).

Since the camper installation and camera replacement, "Cross Traffic Alert" still works as advertised, but "Reverse Brake Assist is Not Available". I suspect that this has something to do with the change in height of the backup camera; the replacement cam is under the door of the camper, so lower than when it was on the tailgate. Will see if the Ford dealer can do anything about this when I go in for service.

Got my new truck today.. would love to post a pic but this website doesn't support normal size pics.. truck is amazing..

Was told 2023 was the last year Ford would be offering an 8 foot bed in an F150 HDPP.... glad I ordered when I did!

Late to the party as always. I have had zero issues with power in my 2019 3.5 F150. Plenty of power for where ever we go. My fuel economy with Hawk in my .65' bed is at 15.6 mpg, down from the 18 I get without the camper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom