Found my clunk

craig333

Riley's Human
Finally figured out what was making noise. I was working on something else under the truck and finally had the proper angle to notice the passenger side rear leaf spring bushing is shot. It seems to never end. Anyone done bushings on a truck like this? If its anything like doing the bushings on my Jeep I may let someone else do this one.

And of course I'll just assume the others are gone or will be soon.

Craig I just checked my '02 Dodge shop manual and the instructions are to remove the springs and using a press remove and install the new bushings. Sounds like a job for a shop unless you have access to a press and a set of good jack stands.

Dick

Yeah, just looked at some youtube vids. I'd have to borrow my brothers driveway (again) and I don't have a press. Unless I have a heart attack when they quote me I'll probably farm this one out.

The other way to fix it is to just replace the springs. Ours were sagging more than a little so I had them replaced with a factory spec spring. Compared to the labor to R&R the bushings they really weren't that much more. The shop that I had do the work (Ventura 4x4) wanted me to order the highest weight capacity spring (8k lbs), and then he tuned the springs to sit a little higher in the rear with the camper in the truck. We're level when fully loaded.

I replaced the spring bushings on my prior F250 with Urethane. Removed the springs, torched the rubber bushings to soften them up. Watched as the hardened metal inner shot across the yard trailing smoke and flaming rubber. Burned out the balance of the bushing, then cleaned up the inside mechanically. Repeat 7 more times, getting better at aiming the bolt sleeves.

I'd forgotten all about this, until this post. Something for a younger and dumber version of myself to do.

I have an appointment at Dentoni's Wednesday. A younger me probably would have done the job myself. However if I were to hurt my back ( a pretty good chance given how heavy those springs are) I'd be cussing myself for "not" paying someone else.

I've found a hole saw sized for the bushing is really effective getting the bushing out without much fanfare. If the bushing has a metal sleeve you might have a little work to get that out but it's not too bad.

But I can see the need to just get it done and have a shop do it.

Me, I just bought new springs and bushings for the front leafs on my K5. No goofing around with the old ones.

craig333 said:
I have an appointment at Dentoni's Wednesday. A younger me probably would have done the job myself. However if I were to hurt my back ( a pretty good chance given how heavy those springs are) I'd be cussing myself for "not" paying someone else.
Craig there comes a time in our lives when spending the money to have something
we "could" have done at a younger age worth it.

Good choice.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom