Ford Ranger Air Suspension Kit

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Hi all, new here and have found the discussions useful. I'm curious what the ford ranger pickup users here have or would recommend for an air suspension for carrying a FWC? Thanks.

I don't use air bags, but use Supersprings instead, since the camper is on the truck pretty much full time. There are regular and heavy loading springs available for the Ranger. You would definitely want the heavy loading version, SSA8, if you go the Supersprings route. I've been happy with them, on and off road, but I do take it slow and easy when off-road.

If you plan to take the camper off the truck a lot, air bags may be the better choice. I have no recommendations, but there are others on this forum with strong opinions ;)

I don't use air bags, but use Supersprings instead, since the camper is on the truck pretty much full time. There are regular and heavy loading springs available for the Ranger. You would definitely want the heavy loading version, SSA8, if you go the Supersprings route. I've been happy with them, on and off road, but I do take it slow and easy when off-road.

Hey, I have a set of SSA8's NIB in the classifieds section. Good price.

my 2 cents

Hi all, new here and have found the discussions useful. I'm curious what the ford ranger pickup users here have or would recommend for an air suspension for carrying a FWC? Thanks.
Hi 3pin, I have a 98 Ranger and a "shell" Ranger II. I only upgraded the shocks (Rancho) and since we are very light on the off roading, the set up is just fine for us. I was planning on using airbags, but we just do not need them. I suppose if you had all the options and really went ape 4 wheeling, you might consider beefing up your springs. It really depends on what you want to do with it. What year is your rig? We 3pin also, Nordics rule. -Skeeter

3 pin - I get your handle now. I walk around on skinny skis and fall over a fair amount on the forest service roads around here when there's enough snow.

Hey, RonSchon, are you also selling the mounting kit with those Supersprings? A mounting kit would be needed for the Ford Ranger.

When I ordered them, I put in what my truck was, so evidently there is a mounting kit in the box. I've never opened the box. I ordered them for a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 Crew.

Perhaps the mounting kit is a universal situation, but I have no idea. But yes, they have a mounting kit.

Send me a PM if you are further interested in discussing.

Air Lift Airbags on a Ranger

At the time I got my ATC Bobcat I had a '95 Ranger that I had equipped with Air Lift model 59516 airbags. On delivery day when Marty first lowered the camper onto the bed the springs flattened out until the frame hit the bump stops. The airbags returned the truck to level with proper inflating and provided "adequate" handling. There was still considerable sway on curves. I'm not an off-roader so I have no input on how the rig would have handled those conditions.

Thanks much for the info. Glad to hear there are "pinheads" out there! Now you know where our interest in a FWC comes from. The wife likes to wake up at the trailhead for an alpine start for spring skiing on the high peaks here in the Sierra.

Our truck is a 2003 Supercab FX4 Level II ranger. We will be taking the camper on and off as the wife loves the ability to just throw her bike or gear in the open bed and take off around home here.

Summertime backpack trips around the west we do get on some interesting roads to reach some trailheads, the wife loves Nevada and arid locales, and we live in the snow and drive mountain roads all winter. Good 4x4 abilities are needed.

I'm still seeking any and all freeback to help us make a decision on what will work best for us. I really appreciate your help.

Welcome to WTW.

I really like the Timbrens I put on a month+ ago. Without the camper you would sit above them and would be utilizing your stock suspension. When you load the camper on you would load the Timbren up with weight and feel the extra support come into play. In addition to firming up the ride substantially and ending any chance of bottoming out, the reduction is SWAY is remarkable when they are loaded up with weight. I also like the fact that that there are no pumps/etc. or bladders/etc to be eaten up by the onslaught of mag chloride/etc every winter.

We haul firewood in my wife's Taco because the Tiundra has the camper on it and I'm gonna buy a set for the Taco next to take up the slack on that task.

good luck whatever you decide to do

mtn

Thanks much for the info. Glad to hear there are "pinheads" out there! Now you know where our interest in a FWC comes from. The wife likes to wake up at the trailhead for an alpine start for spring skiing on the high peaks here in the Sierra.

Our truck is a 2003 Supercab FX4 Level II ranger. We will be taking the camper on and off as the wife loves the ability to just throw her bike or gear in the open bed and take off around home here.

Summertime backpack trips around the west we do get on some interesting roads to reach some trailheads, the wife loves Nevada and arid locales, and we live in the snow and drive mountain roads all winter. Good 4x4 abilities are needed.

I'm still seeking any and all freeback to help us make a decision on what will work best for us. I really appreciate your help.

Welcome to the board 3pin. I am new this year to truck campers but am totally satisfied with my Firestone Ride Rite airbags to date. I do take my camper off and on frequently, so it is nice to be able to adjust the ride when I choose to.

32 years in Crested Butte...nothin but tele!:thumb:
Black Diamond Crossbows, scarpa II boots....and hopefully big Pow!

Good luck with whatever you choose, and happy camping!

Paul

My experience with Superspring

I put Superspring's on my '99 Dodge 1500. It helped level the truck and felt a lot better on pavement, but on dirt roads that rolled side to side, I had a lot of sway. I added a Hellwig rear sway bar as well, which helped quit a bit. I don't have the Hawk on that truck any longer. Without the Hawk, but with the Supersprings, it looked like a 70's era "camper special" pickup - jacked up in the back. Without the Supersprings, but with the sway bar, it's more fun to drive.;)

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions! I'm still researching and looking under tourist's trucks at our local Safeway - security must have some good vids! Anyone else? Please weigh in with views/suggestions. And Phird05 - T2's and Atomic harvest the Sierra corn!

My 0.02

I like minimizing failure points. Stock leaf + air bags has more fail points than upgraded springs.

I want to add that the low maintenance of the Supersprings is a big plus for me, since I am basically lazy. I think I might just put up with the rougher ride if I removed the camper from the truck a lot. In a few weeks, I'll test that theory when I leave the Eagle in Woodland a few days for a dinette retrofit:D

(Note: The retrofit is more proof that I'm lazy, since I am not doing it myself with the help of the great plans others have posted at WtW).

I like minimizing failure points. Stock leaf + air bags has more fail points than upgraded springs.

Excellent point Scott. When I had my dually and a 5k lb Arctic Fox I had Rancho 9k's and air bags. If the air pressure was a few pounds different from one side to the other it was a rockin roll drive. And to be honest, if they were perfectly equalized, it was still a roll on the highway. And of course in CO it is very easy to have dramatic air pressure changes. I spent about $50 at Rocky Mountain Suspension on some elongated "bump stops" so that my overload springs were brought back into the equation and all the problems were solved. Heck, I let the air completely out of the air bags and had many times a better ride. Basic works. If you have overloads, you might very well have pancake bump stops - just put some longer bumps in there and use what you have.

These are some great points about simple. I learned a long time ago to always be prepared to walk or ski away from a broken vehicle - truck, snowcat, snowmobile, helicopter. We've done it and it sure teaches you appreciation for simple solid construction. I really appreciate you guys sharing your experience.

I installed air bags and am real happy with them. My ranger is a 2003 Edge. The camper settled the rig about 2 inches but with 60#s it is 2 inches above stock. Ride and roll improved a lot. Buses, big trucks and luxury cars have been using airbags for years.

I want to add that the low maintenance of the Supersprings is a big plus for me, since I am basically lazy. I think I might just put up with the rougher ride if I removed the camper from the truck a lot. In a few weeks, I'll test that theory when I leave the Eagle in Woodland a few days for a dinette retrofit:D

(Note: The retrofit is more proof that I'm lazy, since I am not doing it myself with the help of the great plans others have posted at WtW).

Please post pictures of the dinette when done. I have a quote to have FWC make the change on my 2002 Hawk. I may do it my self at this time.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom