Four Wheel Camper custom bike rack

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I put a lot of thought into how to transport bikes on my camper. Ultimately, I decided hanging them off the back was the best solution.

Attachments

• camper-bike-rack640.jpg
    camper-bike-rack640.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 2,828
I was camping at Rock Creek in the eastern Sierras this last weekend, and I saw this bike rack on a pick-up. This seems like the perfect answer to the bike storage problem. Go to "Thule" and check out the "Trailblazer" model. I didn't get a chance to talk to the people, But it looked very well built. It is a 2" receiver mount type so no trailer.

Mike

Custom Bike Rack

So DD, what type of rack do you have that bike hooked to in your photo? It might be a Yakima. What fitting holds the forks to the bar? Do I see a bungee holding the frame to the truck's bumper? Got any more hot tips?

Thanks, Stew

So DD, what type of rack do you have that bike hooked to in your photo? It might be a Yakima. What fitting holds the forks to the bar? Do I see a bungee holding the frame to the truck's bumper? Got any more hot tips?

Thanks, Stew

Yeah its just a single set of Yakima towers and crossbar. Standard fork mount blocks. I cut down a couple 6ft tie down straps to about 4ft and attach one end to the rear dropout of the bike, and the other end to the bumper. I used some adhesive material on the back of the camper where the wheel rests to protect the camper from abrasions from the bike tire.

The method NCF posted would in some ways be preferable, but in other ways would not. I think you could only fit two mounts that way, where with the rack I was able to fit three since the fork blocks are above obstacles like the rear floodlights and door stop. Also - the rear wheel mount ideally would need to have vertical adjustments to fit bikes with varying wheelbases. It would be a nice setup, but difficult to do it right.

Yeah I have to remove the bikes to pop the top - definately a con. Another con is that the higher the rack, the harder it is to mount the bikes. I'm sure that setup you showed is easier to use than mine was.

This has worked well for me so far...its important to get a rack that has a hinge so you don't have to remove it from the hitch every time you want to get in the camper!

Attachments

• IMGP1125.jpg
    IMGP1125.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,840
Haven't really used them much. The previous owner used them for a canoe. I have used Yakima for years on various cars. Those are getting rusty and need replacement but I don't have the key.:(

bummer, is there a key # on the lock, maybe you could call yakima, or yakima dealer to get a replacement key...just a thought.

Guys,
When I got my camper, the Yakima racks did not have keys, either. i got a local locksmith to get the core out. It takes the special core insertion tool from Yakima to actually get them out once picked. On the core, will be the code for the key. usually, a letter followed by 3 numbers like 'A123". I just went to REI, found some cores with the same code, bought them and then I now had keys! Locksmith, 8.50. Cores, about 3o bucks. much cheaper than new racks!

Nice.

dave

I'll give it a try. The old ones are bolted through the roof and I would really like to but Yakima tracks on instead. $$$$$

Wheel Mount

NorthCoastFishing,

I'm working on a rear wall bike mounting method and was just reviewed this thread. I'm interested in the rear wheel mount you posted in your second picture. I've looked for it on line and haven't had any luck. What band is it and who makes it? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rear Wall Bike Mount

Here are some pictures of the bike rack I added to the rear of the camper. We got tired of loading the bikes inside and wanted something that would let us get in the door and raise the roof without removing the bikes. The tailgate made the lower connection solid, easy to make, and holds the tire off the heater cover.

I really wanted to mount the fork blocks directly to the camper but the backing just wasn't low enough to make it work. The need for a mounting plate will make it easier to adjust height in the future if we change bikes. I would have preferred using aluminum for the back plate but it wasn't easily available. So, wood will have to do for the prototype (yea, another prototype that will likely stay a long time). I used putty tape to seal the plate top & sides and the bolt and screw holes so the plate could be changed out later. I also added the safety strap to the top for long trips and rough roads. Even though I've never lost a fork block connection I'd hate to have it cut loose especially on the highway.

Attachments

• phpjaWFlnPM.jpg
    phpjaWFlnPM.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,338
  • php7nnzevPM.jpg
    php7nnzevPM.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • php0g0He7PM.jpg
    php0g0He7PM.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • phpoUBchTPM.jpg
    phpoUBchTPM.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,069
DLN, very nice...always stoked to see pics of your rig, great looking and well thought out!

erod,

Thanks man, now I just need to get my air bags so I can get the rear end of the truck leveled out. The parts should be here early next week.

congrats...you'll dig the air bags! good luck on the install...

Here are some pictures of the bike rack I added to the rear of the camper. We got tired of loading the bikes inside and wanted something that would let us get in the door and raise the roof without removing the bikes. The tailgate made the lower connection solid, easy to make, and holds the tire off the heater cover.

I really wanted to mount the fork blocks directly to the camper but the backing just wasn't low enough to make it work. The need for a mounting plate will make it easier to adjust height in the future if we change bikes. I would have preferred using aluminum for the back plate but it wasn't easily available. So, wood will have to do for the prototype (yea, another prototype that will likely stay a long time). I used putty tape to seal the plate top & sides and the bolt and screw holes so the plate could be changed out later. I also added the safety strap to the top for long trips and rough roads. Even though I've never lost a fork block connection I'd hate to have it cut loose especially on the highway.

Old thread, but I'm thinking about doing something similar on the back. I just noticed the handlebars are both turned 90 degrees, so I assume you have to loosen them and tighten them each time you put on or take off the bikes right? Otherwise the forkmounts would be turned the other direction I suppose.

I highly recommend a hitch mount swing out bike rack that allows easy access to the camper. Holds 4 bikes, the bike in the photo is a very heavy electric bike so the unit is very heavy duty. It's a Surco DBR400 OSI Swing Away Hitch Mount Bike Rack. I got it on Amazon for $247. The clamp that holds down all the bike locks so they are secure when you are away from your vehicle:
Bikerack.jpg

Back
Top Bottom