Forest Rats!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Well...what Barko1 calls "forest rats"
biggrin.gif
...I spotted this pack -- 3 of 'em -- scurrying around the forest that is my yard this morning.

_DSC8067.jpg _DSC8070.jpg

So I sent my cat out as a show of force...

Get em kitty!
armykitty-Th.gif

Yeah, more or less...:p
...except my kitty is ninja-black:

DCP_1221-cropb.jpg

This morning FIVE spotted fawns and 3 doe were hanging out in my front yard. Must have been some kind of "play date".

Rat Steak a la Forest.
Brased Rat au Bois.

Not sure how well any of these will sell.

Think I will stick with Bambi Cutlets.

Rat Steak a la Forest.
Brased Rat au Bois.

Not sure how well any of these will sell.

Think I will stick with Bambi Cutlets.

At least you don't have any range maggots on your front lawn-deer I can handle! Keep em friendly I always say, never know when a nice Bambie Cutlet may what the doctor ordered!!

Smokecreek:)

At least you don't have any range maggots on your front lawn-deer I can handle! Keep em friendly I always say, never know when a nice Bambie Cutlet may what the doctor ordered!!

Smokecreek:)

And "range maggots" = ??? Cattle? Sheep?

Until it was sold and converted into a housing development (currently stagnant), there used to be a small private rodeo grounds next to my house. A rodeo club (sort of) used it for team penning, barrel racing, etc. competitions on weekends. One day one of the steers got loose, through/around the fence, and into my yard -- chased by a cowboy (sort of) on horseback...they dissappeared -- clippity cloppity -- up my driveway.
ohmy.gif
So, I actually have had a bovine in my front yard!

And "range maggots" = ??? Cattle? Sheep?

Sheep. They are white and move up and down and pretty much eat everything. Look at 'em from a distance moving across the land and it's an easy comparison.

Sheep. They are white and move up and down and pretty much eat everything. Look at 'em from a distance moving across the land and it's an easy comparison.

Mmmm....I like lamb! I don't know about mutton, though.
blink.gif

Cattle are called slow elk, yep sheep sure look like maggots, maybe not as smart though!:)

Cattle are called slow elk, yep sheep sure look like maggots, maybe not as smart though!:)

hum, we've (my family) have long called them "fat deer". And I've found something dumber than cattle; Bison. At least those Santa Catalina Island are. Have to nudge them with the bumper to get them to move off the road.

So I sent my cat out as a show of force...
[/quote]

Taken in our yard earlier this week. The "forest rat" appears startled, or at least curious . . . . . our "attack cat" is totally disinterested

Attachments

• Cat and Deer.jpg
    Cat and Deer.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 105
Taken in our yard earlier this week. The "forest rat" appears startled, or at least curious . . . . . our "attack cat" is totally disinterested

Pretty cool, Mr. Link! :)

I've watched interaction between deer and my cat a few times, and this is how I imagine the internal dialogue:
Deer: Hmmm... that black thing moves and looks like a predator, with those front-facing eyes and all. But it's so small that I can't imagine it actually being a threat. I'll keep an eye on it but not worry about it.
Cat: Stupid herbivore! You should be prey, but I know I can't get my jaws around your neck! Oh well...as big as you are, at least you're not a dog, so you won't chase me. I'll keep an eye on it but not worry about it.

Sometimes a young deer will approach the cat out of curiosity. If the deer gets too close, the cat will respond:
I know you won't eat me, but you're just too damn big to be this close! I'm outta here!

Something like that, I expect...
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom