Four Wheel Camper All Terrain Camper alternatives

Not quite sure what the video proves. I've seen clowns get way more out of a much smaller vehicle and kids in the 60's could put 20+ people in a phone booth but I wouldn't want to take it camping.

I took a look a a new Northstar and thought that the quality and construction was very high.
I also was impressed by this vid:

ken

The camper on jacks may support that weight but if it was in the back of your truck a stock 1/2truck would be sitting on its rails with 1.5+tons in it, that would likely overload most 3/4tons as well... so what exactly does it prove other than you'd need a 1ton truck to do what they showed in the video or they assume folks are going to removed the camper from the truck all the time... really don't see what the intention of that video was.

The Northstar Campers are very nice campers for what they are.

They are well built and have a good reputation for holding up well.

But as far as I know they are still wood frame construction (stapled & glued together).

I havn't seen any other campers built like the four wheel campers.

The FWC's are geared towards, and have always been geared towards the durability & utility approach.

Our welded aluminum frame really holds up well for customers that like to travel on the roads less traveled.

<br />The Northstar Campers are very nice campers for what they are.<br /><br />They are well built and have a good reputation for holding up well.<br /><br />But as far as I know they are still wood frame construction (stapled &amp; glued together).<br /><br />I havn't seen any other campers built like the four wheel campers.<br /><br />The FWC's are geared towards, and have always been geared towards the durability &amp; utility approach.<br /><br />Our welded aluminum frame really holds up well for customers that like to travel on the roads less traveled.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I have a Hallmark Milner LX, and couldn't be happier. It handles great off road and is just what I was looking for. Since there were several negative things said about wood frames, I figured I would chime in. I have nothing but great things to say about my Milner LX, and the customer service and how they treat me WHENEVER I have had questions is unparralled.

As far as the weight issue goes, Hallmark advertises the finished weight. I honestly think there is too much emphasis on the whole weight issue anyway. The only place you can really save weight on any of these campers are the walls. If HONESTLY comparing option for option weight, the only place there CAN be a difference is the walls. The walls on my Milner LX weigh roughly 150 pounds. If you put the SAME options in a Four Wheel, ATC, or Hallmark the only difference in weight can be the walls. Besides, the trucks that are represented on this forum are not going to notice 2 or 3 hundred pounds. Bottom line, if you have a truck that properly handles the weight, on AND off road, what's the big deal.

I am honestly not trying to be antagonistic, and hope I am not taken that way. But, I did a LOT of research (for almost three years) before I pulled the trigger to buy a camper. My final decision came down to the Four Wheel and the Hallmark Milner LX (equilvilant to the Hawk). Once I visually compared both campers of the same model year, for me there was no question as to which I would purchase. Certainly, everyone should consider the weight to some degree, but that shouldn't make or break your decision, unless your truck won't handle it. I have several reasons I chose the Hallmark, and rather than making anyone suffer my post any longer, feel free to PM me if your are interested some of the reasons for my decision.

Anyway, Get what works for you and what your truck can handle.

Good camping,

Paul

<br />Greetings<br /><br />I have been struggling to find a used FWC or ATC for my 2001 Tundra access cab(that is not priced like new). Have any of you used a wood frame camper like a Sunlite before you switched to the aluminum style? Did it work for light off road use, like the White Rim Trail? <br /><br />A Sunlite poptop weighs approximately 1300 pounds or so according to the label I read on one. What does a FWC or ATC weigh in the real world in a base configuration? (sink/stove/refrig/couch/extended cab)?<br /><br />Any thoughts would be appreciated.<br /><br />Keith<br />La Mesa CA<br />
<br /><br /><br />

My first truck camper was a Sunlite that I bought with about 8 years. It was pretty well kept and maintained. I put it on my 03 Tacoma end went from Florida to Nova Scotia and back for about 3 weeks.We re 2 adults, 2 kids and one dog; this was maybe a little heavy for the little truck, but everything went smooth. The quality of the Sunlite was ok, but I wouldn't take it off road, the sound effects you'd get from the camper are just horrible. The weight was also limiting us very much on the roads we could take. Frame twisting caused terrible noises from the camper and I think I pulled more than one staple out of the camper frame.

I switched from the sunlite to an ATC Bobcat, and I'm really happy with it. I'm not going really off road,just a little bit of washboards, beach, sand dunes, some frame twisting, bone jarring back roads in Mexico ;)

The Bobcat is holding up great and we had no problems on the last 5000 miles.

One advantage the Sunlite had was the storage space, it felt much bigger that the Bobcat now.

We all have our preferences and expectations.

For me the tell-tale sign that I wanted a FWC/ATC build (alum frame) was that once I started looking around I saw a lot of early 80's-90's FWC's on the road but I rarely came across any other campers by other makers that were THAT old and STILL INTACT AND USEABLE.

I can't count the # of ads I saw with other campers where a corner had split...or the pop up was peeling off...or some other visible damage was present. Those were all clear signs to me that many other campers may LOOK like FWC/ATC...but they sure don't LAST like FWC/ATC. (metal over wood is a no-brainer for longevity)

no matter what'cha got though

....have fun

mtn

Thanks Cabezon

Your first hand info is most helpful. I have decided based on all I have heard to wait for a FWC or ATC. I really do want the lighter weight and durability because I do prefer the crustier Forest Service roads and like to camp away from RV campgrounds where they pack you in like the houses here in San Diego(wall to wall).

My wife and I got rid of our RV and are actually going in reverse (from maximus to minimalist) All we really need is the basics. Stove, sink, beds off the ground and a place to keep from getting bit by those nasty skeets at night.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom